Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times

Advertisements

Normally, people say it would be Romney. Not so sure on this one. Gary John is pro-dope. Obama and Romney are both anti-dope. What about the liberals who want to "free the weed"? What about the anti-war libs?

It's intellectually lazy to suggest that these people will mindlessly vote for Obama a second time. Most will, but can you truly say that the rest will instead of skipping November or voting for Gary Johnson? The triangle area of NC, for example, is filled with self-centered overeducated technies. BJ Lawson siphoned a ton of Dem partisan votes from David Price in 2010. I work with these folks everyday. Many are also "cut your nose to spite your face types". I would know, because I am also one of them. I am stumping for Gary Johnson in a swing state and I personally know about a dozen people in my company who are doing the same, mostly lib types. They will convince dozens or hundreds of people to remove their vote for the chosen two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Yeah I gotta say the Johnson voters will most likely be people who would not have voted for Romney anyway. That includes Obama supporters and the most hardcore of Ron Paul supporters. The pro-drugs and anti-war stance of Johnson are more important to the mainstream liberal than fiscal responsibility to Republicans.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Normally, people say it would be Romney. Not so sure on this one. Gary John is pro-dope. Obama and Romney are both anti-dope. What about the liberals who want to "free the weed"? What about the anti-war libs?

It's intellectually lazy to suggest that these people will mindlessly vote for Obama a second time. Most will, but can you truly say that the rest will instead of skipping November or voting for Gary Johnson? The triangle area of NC, for example, is filled with self-centered overeducated technies. BJ Lawson siphoned a ton of Dem partisan votes from David Price in 2010. I work with these folks everyday. Many are also "cut your nose to spite your face types". I would know, because I am also one of them. I am stumping for Gary Johnson in a swing state and I personally know about a dozen people in my company who are doing the same, mostly lib types. They will convince dozens or hundreds of people to remove their vote for the chosen two.
The votes that he will get will mostly come from the GOP, just as the votes for Ron Paul that will still be made even if he did not get the nomination. Add in the womens votes lost, the ultra-conservatves that believe Romney is no different than Obama and the hardcore Christians which will never vote for a Cult (Mormon) member and you end up with the result of .............. Four More Year of President Obama. Enjoy

Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:

I'll trade you my worthless Texas vote for GAry Johnson if you vote for Obama. Don't do it. You saw what happened with Nader in 2000. Even with all of the Florida shenanigans, Gore would have carried the state if he had Naders' votes too.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Who will Gary Johnson really siphon votes from?
Nobody.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The votes that he will get will mostly come from the GOP, just as the votes for Ron Paul that will still be made even if he did not get the nomination. Add in the womens votes lost, the ultra-conservatves that believe Romney is no different than Obama and the hardcore Christians which will never vote for a Cult (Mormon) member and you end up with the result of .............. Four More Year of President Obama. Enjoy
You're speaking out of confirmation bias. You are a right leaning iron fist totalitarian partisan Democrat.

The Research Triangle Park folks are self-absorbed independent minded techies who thinking idealistically, ergo they vote libertarian, green party, or just refuse to vote D/R. That meant Obama in '08 (for a fresh face, to feel cool, and for "hope and change") and not Obama in '12 (divorcing from false hope and change and the coolness isn't as cool the 2nd time around). Many of them smoke weed and are anti-war ideologues. They are also spiteful and do not think big picture, are not team players, and most certainly do not reflect on the "greater good". That is why the latest poll only shows 86% between Obama and Romney and 14% for neither. A huge gap this close to the election. The triangle folks are also extremely fickle as a voter bloc.

But then again, you wouldn't know about RTP folks, would you?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah I gotta say the Johnson voters will most likely be people who would not have voted for Romney anyway.
Ding ding ding!

The only people who'd vote for Obama if Johnson was thuggishly removed from Iowa or NC ballots would be people who spited Romney. Instead of taking away one vote, you actually took away two (not voting for Romney AND voting for Obama)

Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
I while I am certain people have strong feelings about Marijuana, I seriously doubt there are that many single issue Marijuana voters. As to anti-war liberals most will likely vote for Obama. Though they certainly are disillusioned with him about Gitmo and the secretive wars, Obama has pretty much wound down Iraq, which was a major issue for the anti-war left.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I while I am certain people have strong feelings about Marijuana, I seriously doubt there are that many single issue Marijuana voters.
No, but they are pot, war, Gitmo AND patriot act voters. 4 issues now.

Trust me, I work on the Watson project and I work with some of the best and brightest in the tech field, along with peers from Cisco, SAS, NetApp, gsk, etc. One time Obama voters, most of them. Even my academic collaborators at NC State are talking very negatively about Obama this year and were gung ho about him last time. Does that mean they'll support Romney? Probably not, but that's not what we're talking about.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:

I like him and will likely vote for Johnson. I firmly believe we need another party because both main ones are corrupt. Having said that I am in Illinois and there is no way Obama will lose here so really my vote makes no difference anyway.

It's a shame though that a sane moderate rational guy had to leave the Republican Party because the religious crazies have taken it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections