Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,381,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I find it disturbing that liberals display such an envious disdain for great financial success one earns on their own merits that they can think this is a valid reason not to vote for someone.
If you think inheriting it, marrying it, asking mommy and daddy for money or sticking it to people to people to obtain financial success is "earning it on their own merits" then you are in good but dwindling company as a conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,963,881 times
Talk about cherrypicking the quotes, cucunu. There has been ample discussion on this subject in a previous thread, complete with court documents. Bottom line is Ann Romney could not ride the horse because its odd gait (due to the chronic lameness) hurt her back. Despite knowing the horse had these injuries, she decided to sell the horse for $125,000 to an inexperienced buyer. The horse did NOT have injuries at the time Mrs. Romney bought the horse. (Not sure where you invented that fact from.) There were a lot of unethical issues on the part of everyone involved - the trainer, vet, and Mrs. Romney. At the time of inspection, the vet administered 2 narcotic meds, but lab results showed 4 different medications in the horses system. Who administered the other two medications was never determined.

As far as the "envious disdain for great financial success", I will disregard the envious part and just use the word disdain. At least when it comes to viewing someone who has made their fortune on the misery of many, as the Romneys have.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,665,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

Let me reiterate, NCN: The above comment is astonishingly pathetic. All of it. It also has a weird racist undertone to it that I don't think you meant to reveal. Do you blame black ladies for the proliferation of sleeveless dresses or something LOL? No one cares about this but you. It must suck to walk through life staring at other people's forearms. Maybe you should relocate to Saudi Arabia where you don't have to look at any female body parts. The basic consensus is that Michelle Obama is stylish and has good taste. Perhaps you don't think so, but there are also millions of people in the world who believe women need to walk around wearing headscarves and I don't agree with them either.
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. When a speaker gets up and more is said about their clothes then about what they said, the message is lost. I do not accept the words you tried to place in my mouth. How dare you!

I remember what Mrs. Romney said. I remember the dress Mrs. Obama wore and not much else.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If you think inheriting it, [Ted Kennedy] marrying it [John Kerry], asking mommy and daddy for money or sticking it to people to people to obtain financial success is "earning it on their own merits" then you are in good but dwindling company as a conservative.
There is no indication anywhere of impropriety or illegal business dealings anywhere in Mitt Romney's history and if there were, it would be hung out there by every media outlet, not to mention a bevy of lawsuits. Ted Kennedy, John Kerry and Barack Obama have never achieved anything noteworthy in the private sector in their entire lives. Mitt Romney saved the taxpayers of MA a bundle by not taking a salary as governor. Nor did he take a salary for turning the Olympics into a huge success. He earned his success in the business world on his own merits by working hard and making good business decisions that benefited a lot of people. He could have squandered his money or spent it all frivolously but didn't.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I was in a class at church once when the question was asked if anyone had ever been hungry because they could not buy food and had no money to buy some. I was one of the few in the class that had never been hungry because no food was available. I was shocked. We were certainly not the richest in the class. Maybe we were just better managers of our money.

My husband and I were both lucky to have "salt of the earth" parents that were there for us during our rough times. Just as we are here for our children now.

This does not mean that we have lived lavish life styles; but that we have been taught the right way to live. I do not go out and pay $200 for a handbag although I could afford to do so. I am just not that crazy and it does not make me feel good to do such things. I am more than what I eat or wear. Maybe that is the difference in the Romney's of the world.

I saw a post on facebook listing the cost of Michele Obama's frock at the DNC. In my opinion, she would have been more appropriately dressed if she had gone somewhere and bought a nice dressy suit that covered a little more of her. Maybe I have it wrong, but I consider a political convention a business meeting, not a Hollywood runway.
Quote:
I will have to admit that I did not notice what Mrs. Romney was wearing. Was she as uncovered as Mrs. Obama? If so it was not as noticeable. I noticed Mrs. Obama's because when she waved her hand her upper arms waved too. She needed a jacket of some sort on and I don't care what you think about me saying that. I am tired of going shopping and cannot find decent clothes because all the fashion people have sleeveless dresses because the First Lady is wearing that.

I recently went to a local store and was trying on dresses and told the clerk that I could not find anything I cared to try on. A black lady suggested that I try on a dress and I started to tell her that women our age should not show their upper arms but before I took my foot out of my mouth I bit on it while noticing that she had the most horrible upper arms and was wearing a sleeveless dress. She shouldn't have had on a sleeveless dress either. Her upper arms were literally hanging. Money does not buy good taste. Hillary Clinton wears very long jackets to hide her backside. Mrs. Obama would do well to copy her instead of Jackie Kennedy. Jackie Kennedy had a very different body type from Mrs. Obama.

As for clothes and how much one pays for them, as long as the person wearing them is paying for them and does not ask the taxpayer to foot the bill for their other expenses, more power to them. I just choose to spend my money in other ways such as saving so I can leave something to my grandchildren. What I find pathetic are people sitting in church with a very expensive handbag and when the offering plate is passed they have nothing in the handbag to put in it. They sit there with their acrylic nails waiting for their food stamps. Just saying!

Laura Bush was one of the most appropriately dressed First Lady's our country has ever had. When you saw her, you did not notice what she was wearing,
but the entire package said that she was a kind and gentle lady.
Quote:
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. When a speaker gets up and more is said about their clothes then about what they said, the message is lost. I do not accept the words you tried to place in my mouth. How dare you!

I remember what Mrs. Romney said. I remember the dress Mrs. Obama wore and not much else.
Lady, your own crazy statements condemn you more than I ever could. I have never encountered someone in America this obsessed with forearms before. It's weird. Michelle Obama gave a good speech, you are just obsessed with staring at people and judging them. I just noticed, and I cannot believe you actually judge the people around you IN CHURCH "with their acrylic nails" and what kind of a handbag they have and what they are putting in their offering plate! I go to church, and I have always been taught (or maybe I just intuitively understood) that you NEVER stare at what other people are putting in the offering plate. THAT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of going to church. Have you even read the Bible? Judge not lest ye be judged and all that good stuff?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Talk about cherrypicking the quotes, cucunu. There has been ample discussion on this subject in a previous thread, complete with court documents. Bottom line is Ann Romney could not ride the horse because its odd gait (due to the chronic lameness) hurt her back. Despite knowing the horse had these injuries, she decided to sell the horse for $125,000 to an inexperienced buyer. The horse did NOT have injuries at the time Mrs. Romney bought the horse. (Not sure where you invented that fact from.) [see quote from NYT article below] There were a lot of unethical issues on the part of everyone involved - the trainer, vet, and Mrs. Romney. At the time of inspection, the vet administered 2 narcotic meds, but lab results showed 4 different medications in the horses system. Who administered the other two medications was never determined.

As far as the "envious disdain for great financial success", I will disregard the envious part and just use the word disdain. At least when it comes to viewing someone who has made their fortune on the misery of many, as the Romneys have.
I missed the other thread.

All the information I quoted in the article was taken from the New York Times and I gave a link to the article. I picked out what I thought to be the most relevant quotes from the article. Anyone who wants can read the entire article at the link I gave and make their own decision as to whether the NYT gave fair coverage or not. The medications were described in the article as "tranquilizers", not narcotics. The veterinarian administered 2 of them; how the horse got the other two are unknown.

I based my statement that Ann Romney knew about the defect at the time she purchased the horse on this statement from the linked article:

Quote:
Super Hit, the horse that became the subject of the lawsuit, was bought in Germany in 2003 for about $100,000. At the time, X-rays showed that he had a small abnormality in his left front coffin joint. Mrs. Romney consulted three veterinarians and was told it was “not significant,†according to her deposition in the suit, which was previously reported by The Washington Post.
I would say that people such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are ones who really are guilty of making "their fortune on the misery of many" and not the Romneys. (How you can say that about the Romneys with a straight face, I don't know.)

Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,665,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Lady, your own crazy statements condemn you more than I ever could. I have never encountered someone in America this obsessed with forearms before. It's weird. Michelle Obama gave a good speech, you are just obsessed with staring at people and judging them. I just noticed, and I cannot believe you actually judge the people around you IN CHURCH "with their acrylic nails" and what kind of a handbag they have and what they are putting in their offering plate! I go to church, and I have always been taught (or maybe I just intuitively understood) that you NEVER stare at what other people are putting in the offering plate. THAT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of going to church. Have you even read the Bible? Judge not lest ye be judged and all that good stuff?
Let me guess? You're a democrat? Everybody else is supposed to take care of you? I'm a giver and you're a taker and you resent me because I notice it? LOL

You are doing a powerful lot of judging yourself. Wow!

Think I got on somebody's nerves.

Oh, I also noticed some of the looks the delegates in the DNC were giving each other when Mrs. Obama was suggesting how hard life had been for her. Life is hard at times for everybody; get over it.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,214 times
Quote:
Let me guess? You're a democrat? Everybody else is supposed to take care of you? I'm a giver and you're a taker and you resent me because I notice it? LOL

You are doing a powerful lot of judging yourself. Wow!

Think I got on somebody's nerves.
I don't know you, but I think you're revealing more about yourself than you realize. Yes, people like you, who make Christians look like garbage, do get on my nerves. A LOT. Do you not understand the difference between discretion and judgment? Sitting in CHURCH and staring at who is putting how much money in the offering plate- that's judgment. Realizing that someone who is claiming to be a salt-of-the-earth Christian is doing nothing but staring at everyone around them and making knee-jerk assumptions? That's discretion. I don't know what you give, ms. "giver", but you've certainly given me some heartache.

You're also assuming that I'm not independent somehow. As I have stated in this forum many times, my life is very good, thank you very much. I had a great upbringing and education, I'm financially doing well, and I don't need any "extra" help to get by. But thanks for asking.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,075,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I would say that people such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are ones who really are guilty of making "their fortune on the misery of many" and not the Romneys. (How you can say that about the Romneys with a straight face, I don't know.)
You forgot to list all of those lilly white evangelical preachers out there who prey on those who can least afford it to bankroll their jets and mansions.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You forgot to list all of those lilly white evangelical preachers out there who prey on those who can least afford it to bankroll their jets and mansions.

Or the liberal preachers, too???? There are many congregations and many ministers who are in that category. I would say that, whether liberal or conservative, rich or poor, people who donate to churches do so of their own free will. I don't donate to TV ministries but the people who do, do so for their own reasons and I can't fault them for that. It's their money and they can do whatever they want with it.

BTW, both Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are ministers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections