Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. This should be one of the easiest elections in history for the GOP given the state of this country after four years of Obama yet its starting to look like its going to be a repeat of 2008 or even a bigger in for Obama. Young people are on fire for Obama, just as much if not moreso than in 2008. Republicans only have themselves to blame.
I think it is partly that, but I think Obama is a fairly strong candidate and he has a ground operation that has basically perfected Karl Rove's techniques. (In North Carolina they have people that are going all the way out to the mountain hippies to get them to vote...I have never seen that happen before.)

Either way at this point I think the status quo favors Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM

89 posts, read 149,571 times
Guys, voter registration is up in Indianapolis ALREADY.

I think the college towns and the big city will carry Obama. The rural folks just aren't that enthusiastic about a Mormon suit and tie guy who never created a job. They won't vote for Obama but a lot will stay home.

I feel strongly that Obama will take Indiana.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I see it a whole lot closer than that map shows, nor do I believe it's over for anyone at this point. Debates can sometimes have a big impact. There still is a lot of pent-up anger over everything Obama has done and tried to do. The enthusiasm is still in the republican corner.
Obama/Biden also have more in the way of real competition than the token, just-for-the-fun-of-it McCain/Palin whatever-that-was in '08.

The youth? Oh, I doubt anybody expects them to be overly conservative in any election. If a few go that way, it's appreciated, but the trend has always been they get more conservative as they get older. Kids, taxes, jobs, reality... it all comes into focus for a lot of people. Perhaps at some point social issues won't cross over so much into the political realm and we can get back to voting for things that pertain to governing... but even then the youth vote will largely be driven by the ideology they just learned/are learning in college.

It's been said before, but if Obama is reelected, that gives the republicans the white house for many years to come afterwords (at least 3 election cycles). I'm not holding my breath that Obama would manage to do anything to make himself look any better during a possible 2nd term.

Last edited by northbound74; 09-24-2012 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That's what they get for nominating someone who doesn't stand for anything. To be fair, the other GOP candidates were worse.
I liked Huntsman but I guess he was too moderate for the Tea Party.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 AM

447 posts, read 496,030 times
It's true. Moderation here just means common sense. GOP are more and more shifting away from moderation, i.e., from common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I liked Huntsman but I guess he was too moderate for the Tea Party.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 AM

96 posts, read 86,076 times
Quote:
He did in 2008, which was a surprise. It's starting to look like Obama may win even stronger this time than in 2008.
Obama will not win win IN, NC, SC, OR, MO, and the election will be much closer than it was in 08. Many people who voted for Obama in 08 are disillusioned. I do agree that Obama will win. Romney is a weak candidate with no charisma, and who his position on issues like a girl changes clothes.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 AM

96 posts, read 86,076 times
The GOP will have nominated two moderates in a row and lost. In 2016, they will nominate a more disciplined Conservative. I do think that Newt Gingrich could have done better than Romney, he would have forced Obama to run on his own record, nevertheless, this was losing year for the Republicans. 2014, and 2016 wont be though, I guarantee it.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Here is my prediction for November.

Republicans: its time to start strategizing now how you are going to make inroads with younger people in 2016. Millennials may never vote majority for Republicans, but you can capture more than the 20-30% Romney is getting. That is the only way you will ever win another election.

Right-

So you are saying that the nation will grant four more years to the president, when we have had -

no budget
8.1 % unemployment
real unemployment at 11.6%
debt at $16 trillion
Obama racked up $6 trillion
failed stimulus
50 million on foodstamps
personal incomes down 7.5%
personal savings down 40%
poverty rising
war on coal
no domestic energy exploration
disasterous foriegn policy
open door immigration policy
suing Arizona
Fast and Furious
Solyndra

I cannot believe the nation could be that stupid. A vote for Obama is a vote against prosperity.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,220 times
Maybe Obama is just a better candidate and more people like his platform better than Romney's.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Here is my prediction for November.

Republicans: its time to start strategizing now how you are going to make inroads with younger people in 2016. Millennials may never vote majority for Republicans, but you can capture more than the 20-30% Romney is getting. That is the only way you will ever win another election.
LOL....you have NC and SC going blue in 2012. Let's just say that your prognositication is not even close to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections