Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I have no doubt as a Pennsylvanian that Romney will carry PA.

- PA elected a Republican Governor in 2010
- PA elected a majority Republican legislature
- 2010 was a referendum on Obama
- Unemployment under the Republicans in PA has dropped dramatically in 2 years
- Obama insulted Pennsylvanians with his "gun and bibles" comment
- Obama saying he would put the coal industry out of business pissed-off a huge number of people who work in coal or related industries.
Don't put all yout eggs in one basket. Just because we elected a GOP G.A. and a GOP governor doesn't mean this state will pull for Romney. We've been voting for the Democrat president since the late 1980s even though the governorship and legislature change parties frequently. Pennsylvania will remain a tossup until election day, but I'd say the state slightly leans Obama

Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Will PA be able to use the voter ID they passed? If they can,Romney has a good chance.

It was used in the last primary elections in PA. I was asked to show my ID even though the people at the polling place personally knew me.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Don't put all yout eggs in one basket. Just because we elected a GOP G.A. and a GOP governor doesn't mean this state will pull for Romney. We've been voting for the Democrat president since the late 1980s even though the governorship and legislature change parties frequently. Pennsylvania will remain a tossup until election day, but I'd say the state slightly leans Obama

Since 2010 was indeed a referendum on Obama, I do not agree with you at all.

Mind telling us what part of PA you live in? If I lived in the Philly or (not as much) in Allegheny County, I'd probably think that way too. When you get outside of those Democratic strongholds...not so much.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I have no doubt as a Pennsylvanian that Romney will carry PA.

- PA elected a Republican Governor in 2010
- PA elected a majority Republican legislature
- 2010 was a referendum on Obama
- Unemployment under the Republicans in PA has dropped dramatically in 2 years
- Obama insulted Pennsylvanians with his "gun and bibles" comment
- Obama saying he would put the coal industry out of business pissed-off a huge number of people who work in coal or related industries.
-Unemployment has dropped in every state since 2010.
-Republicans did win big in 2010 after Democrats won big in 2008. Things can change drastically in 2 years.
-Republicans have spent their time since 2010 indulging in birther conspiracies and passing legislation against gays, women and minorities. They have yet to put any focus on the economy really at all, so trying to suggest they are responsible is kind of laughable. They have been entirely extremist when they're not being entirely obstructionist.
-2010 was a referendum on the economy.
-Obama won PA in 2008, the same year he actually made the comment in reference. Why would it have anymore power in 2012 than it did in 2008??
-Meanwhile, PA has benefitted from the natural gas boom and the healthy auto industry, something Romney didn't support. This likely effects far more people than those Obama may or may not have upset over coal.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I'm pretty confident about Pennsylvania this year. Obama has been so bad that even deep blue Pennsylvania will be in play.
You guys seem so confident over one of the most medicore, gaffe-prone Republican candidates in history, I'm surprised you haven't called California for Romney at this point. You've pretty much done so for every other traditional Blue state. It's getting as ridiculous as Romney's foreign diplomatic skills.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
FYI: Susequaenna is a Republican polling firm.

Still no reply when I asked for some proof that this is true. I have a strong feeling, it's totally false. From reading what I could gather there, the place seems to be completely neutral.

If you can prove something else, I'd be curious to see it.

From their website under "ABOUT US":

Launched in October 2001, PoliticsPA.com is the most comprehensive resource for observers of the Pennsylvania political scene. It’s edited by Sy Snyder, a pseudonym for the people working on the site. Sy has no relation to Simon Snyder, the former governor of Pennsylvania, and no members of the new ownership group listed below participate in the site’s daily editing and content-related decisions.
The current owners, who purchased the site in January 2007, intend it to be a one-stop shop for political junkies in every part of the state. That means headlines updated throughout the day, press releases, features crafted by contributors from every side of the political aisle, our own original reporting, and tips from you, the readers.

That’s the key to PoliticsPA.com’s continued success. You can impact how useful and relevant the site becomes. Send information about campaigns, elections and politics and we’ll respect your confidentiality. Email links, cartoons, news reports, or anything else you believe your fellow political junkies would enjoy taking a look at. Link your Web site to ours. And give us feedback, even if you don’t agree with what we say.

Thanks for making this site a part of your routine each day. And as always, any questions, comments, tips, or insults should be directed to Sy Snyder.
Larry Ceisler, Ceisler Media LLC
Jeff Jubelirer, Jubelirer Strategies
David Urban, David Metzner and Shawn Smeallie, American Continental Group
Keegan Gibson
Managing Editor
keegan-at-politicspa.com
Comment Policy:
We strive for open dialogue and debate, and in politics that isn’t always nice or friendly. However, comments on the site must not cross the line into personal attacks. Criticizing someone’s ideas or job performance is in bounds. Personal attacks are not.
Comments violating this policy will be edited or deleted.
Note: If a comment is challenged by another reader for violating this policy, the moderator will send a message to the email address associated with the comment, giving the commenter the opportunity to defend it. Thus, if the email address used to post a comment is invalid, you forfeit your ability to defend the comment.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
-Unemployment has dropped in every state since 2010.

Unemployment rates rise in 27 states as more look for work

WASHINGTON – Unemployment rates rose in 27 states last month, the most in almost a year.

The Labor Department said Friday that unemployment rates fell in 11 states and Washington, D.C. — the fewest declines since August. Rates were unchanged in 12 states.

Nationwide, employers added only 80,000 jobs last month, third straight month of weak job growth. The national unemployment rate stayed at 8.2%.

Still, 29 states added jobs in June, up from 27 in May. Unemployment rates can rise when jobs are created because more people who are out of work start looking for jobs. That increases the size of the labor force. The number of Americans searching for jobs nationwide increased last month.

Quote:
-2010 was a referendum on the economy.
Hardly.....the Democrats that won in PA were ones that distanced themselves from Obama. Such as Altmyer who wouldn't vote for Obamacare.

Quote:
-Meanwhile, PA has benefitted from the natural gas boom and the healthy auto industry, something Romney didn't support. This likely effects far more people than those Obama may or may not have upset over coal.
And the gas boom can't be creditted to Obama at all.....private business on private property. And I don't know how much the auto industry helps PA anymore.

The COAL industry and it's related businesses employ FAR more people in PA than any auto related stuff.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Dream on

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Pennsylvania: Romney vs. Obama

and plus romney is looking like a pure fool overseas.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
The only number that is going to matter is how many people get out to vote in Nov. Polls are meaningless at this point.

For example, the Huffington Post, in a poll updated today, has Obama leading in Penn by a margin of 6.3%.

Obama vs. Romney Electoral Map

Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Susquehanna Poll: Obama

Remember, despite what a few of the lefties on this forum say, Pennsylvania is NOT a swing state. The last Republican to win it in a presidential election was Bush Sr. in 1988.

Obama and Romney are statistically tied in this poll.
If a state is tied in the polls, it IS a swing state.

It doesn't matter who they voted for in prior years.

What matters is whether the race in 2012 is tight. PA is a swing state. You are the only person that thinks otherwise, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections