Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times

Advertisements

Contrary to Obama's lie about government creating the Internet......

Who Really Invented the Internet?

Contrary to legend, it wasn't the federal government, and the Internet had nothing to do with maintaining communications during a war.

A telling moment in the presidential race came recently when Barack Obama said: "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." He justified elevating bureaucrats over entrepreneurs by referring to bridges and roads, adding: "The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all companies could make money off the Internet."

It's an urban legend that the government launched the Internet. The myth is that the Pentagon created the Internet to keep its communications lines up even in a nuclear strike. The truth is a more interesting story about how innovation happens—and about how hard it is to build successful technology companies even once the government gets out of the way.

READ MORE

Last edited by jt800; 07-24-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Everything you are posting is big fat lies I see your eating sleeping Faux Snooze & Rush. Another lame troll is going on ignor

Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Everything you are posting is big fat lies I see you eating sleeping Faux Snooze & Rush. Another lame troll is going on ignor

That would be par for the course for a Liberal......

a) Hide from the FACTS

b) Whatever you do don't bother reading the truth

c) Post nothing in rebuttal to the topic

PS: That link leads to the Wall Street Journal...LOL!!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
The "invention" of the internet is far more complex than Obama would like you to think. However, inventing the internet would have been a much better example of a bunch of folks working together to make things happen.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Everything you are posting is big fat lies I see your eating sleeping Faux Snooze & Rush. Another lame troll is going on ignor
The OP linked to the Wall Street Journal.. You linked to..

nothing..

Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Contrary to Obama's lie about government creating the Internet......

Who Really Invented the Internet?

Contrary to legend, it wasn't the federal government, and the Internet had nothing to do with maintaining communications during a war.

A telling moment in the presidential race came recently when Barack Obama said: "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." He justified elevating bureaucrats over entrepreneurs by referring to bridges and roads, adding: "The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all companies could make money off the Internet."

It's an urban legend that the government launched the Internet. The myth is that the Pentagon created the Internet to keep its communications lines up even in a nuclear strike. The truth is a more interesting story about how innovation happens—and about how hard it is to build successful technology companies even once the government gets out of the way.

READ MORE

You're kiddin' me? It wasn't Al Gore who invented the internet, but the Bush family? :roll eyes:

Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
A thorough tear down of that ridiculous piece:

WSJ mangles history to argue government didn’t launch the Internet | Ars Technica

Perhaps next time Crovitz can try having some idea what he's talking about.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I always had a problem with the claim that the government created the internet. I was an avid computer hobbyist in the early 80's when the whole PC thing started (we called them 'microcomputers.' 'PC' didn't really catch on till the IBM PC came out, I think around 1982. The real genesis to me was with something called BBS systems, which was popularized by a hobbyist named Ward Christensen in Chicago. He wrote the software in 8086 assembly language and I believe it was distributed for free. It was all a labor of love. IIRC he worked for IBM, but it was a long time ago, and I can't recall for sure. People would connect via modem, typically 1200 baud.

That was the first widespread use of computers owned and used by the average joe to communicate with other home users, share tips, data etc. There were also a few attempts by companies to provide modem accesible services, such as Compuserve, but none were very popular or successful.

Anyway, after that the idea of the internet was inevitable. It was just a matter of more powerful hardware and time. And it was done by a private hobbyist with zero gov't involvement. So I would argue that if anyone 'invented the internet' it was Ward Christensen. Actually it kind of invented itself. Given the introduction of microcomputers in the 70's, and the fact that people were using modems with them almost from the start. It was inevitable that something like the internet would come about.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
A thorough tear down of that ridiculous piece:

WSJ mangles history to argue government didn’t launch the Internet | Ars Technica

Perhaps next time Crovitz can try having some idea what he's talking about.
What did they tear down? Looks like they just added additional information.

But what your link fails to recognize is that it was Leonard Kleinrock of MIT had published the first paper on packet switching theory in the early 1960's, which DARPA used as a platform, and it was UCLA and Stanford who managed to send the first message, not the government.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
What I'd always read was that the concept was developed as a collaborative effort between government and industry in the early 60s. The DOD and university systems came up with the early technology/basic research, and it was further applied and refined by industry. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, seems to back that up. I think calling the involvement of the department of defense, MIT and UC Berkley an "urban legend" pretty much shoots the credibility of your article to pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

For the record, most of the big advances we've made have come out of government creating basic research, and giving it to industry, who in turn does the applied research to turn it into products.

Last edited by mb1547; 07-24-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections