Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Getting tired of all the nonsense being jammed down our throats by the two big parties.
Republicans throw out the religious right, I will happily become a republican again.
I have never been a republican but would gladly consider it if the religious right were not such a huge part of the GOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The two political parties we have in this country are not set in stone. They are prone to gradual change/influence, corruption and a lack of direction/ideas due to people like the OP that support these bureaucracies no matter what the hell they do. Today, the 2 parties have compromised with eachother and each side upholds the status-quo policies that have left us drained and in debt, no matter which "side" is elected. So in essence there is now only one party that is actually the worst aspects of both.

Democrats no longer care about constantly being at war or protecting citizens from corporate power and influence.
Republicans no longer care about limited Government or being financially conservative.

Independents think for themselves and address each issue as it should be, independently and without bias. IMO, people so strongly attached to a political party do not have the ability to think for themselves and need something more powerful and influential than them to spout off all their positions for them. It is very LAZY.
ITA with this. I am an independent because I can think and won't let someone ram their ideologies down my throat and tell me what to think. That is what I think of hardline party followers - they cannot think for themselves and they need to have someone tell them what issues should be important to them.

I especially agree with the bolded above. Dems and Republicans have both changed drastically over the past 50 years. I am a socially liberal, fiscally conservative independent and if there weren't such a strong presence of social conservatives in the republican party (that and many followers who spout about black people needing so and so - which is also a sore spot for me with dems but dems usually are not calling me freeloader at least - then I would more than likely be a republican).

Personally I see the democrats becoming more like the republicans of old but they still have a lot of liberal views but they remind me of the historical republican party moreso than actual republicans, who mostly remind me of religious nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Getting tired of all the nonsense being jammed down our throats by the two big parties.
Republicans throw out the religious right, I will happily become a republican again.
I would also vote Republican if they would just get rid of the influence of the religious fundamentalists and shift their focus off of the social issues. I end up voting for Democrats mainly in the hope that they will be able to at least block or moderate the power currently wielded by the Christian Taliban.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Who says independants don't know who to vote for? They just see the huge failings of both parties and the terrible candidates and have to carefully weigh who will do the least damage. Or they see that there isn't really any real difference between them so they have to consider other factors into their vote. If anything, they put far more thought and consideration into their vote than other voters. And thats why many won't vote for either major party but will stage a protest vote. Say its wasting a vote, but voting for a bad candidate who wins or might win is more of a wasted vote than a vote for a good candidate who has no chance of winning.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
I am independent because neither party represents my interests in Washington. They represent their corporate sponsors.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
I am an independent because I am disgusted with the way the political system is set up.

Both parties are basically prostitutes, selling themselves and the country out to the highest bidder, foreign and domestic.

Most Americans don't seem to mind bending over backwards for these clowns but I'm glad an ever increasing amount are beginning to think enough is enough.

Independents will be the ones that will keep the mindless partisans from destroying the Republic due to their all consuming hatred of the other side.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
The problem is that we independents rarely get someone we can be enthusiastic voting for.

Obama has hardly been a hit over the past four years. He stands to cost me a small fortune with his proposed tax increases, he has continued the previous administration's policy of fighting unnecessary wars and he seriously botched health care reform when he had the votes to push through a real improvement in our system.

On the other hand, Romney looks like he doesn't stand for anything. He seems caught between the reality of moving to the center in order to get elected and the lunatic extreme right win christian fundamentalists who seem to own the GOP. Can anyone really trust anything he says?

So, as usual, we will hold our noses and vote for the least bad option.

And I am still waiting to get a reply from the Romney camp to my questions.

So to answer the OP. We are independents because we think you both suck.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Independents are a big part of who wins an election. My problem with them is this: How can you seriously not know who you're going to vote for in an election that is down to two different people? Two different sides of the coin....

Seems Independents may be the ones who get swayed by ads on tv. Why? They are 30 second spots that dont have to prove anything, just throw mud. If you are so easily swayed by an ad, how bright can you really be?

Do Independents not have any beliefs or views of their own? If you did, then you should know who you're voting for by now and not have your vote change with the wind direction. If you dont have something you believe in, then find it, and stand by it.

The whole notion of being Independent may sound good at first, it is nice to not have a Left vs Right battle, but its a problem when it seems you almost "dont care" and let your vote just go with the wind, latest trend, latest ads, etc.

Sorry, I dont think it came out like I hoped. I feel like I couldve made better points. Today was a wake up late day for me, just now drinking coffee fresh out of bed and this thought about Independents came to me. If you can expound, please do. Many of you can lay it out better than I can, even if I were more awake.
I'm sure there are many independents who know who they'll vote for in the upcoming election. Some because they like a candidate, others because they hate one. It's really the party line voters who aren't very bright. A simple choice of voting party lines for a simple voter. No need to understand the issues, just be a good little lemming and vote for who you're told to vote for. Independents do more research of the issues then party liners. Seems to me that the party liners are the "don't care" voters as long as they vote along the party lines. This 2 party system sucks big time but hey, what do you care? You know who you'll vote for in the 2016 election already. Just keep voting those party lines.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Independents are a big part of who wins an election. My problem with them is this: How can you seriously not know who you're going to vote for in an election that is down to two different people? Two different sides of the coin....
Doesn't an independent just pick who they "like" better.
Both the Dem and Republican Party pretty much have the
same foreign policy and their spending doesn't change.
That's the main reason we have an out of control deficit and
will continue to have one, until it collapses.

But I get your point; most folks know where they stand on the big issues.
I know a lot of folks pride themselves on being "independents" but I don't really
get it either.

I'm a declared Libertarian. I vote my party because of our platform. Not in spite of it.
I can't see voting for the "individual" if they don't support the same main issues I do.

But then, since Libertarians are really the best of all sides, I'm quite content to
be one

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am an independent.

I have sent a message to Romney via his Facebook page asking him his position on 1) tax increases I can expect and 2) reducing health care costs. Which way I vote will partially depend on the response I get. I will consider no response as very negative.
No personal response from a Presidential candidate to a message you posted on his Facebook page is "very negative" to you?!?!??!!

In other words, you've already decided to vote for Obama. It's either that, or you're a completely unreasonable person, as any reasonable person wouldn't expect that kind of attention, and would take a look at what he says, does and the information he releases throughout the campaign to find the information they're looking for - especially on topics as broad as those, that EVERYONE is interested in.

Like I said, it's clear that you've already decided to vote for Obama.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:

Seems Independents may be the ones who get swayed by ads on tv. Why? They are 30 second spots that dont have to prove anything, just throw mud. If you are so easily swayed by an ad, how bright can you really be?

Do Independents not have any beliefs or views of their own? If you did, then you should know who you're voting for by now and not have your vote change with the wind direction. If you dont have something you believe in, then find it, and stand by it.

The whole notion of being Independent may sound good at first, it is nice to not have a Left vs Right battle, but its a problem when it seems you almost "dont care" and let your vote just go with the wind, latest trend, latest ads, etc.

Sorry, I dont think it came out like I hoped. I feel like I couldve made better points. Today was a wake up late day for me, just now drinking coffee fresh out of bed and this thought about Independents came to me. If you can expound, please do. Many of you can lay it out better than I can, even if I were more awake.

Did you actually ask an indi? Probably not. I vote for who I think will do the best job. I do my homework, look at voting records, etc. I don't vote along party lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections