Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You have a good point and I repped you for it. But, there is another side to this as well. Older people often have no choice about working longer. The get laid off in downturns or because they cost more than younger employees or their skills become dated and they have a very difficult time getting back into the workforce due to age discrimination. How many companies do you see with 70 yo sales people. The older ones end up taking menial jobs bagging groceries or stocking shelves - jobs needed by younger Americans who lack the skills and education to hold more demanding positions. So while it is great for some to call for working longer, the reality is that is not really an attractive option for the reasons you mention as well as the fact that it is darn near impossible to remain employed in a good paying job until age 70 in our society. Maybe we need to come to grips with the idea that we need to help older Americans after the inevitable squeeze out of the workforce to have some financial stability instead of squandering our treasure on wars and tax cuts for billionaires.
You beat me to it! Older people are often the first laid off b/c they cost more, and the last hired d/t age discrimination. I have seen this in my own neighborhood of high-tech workers. Lots of Boomers working as "consultants"; one is a handyman now.

Also, those of us who do physical labor, such as nurses, construction workers, other laborers, even doctors in private practice get to the point where we physically cannot be on our feet all day long. I'm looking forward to retirement. I wouldn't have said that 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Actually, you are more the comodian....why can't one wait to retire? Is one forced to stop working..not really. No, I am not young, but not old....and what does that have anything to do with allowing people a chance to invest part of their ss? Again, you are not answering my question. You are saying people should not be allowed to take part of their SS and invest, as your perception that it is too much risk. I am saying, you, nor the GOvt should not tell me how much risk I can take with my own money.
See above re: why can't one wait to retire. See below for why some should retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You illustrate a certain blindness to the fact that we also have a lot of 20 and 30 somethings sitting around doing nothing or advancing their careers as workers on the late night shift at 7/11 or Mickey Ds.
Many of these people are degreeed professionals but it doesn't really matter. The last thing you might want to do is keep high paying jobs in the hands of our seniors who believe they are indispensible and are being paid top dollar. In my profession "Physics" most tenured senior scientists still think they are on the top of their game and never want to quit or retire. They also get paid the equivalent of 2-3 junior hires. I know a lot of scientistys who have made it who want to die with their boots on. So this might be a problem if you think the new blood or ideas a a good thing in American science. But in the end this doesn't really matter because who runs American science these days , you guessed it aging grey hairs who have tenure and who still are the decision makers! Retirement where do you come up with such silliness!
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
It seems to me (I'm 31) and a lot of people I know, that people under about 35 have no expectation of social security and Medicare being around when they reach retirement age. Because of this, we seem to have much less of an issue with people touching them and aren't really as concerned about Paul Ryan's plan as people a bit older than ourselves. This seems to apply even to those who don't otherwise support the Republicans. Is it me just being weird or does anybody else notice this too?
Our generation better be concerned. Just because they won't affect you or me personally doesn't mean it won't be a detriment or bring hardship to those older than us, including our parents, grandparents, and other relatives. Expect to see more seniors living with or being supported by their children if traditional Medicare is replaced with Ryan's voucher program.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I honestly don't remember my age when the age for SS/Medicare was upped, but it didn't upset me or anybody I knew, including older people (I worked for a very large corporation), nor did the world come to an end.

The sooner you youngsters come to grips with the fact that changes must be made or you're screwed, the sooner we can move on. You can either let people like Paul Ryan fix it or you can sit and watch it dwindle away. Your choice. Vote wisely.
Before he cuts the benefits for the under 55 ppl , he needs to cut the defense budget with equal fervor. when I first qualified for SS in 1979, I was told by everyone that I would get that $$ back in my old age- a big lie.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Mastering th genetic-biochemical basis of aging with the possibility of arresting or reversing aging doesn't have to happen for us to have a huge problem. The Baby Boom generation started retiring and becoming Medicare eligable in 2011 which is 65 years and 9 months after after the end of WW 2. hence 1946 when the baby boom started . The Baby Boom is usually taken to have lasted until 1964 so we haven't seen the worst of the surge coming in Medicare costs in the out years!. So all you under 55s are going to have to figure out how you are going to pay for this if you are lucky only a trillion or two dollars a year burden. This is before you can put even a nickel towards your own retirement healthcare! Now if you are smarter than I hope you are, you will reject this Ryan-Romney snake oil and leave Medicare and SS alone because then your kids and maybe their kids will be paying the taxes to cover your Medicare.
Your inacurate. I have not read anything that is snake oil. It seems much more reasonable and adds more choices than the current plans.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You beat me to it! Older people are often the first laid off b/c they cost more, and the last hired d/t age discrimination. I have seen this in my own neighborhood of high-tech workers. Lots of Boomers working as "consultants"; one is a handyman now.

Also, those of us who do physical labor, such as nurses, construction workers, other laborers, even doctors in private practice get to the point where we physically cannot be on our feet all day long. I'm looking forward to retirement. I wouldn't have said that 10 years ago.

See above re: why can't one wait to retire. See below for why some should retire!

Agreed!
You point to a minority of the population and try to generalize to all....simply disagree with this generalization..

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
You point to a minority of the population and try to generalize to all....simply disagree with this generalization..
What do you think the majority of the population is doing to earn a living? Sitting at a desk and going out for three-martini lunches all week long?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Your saying that people are too stupid to manage their own retirement, hence the Govt should make the choice for them. I am saying people should have more of a choice. I would like an option at a higher return, realizing the risks I would take.
In so many words, YES!! I work with elderly ppl and their kids. Not everyone is educated and can make rational decisions unfortunately. There are MANY who can't and will make some unwise choices.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In so many words, YES!! I work with elderly ppl and their kids. Not everyone is educated and can make rational decisions unfortunately. There are MANY who can't and will make some unwise choices.
So your answer is, big brother needs to make it for you? No, not good enough. 300+ million people, and we have to be treated all the same. There should be choice, choice is more important than mandates...
I realize there are uneductated, but the rest of us should not be penalized...

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
So your answer is, big brother needs to make it for you? No, not good enough. 300+ million people, and we have to be treated all the same. There should be choice, choice is more important than mandates...
I realize there are uneductated, but the rest of us should not be penalized...
Why would seniors want a choice between Medicare and Ryan's plan? Ryan's plan is going to cost them a lot more money out of pocket.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you think the majority of the population is doing to earn a living? Sitting at a desk and going out for three-martini lunches all week long?
ha, ha..there are alot more people doing non labor jobs than labor..

I don't know of anyone having 3 martini lunches, what century do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections