Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Aw, they did live in a basement apartment with an ironing board table! But that's where that lack of self awareness thing comes in. LOL. They did it while living off Mitt's stock options and at any point they could have gone back home to a cushy life in either set of in-law's house. Ann never had to get a job. They don't get they had a huge safety net most people don't have, even while they were "struggling" they were never REALLY in danger of being homeless, not eating or not being able to afford finishing Mitt's education. Ann never had to leave her children with others because she had no choice but to work. Again nothing is wrong with that, but you have to know enough to know that you shouldn't really refer to that as "struggling" in a way that equates it with most Americans who really struggle.

They have huge blind spots when it comes to their own privilege. That doesn't make them bad people but it doesn't help them right now.
This ^^^^ with emphasis on the bolded.

Thank you for articulating that so well because this has been what I have found so blatantly dishonest about their attempt to portray themselves as struggling college students.

Does anyone think they were ever in danger of going hungry? Or not having the next semester's tuition? Or one or both of them having to work part time (or full time) while they attended school and studied for exams?

That whole basement-living thing (if it is true) sounds to me more like a game a couple of rich college kids played, all the while knowing they had a "safety net" and a telephone call home would net them a nice hefty check in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What stock options? He was a college student. My understanding is Ann had a trust and they lived off of that.
Why do you hate the rich?
Why does Romney-hood hate the poor & middle class?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
I'm tired of being financially responsible, not spending more than I can afford while financially irresponsible gets bailed out.
I'm tired of every 3rd month not getting paid because I send a huge check to the federal government
I'm tired of everyone saying I need to pay my fair share when I pay a lot in taxes.
I'm tired of everyone saying I need to pay my fair share when they don't pay a dime in federal tax.
I'm tired of working 50 hours or more a week to pay "all" of my bills
I'm tired of paying 100% of my mortgage while others get help.
I'm tired of being paying for 100% of my grocery bill while others get free food.
I'm tired of paying 100% of my cell phone bill while others get a free phone and free service.
I'm tired of working overtime to pay for 100% of my kids education while others get free school.
I'm tired of working to pay for 100% of my heating bill but others get it for free.

I'm just plain tired of working for the poor.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-09-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Lightbulb lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I'm tired of paying 100% of my mortgage while others get help.
I'm tired of being paying for 100% of my grocery bill while others get free food.
I'm tired of paying 100% of my cell phone bill while others get a free phone and free service.
I'm tired of working overtime to pay for 100% of my kids education while others get free school.
I'm tired of working to pay for 100% of my heating bill but others get it for free.
I'm just plain tired of working for the poor.
Whining? You're on your own. It's the Republican way.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This ^^^^ with emphasis on the bolded.

Thank you for articulating that so well because this has been what I have found so blatantly dishonest about their attempt to portray themselves as struggling college students.

Does anyone think they were ever in danger of going hungry? Or not having the next semester's tuition? Or one or both of them having to work part time (or full time) while they attended school and studied for exams?

That whole basement-living thing (if it is true) sounds to me more like a game a couple of rich college kids played, all the while knowing they had a "safety net" and a telephone call home would net them a nice hefty check in the mail.
Another phrase for basement apartment is 'garden apartment' and being in a college town, I have no doubt it was up to code with the required number of daylight windows. Garden apartments are not that uncommon and as nice 1st and 2nd floor apartments. When Mitt went to college the truly poor students that lived off campus rented rooms in boarding houses---not full apartments.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We hear so much about giving to the poor but they remain poor. And now in doing so our country is now poor. HOW MUCH would it take for people to not be poor anyway?
The poverty level will depend upon the State and family size.

Federal Poverty Level

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
I don't think they were spoiled or playing a game. if they were spoiled they would have done college in a huge apartment and with designer clothes and an expensive car. Even that wouldn't make them bad people anyway, but it would make it even harder for them to recognize their huge advantages. I think they sincerely wanted to make their own way.

But that doesn't mean they recognize what it means - the only thing truly at stake was his pride, not his kids future safety and well being, not his wife's safety, etc.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, everyone should start their own companies, just get a loan from your parents.

Just stop it already, the "Romneyisms" are making me ROTFLMAO.
i don't remember seeing the Romneys or anyone else say anything about starting your own company with a loan from parents. I think the loan part came from college education, not business.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Joseph Kenndy had four sons.

Joe: Killed during WWII while serving in the military
Jack: Commanded a PT boat during WW II
Bobby: enlisted in Naval Reserve
Teddy: enlisted in the Army after WWII was over

Mitt Romney has five sons.

Tagg: works at a capital firm (no miltary service)
Matt: works at a capital firm (no miltary service)
Josh: real estate developer (no miltary service)
Ben: a doctor (hey, one of them actually amounted to something! still no military service)
Craig: works in real estate (no miltary service)

Now FDR, wasn't he the guy who introduced Social Security? And Romney is the guy who wants to trash it for people like me. I'm 54, paid into it just like everybody else, but because I am not a full-fledge boomer I won't see the benefits.

Please, there is no comparison between the self-serving leeches that the Romneys are and the Kennedys and Roosevelts who actually understood the meaning of public service.
Times were different: there was a time when it was required you either enlist or you get drafted: check the times, WW 2, there was a time when the only reason for not serving was religious reasons, not being a Mormon, but more like a Quaker. My husband and I grew up in the 50s and 60s (young adults) almost none of our friends served, but they are anthing but true and patriotic Americans. We were young married couples with babies or still in college..If you were not in our age group you would never understand. i will add, my brother did go to Nam and he is supporting Romney. My X fiance had a brother killed in Nam, he too is supporting Romney...

Old 09-09-2012, 07:17 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i don't remember seeing the Romneys or anyone else say anything about starting your own company with a loan from parents. I think the loan part came from college education, not business.
This is Romney's quote:

Quote:
This kind of devisiveness, this attack of success, is very different than what we’ve seen in our country’s history. We’ve always encouraged young people: Take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.

Romney: Borrow Money From Your Parents - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections