Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 07:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times

Advertisements

The Daily Caller has published the debate schedule (3) and one VP one.

The dates are Oct 3, 11 (VP), 16 and 22.

The topics and locations are here:

When are the 2012 presidential debates? | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
Has Romney actually agreed to this yet?

The poor guy probably won't have a chance. He'll come across as stilted and uninspired, which is exactly how he comes across on the campaign trail. He'll be up against a very glib and personable opponent who can speak off the cuff better than he can.

Will we have a repeat of Kennedy/Nixon?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

The poor guy probably won't have a chance. He'll come across as stilted and uninspired, which is exactly how he comes across on the campaign trail. He'll be up against a very glib and personable opponent who can speak off the cuff better than he can.

Were you even alive during the Kennedy/Nixon debates? As for approving the sitting candidate is the one that does or does not approve the debates, not the other way around. As for speaking off the cuff: Obama is a great speaker but not a great debater: there is a difference. when things are presented to him ahead of time and he had his teleprompter as his friend he is a charming, speaker. When he is speaking off the cuff,he says things that often come back to bite him and he makes serious mistakes. I think Romney, whether dynamic or not will hold his own very well.

Nita

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM

1,403 posts, read 938,951 times
So what? They both spout the same crap so why even watch them? Now if they let Johnson in I would watch them to see the crowds reaction to truth and honesty.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Former Romney & Obama Classmate Says President Will ‘Smoke’ Romney in Debates

“He said that, while he respects both men, President Obama will “smoke” Romney in the presidential debates in the fall and the best that Romney can hope for is that he does not “come out looking like a fool.”

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Really? Do you remember the McCain/Obama debate with Rick Warren?

"WARREN: That was a freebie. That was a gimme. That was a gimme, OK? Now, let's deal with abortion; 40 million abortions since Roe v. Wade. As a pastor, I have to deal with this all of the time, all of the pain and all of the conflicts. I know this is a very complex issue. Forty million abortions, at what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?

OBAMA: Well, you know, I think that whether you're looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity, you know, is above my pay grade. "

CNN.com - Transcripts

Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM

The part I don't get is "undecided voters" on October 16. They get to ask questions. These people who don't know squat and haven't been paying attention (because the choices are pretty clear) get the privilege of asking questions. Either they are shining people on about being undecided or these are the clueless dopes who, for example, when stopped on the street can't name the Vice President when shown a photo of him.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The part I don't get is "undecided voters" on October 16. They get to ask questions. These people who don't know squat and haven't been paying attention (because the choices are pretty clear) get the privilege of asking questions. Either they are shining people on about being undecided or these are the clueless dopes who, for example, when stopped on the street can't name the Vice President when shown a photo of him.
You have a point there, and I have as little patience with the "undecideds" (aka, clueless) as you. Although assuming they reasonably screen for true "undecideds", at least they wil cut down on the chances of the loaded "strawman" and partisan questions of the sort like, "so when did you become a Muslim, lose your birth certificate, and stop beating your wife?"!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM

756 posts, read 715,337 times
Quote:

Well, Shady Mitt does seem to have a good bit in common with Nixon...

Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times
With the race a dead heat right now, I think the whole thing could now hinge on the debates. A lot of people who don't follow the race closely do tune in for the debates.

The moderators are all lefties, but there is one interesting twist. The debate commission chair was Mike McCurry, who was press sec'y to Bill Clinton. I tend to think that Bill Clinton never quite got over having Team Obama play the race card on him in SC. Sure he'll get up on stage tonight and say all the right things in support of Obama. But is it possible that he might have already run a back door play thru his old pal McCurry? Sure it's a conspiracy theory--just something to keep an eye on, though.

Princeton Basketball Classic Backdoor Lay-Up - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections