Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

and we all need to pay attention to everything we see on PBS, it is so middle of the road.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sesame Street has made untold millions off of PBS. Why shouldn't we expect the franchises that profit off of PBS kick in more to support it?
You have it backwards. PBS has made millions of dollars off Sesame Street.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,813,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The quality of a society can be measured by how well it cares for the weakest of that society.
Agreed. But you make the fundamental mistake most people make, which is thinking that government = society. It's not.

Society is a group of people with shared interests. Government is an authority/governing body which rules over that group of people. Taking care of the weakest in the society is the role of you and I, because we do it out of free will. We produce stuff. We generate wealth by our labor, which we can donate to the poor and the needy. The government cannot "take care" of someone without stealing from someone else. How is that if I point a gun to your head and take money from you, it's a crime and when the government does it, it's not?

If you want to take care of the needy, do it with your own money. Don't use the government to rob others to do it for you. That's not the intended role of the government. That they do it now does not make it OK. The ONLY function...and I repeat, the ONLY function of the government is to protect our liberties, and NOTHING ELSE. Everything else should be done by free people, in a free market, with no restraints.

If I don't watch PBS or use Planned Parenthood, why am I being forced to pay for it? Those who use them should pay for it or it should be run like some radio stations - audience-funded. If you don't think PBS will survive in such an environment, then it's proof that it's not economically viable and must be scrapped. Regarding Planned Parenthood, as much as I hate organized religion, people who are religious and morally opposed to abortions shouldn't be forced to fund PP. People who want to perform abortions should do it with their own money or with privately sourced funds.

Government trying to do everything under the sun is exactly why we are so much in debt.

Quote:
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
smdh....I love PBS.
No one wants to take PBS off the air. There are a gazillion channels that sell advertising to support their shows. PBS would just be another one.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Agreed. But you make the fundamental mistake most people make, which is thinking that government = society. It's not.

Society is a group of people with shared interests. Government is an authority/governing body which rules over that group of people. Taking care of the weakest in the society is the role of you and I, because we do it out of free will. We produce stuff. We generate wealth by our labor, which we can donate to the poor and the needy. The government cannot "take care" of someone without stealing from someone else. How is that if I point a gun to your head and take money from you, it's a crime and when the government does it, it's not?

If you want to take care of the needy, do it with your own money. Don't use the government to rob others to do it for you. That's not the intended role of the government. That they do it now does not make it OK. The ONLY function...and I repeat, the ONLY function of the government is to protect our liberties, and NOTHING ELSE. Everything else should be done by free people, in a free market, with no restraints.

If I don't watch PBS or use Planned Parenthood, why am I being forced to pay for it? Those who use them should pay for it or it should be run like some radio stations - audience-funded. If you don't think PBS will survive in such an environment, then it's proof that it's not economically viable and must be scrapped. Regarding Planned Parenthood, as much as I hate organized religion, people who are religious and morally opposed to abortions shouldn't be forced to fund PP. People who want to perform abortions should do it with their own money or with privately sourced funds.

Government trying to do everything under the sun is exactly why we are so much in debt.
Gosh, guess you'll miss the Republican Convention.....

it's on

PBS!!! That "liberal" PUBLICALLY funded TV station.....LOL!!!!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,141,224 times
I dont want to pay for PBS or Planned Parenthood. Since you liberals love them so much, I am sure they will do just fine with your donations. Oh wait, you dont do that. Anything you people want, it has to be payed for by everyone else.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Planned Parenthood could be funded by donations.

PBS could be funded just off profits of Sesame St merchandise sales.

Neither should be paid for by the tax payer.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:53 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I dont want to pay for PBS or Planned Parenthood. Since you liberals love them so much, I am sure they will do just fine with your donations. Oh wait, you dont do that. Anything you people want, it has to be payed for by everyone else.

I pay for other's brats to be educated ...YOU don't pay for YOUR own kid's education. I pay for wars I don't think should be fought. That's how America works. Republicans are spoiled brats who only want what they want and want it for nothing.

I'm sure you'll skip watching the Repug Convention....I will,too....I hate the thought of paying for such crappy sewage laden PBS programs...

Quote:

Good thing you don't get to decide......and never will

Ya, PBS is EDUCATIONAL, CULTURAL, INFORMATIVE and FAIR.....how Repugs hate that!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No one wants to take PBS off the air. There are a gazillion channels that sell advertising to support their shows. PBS would just be another one.
You don't get it. If they sold advertising, they wouldn't be PBS!

Quote:

Planned Parenthood is funded partly by donations and partly by patient fees, NOW! I'm really losing patience with people who know nothing about health care funding/financing thinking they have the Holy Grail.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't get it. If they sold advertising, they wouldn't be PBS!

Planned Parenthood is funded partly by donations and partly by patient fees, NOW! I'm really losing patience with people who know nothing about health care funding/financing thinking they have the Holy Grail.

Ok. then any government funding should be taken away. And there is no reason we need to be paying for a tv channel. That should not be tax payer funded. PBS can take in donations. If they are so widely respected and appreciated, let them exist by donations or with money from Sesame Street merchandise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections