Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Should be touting FORDS success as they did not take a bail out!
Was that you in the audience with the FORD sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Try using some sales figures for the Volt that are a little more recent than last March:
Chevy Volt Sales Still Sizzling, Nissan LEAF Slumps in April 2012 | PluginCars.com

......LOL

GM just announced they were ceasing production of the Volt due to lack of sales.

Quote:
Keep working, GM! Thanks for the added jobs!
The bailout of GM didn't ADD jobs...in FACT, it LOST jobs!! Plants were closed down, dealerships and all the people who worked at them were closed down. Non-union employees lost ALL their benefits and retirement funds.

Keep working TAXPAYERS......you need to in order to support GM and the burden it is on you and the economy.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Should be touting FORDS success as they did not take a bail out!
I agree!

Ford didn't mis-manage their company and need a bail out.

Ford cars are now rated very highly to boot.

And when Ford did a commercial touting the fact that they didn't take a bail out, the Obama administration threatened them ala Chicago politics to force them to pull the ads.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM

For the record… If the administration treated the UAW in the manner required by bankruptcy law, it could have saved U.S. taxpayers $26.5 billion.

Quote:
President Obama touts the bailout of General Motors and Chrysler as one of the signature successes of his administration. He argues that the estimated $23 billion the taxpayers lost was worth paying to avoid massive job losses. However, our research finds that the president could have both kept the auto makers running and avoided losing money.

The preferential treatment given to the United Auto Workers accounts for the American taxpayers' entire losses from the bailout. Had the UAW received normal treatment in standard bankruptcy proceedings, the Treasury would have recouped its entire investment. Three irregularities in the bankruptcy case resulted in a windfall to the UAW.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The bailout saved FORD also.
Ford did not take a Bail out.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
The Chevy Volt Disaster Keeps Getting Worse | Republic-MainStreet

And isn't it funny how there was absolutely no mention of Cash for Clunkers at the DNC?

Or Jeffrey Immelt and GE not paying any taxes and outsourcing its X-Ray division to China?

Remind me again how long it took The Anointed One to visit the Gulf after the BP spill?
Ha I know cash for clunkers was such a GREAT HIT! Ha

GM ...has allays put out inferior cars and always will because it more about the profit margin than quality when it comes to GM...

Now, now, now, lets not bring up Jeffery Immelt GE the liberals don't want to hear about his outsourcing jobs to China in the tens of thousands.... and how he is now the obama white house job czar responsible for getting americans back to work. Bwahaahaahaa

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
......LOL

GM just announced they were ceasing production of the Volt due to lack of sales.

The bailout of GM didn't ADD jobs...in FACT, it LOST jobs!! Plants were closed down, dealerships and all the people who worked at them were closed down. Non-union employees lost ALL their benefits and retirement funds.

Keep working TAXPAYERS......you need to in order to support GM and the burden it is on you and the economy.
All the Big 3 are shutting down their factories right now. This is the time of year that close and re-tool for the 2013 models and for entirely new cars that will be introduced at the winter auto shows. If the Volt is outselling the Leaf and other competitors, it's obvious that lack of sales didn't shut down the production.

In preparation for these yearly shutdowns, all vehicle production is kicked up during the late spring and summer, so they will have sufficient inventories on hand during the shutdown.

I'm not boosting GM. I have bought some GM vehicles, but I've also owned iron from Ford and Chrysler. I'm also pretty sure that, if those non-union employees actually did lose what you claimed, going back to work was better than being laid off.

Remember that Chrysler was also bailed out, and it, too, is doing quite well. Where is the Chrysler bashing?

And why do you bash the Volt? If you don't want to buy one, no big deal. No one is forcing one on you. What's better, jt? Leaving an entire market segment to only the foreign car companies?

Face some facts- oil is never going to be as cheap as it was 4 years ago, or 3 years ago. With almost half of the world's population in China and India, where millions of people who have never owned an automobile are now growing prosperous enough to buy one, where do you think increasingly more of the oil will go?

You may harbor the hopes that oil will go down to a buck a gallon, but it simply ain't gonna happen. The United States either has to stay ahead of alternate technology or face spending increasingly more of our incomes just to get there from here.

Or is your plan is to just guzzle up the oil while it lasts, then go buy a horse to get you to work and back?

I won't live long enough to see it, but you may. There will come a time when none of us will be buying any vehicle that requires only gasoline for fuel in the near future. I sure as hell don't want the choices to be only Chinese, Japanese, or other foreign cars when it happens.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Ford did not take a Bail out.
They knew it was necessary for the whole industry.

Ford Executive: Automaker Doesn't Need Bailout : NPR

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Ha I know cash for clunkers was such a GREAT HIT! Ha

GM ...has allays put out inferior cars and always will because it more about the profit margin than quality when it comes to GM...

Now, now, now, lets not bring up Jeffery Immelt GE the liberals don't want to hear about his outsourcing jobs to China in the tens of thousands.... and how he is now the obama white house job czar responsible for getting americans back to work. Bwahaahaahaa
Well, I'm going to take issue with you on pre-Govt. Motors cars. I love my 2000 Impala. It's got a Corvette engine and everyone thinks it's an unmarked police car.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
All the Big 3 are shutting down their factories right now. This is the time of year that close and re-tool for the 2013 models and for entirely new cars that will be introduced at the winter auto shows. If the Volt is outselling the Leaf and other competitors, it's obvious that lack of sales didn't shut down the production.

Ummmmm...hello???

GM halts Volt production to reduce inventories

USA Today
by: James R. Healey
Monday, August 27, 2012

General Motors will likely suspend production of the Chevrolet Volt electric car for four weeks to trim swollen inventories.

General Motors is halting, for a month, the manufacture of its well-known but seldom-sold Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car, according to trade publication Automotive News.

It would be the second interruption in production for the Volt, which can go 38 miles on battery power before needing a recharge from its gasoline engine or via a plug-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections