Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Good god. If this board existed during his term you'd all be saying the same crap about him that you do about Obama.
Yeah, as I recall, he was the antiChrist too when in office. Ken Starr and all that....so soon they forget apparently. Now he is a foil to make Obama look bad. No one is doubting BC's political skills for a moment, or his intellect, but recall that Obama beat Billary in 2008. Through strategy, focus, and persistence. Obama also passed health care reform after Bill failed. He got OBL too, and Bill failed at that one too. So, it is not such a blowout for Clinton.

I also like the fact that Obama brings some class to the Whitehouse. No sleazy escapades and lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
hmmm Bill Clinton couldn't get healthcare passed Obama did
Clinton created DADT - Obama repealed it
Clinton took no action towards independence from oil, Obama has taken massive steps and made gains
bill learned new uses for a cigar

you are right he isn't a bill clinton he is better! ... I do like Clinton nonetheless.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
The investment 'code' mentioned in the OP is nothing new. Obama has been talking about it all along.
What he wants to do is invest in our infrastructure, which has been neglected for so long it's falling apart. Investing in new bridges, major repairs to interstates and their overpasses, airport runways and the like.

We have done this investment many times before. The San Francisco Bay bridge, Hoover Dam and many other dams including the complex of dams on the Columbia river, the electrification of the South, and many other great projects were all national investments in us, the citizens of the US, and our children. And their children.

How many of us never have driven over the Bay bridge? Millions of us, but other millions have used it, and in doing so have contributed to our society. They and the rest of us have benefited from the bridge's existence even if most of us have never driven over it.
How many people in the US have used the water and the power that came from Hoover Dam. Again millions, but more have not. Same deal. We all benefited.
And on, and on.

We are all in this together. It is not me against him, them against us. We are all in this together. We ALL have a lot of investment in America, both private and public. When one side of this fails, so does the other. That's the investment Obama has talked about so often, and there is no code wording about it.

It is time to quit the squabbling over this and start putting the foundations that made America great back together again!

Sure, it's gonna cost a lot. It cost a hell of a lot 70, 60, and 50 years ago too. But it's not gonna get any cheaper next year. This investment will put millions back to work without re-training or anything, and will create long-term employment again, just as it did all those times before.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
^^Beautiful, banjomike.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The investment 'code' mentioned in the OP is nothing new. Obama has been talking about it all along.
What he wants to do is invest in our infrastructure, which has been neglected for so long it's falling apart. Investing in new bridges, major repairs to interstates and their overpasses, airport runways and the like.

We have done this investment many times before. The San Francisco Bay bridge, Hoover Dam and many other dams including the complex of dams on the Columbia river, the electrification of the South, and many other great projects were all national investments in us, the citizens of the US, and our children. And their children.

How many of us never have driven over the Bay bridge? Millions of us, but other millions have used it, and in doing so have contributed to our society. They and the rest of us have benefited from the bridge's existence even if most of us have never driven over it.
How many people in the US have used the water and the power that came from Hoover Dam. Again millions, but more have not. Same deal. We all benefited.
And on, and on.

We are all in this together. It is not me against him, them against us. We are all in this together. We ALL have a lot of investment in America, both private and public. When one side of this fails, so does the other. That's the investment Obama has talked about so often, and there is no code wording about it.

It is time to quit the squabbling over this and start putting the foundations that made America great back together again!

Sure, it's gonna cost a lot. It cost a hell of a lot 70, 60, and 50 years ago too. But it's not gonna get any cheaper next year. This investment will put millions back to work without re-training or anything, and will create long-term employment again, just as it did all those times before.
Great post. And true. We are in this together, and it would employ exactly the type guys hammered by the housing meltdown. We have an overhang of highs school educated guys with big trucks and construction skills. They want to work, and I bet they would do a bang up job.

But you see, the GOP already knows all this. They know it would work, so they have to fight it tooth and nail. Getting guys back to work and making our country stronger would give Obama a victory!!!!!! Can't have that. We need to cut more taxes on millionaires and do more transvaginal ultrasounds!!!

Stop talking sense. We don't do that here.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Yup, Fiddlehead.
It is exactly those hard working folks who need the work the most!

The entire notion of the 90's- that America was post-industrial, and would become a service society that was so teched up that we would have no need for the people who make and repair things was ludicrous. The fact is there are lots of smart, industrious workers who prefer to work with their big muscles. A lot of them came from families who never went to college, or even graduated high school and did fine.

It is these people who need to put their muscles and skills to work for all of us right now. Many of them know full well that they need some training in another skill, or higher education, but it's damned hard for many to re-train with families to feed, and facing the fact that their once good paying jobs are gone.

Private industry can only hire so many of them. Only big federal projects will allow them some breathing room, a time when they can start paying off all those old bills that have stacked up, and renewed optimism for the future that has been crushed for too long.

I come from that stock; my ancestors were farmers, ranchers, and construction people. At my core, I'm just an over-educated old cowboy who has lots of white collar skills, but I'm now back to my roots, working in a blue-collar profession that makes me more satisfied than all those years I spent in offices. I'm doing work that will stick around for a long time now, and will make a couple of generations happy with the things I work on. A high school grad can do what I'm doing, and, if he has the nascent skills, would become good just as quickly as someone with a master's degree. Attention to detail and craft skill still counts just as much as ever.

Hope is a word we aren't hearing now, but hope is still what we need most of all. Hope is the fuel that stokes the great engine of America, and we are still a world-beater when we are full of hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections