Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said if he isn’t elected president, the population of African-American males is likely to either wind up in prison or dead.

At an MTV/MySpace.com forum Thursday, Edwards responded to a question about inner-city kids partaking in violence by saying there was no “silver bullet” to fight the problem.

“We start with the president of the United States saying to America, ‘we cannot build enough prisons to solve this problem. And the idea that we can keep incarcerating and keep incarcerating — pretty soon we’re not going to have a young African-American male population in America. They’re all going to be in prison or dead. One of the two.”

FOXNews.com - Edwards Predicts Doom for African-American Males - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
John Edwards is not far off. In Riker's Island, 99% of the young males are African-American (Black) and an enormous number are under the age of 19.

A unintended consequence of poverty is incarceration.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:16 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
What did Mr Edwards say about the 70% illigitimate birth rate, if anything? You know, the 800 lb. gorilla.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
John Edwards is not far off. In Riker's Island, 99% of the young males are African-American (Black) and an enormous number are under the age of 19.

A unintended consequence of poverty is incarceration.
Having watched this a bit, I think you might have it upside down and backwards.

While there are some poor innocent folks in jail, who lacked good legal defense, that is not the case for most. And there are plenty of poor folks who are not criminals, and have never been in jail.

On the other hand, there are very few criminals who do not cause lower incomes and quality of life for all around them --

Means crime helps cause poverty -- not really that poverty causes crime.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 PM

Let's agree to disagree! - rather than assume or presume one of us is wrong and another right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Having watched this a bit, I think you might have it upside down and backwards.

While there are some poor innocent folks in jail, who lacked good legal defense, that is not the case for most. And there are plenty of poor folks who are not criminals, and have never been in jail.

On the other hand, there are very few criminals who do not cause lower incomes and quality of life for all around them --

Means crime helps cause poverty -- not really that poverty causes crime.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM

110 posts, read 355,907 times
blacks, unlike whites, are not threatened by any such decline in population. infact, black population growth is increasing dramatically in america and abroad.

if we take edward's argument, we must also factor in that blacks reach sexual maturity the earliest and are quite sexually active by their pre-teen years. so even if by 19, they continue to enjoy their conjugal visits, they would have already impregnated enough to span a lifetime of fornication.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Let's agree to disagree! - rather than assume or presume one of us is wrong and another right!
Sure - did not mean right or wrong, or even an opening to debate -- just pondering.

From what I have observed from life in the 'hood and near the big house -- it seems Crime destroys wealth -- whether in the hood where a family car is stolen -- or even the gasoline in the tank -- folks can't get to work -- lose a job, on and on and on.

And on the top end, too. Enron (etc) execs do their rip-off games -- billions in wealth destroyed overnight. Innocent folks go from good retirement to near food stamps.

Whether the theft of a car or corporate security fraud, it seems the criminals (and our tolerance of them) that causes the problems, and the poverty.

I have very rarely seen the condition where someone is so poor they must steal to eat -- i.e., an actual case of poverty causing crime.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM

I believe there are two sides to the issue: yours and mine.

If someone grows up in an environment of poverty, they may learn to work hard and get ahead, or they may look around at the "hood" Caddies and learn to sell speed. The latter can get you into jail.

As for the crimes you mention, these are committed for reasons of greed, need, laziness, among others.

The hood often leads directly to the big house, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sure - did not mean right or wrong, or even an opening to debate -- just pondering.

From what I have observed from life in the 'hood and near the big house -- it seems Crime destroys wealth -- whether in the hood where a family car is stolen -- or even the gasoline in the tank -- folks can't get to work -- lose a job, on and on and on.

And on the top end, too. Enron (etc) execs do their rip-off games -- billions in wealth destroyed overnight. Innocent folks go from good retirement to near food stamps.

Whether the theft of a car or corporate security fraud, it seems the criminals (and our tolerance of them) that causes the problems, and the poverty.

I have very rarely seen the condition where someone is so poor they must steal to eat -- i.e., an actual case of poverty causing crime.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Boy, that vid was a waste of time. In other words, he has no idea what the Pres. of the US can do to force people to take full advantage of public education, not consider breeding a source of pride and entertainment and raising your kids as parents are supposed to . To be fair to Edwards, I have no idea how you can force people to own up to their responsibilities as citizens either.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Well, for a start all their government "goodies" could be taken away, then see who sinks or swims.......but better get out the saws and hammers, we'll need even more incarceration sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections