Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Obama's fight for the auto industry in Ohio is attractive to a heavily pro-union populace, especially on the heels of the dismal failure that was SB-5. The only people being energized are those who were not going to vote for him in the first place.

I'm sure these peoplem union, may be strongly motivated to vote agaist Obama as well;

Obama tells contractors to not issue layoff notices...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26301823-post3.html
Obama doesn't care about the defense cuts, he only cares about the optics of having pink slips sent out days before an election....

Obama administration tells contractors again: Don’t issue layoff notices

The Obama administration issued new guidance intended for defense contractors Friday afternoon, reiterating the administration’s position that the companies should not be issuing layoff notices over sequestration.

The Labor Department issued guidance in July saying it would be “inappropriate” for contractors to issue notices of potential layoffs tied to sequestration cuts. But a few contractors, most notably Lockheed Martin, said they still were considering whether to issue the notices — which would be sent out just days before the November election.

But the Friday guidance from the Office of Management and Budget raised the stakes in the dispute, telling contractors that they would be compensated for legal costs if layoffs occur due to contract cancellations under sequestration — but only if the contractors follow the Labor guidance.

The guidance said that if plant closings or mass layoffs occur under sequestration, then “employee compensation costs for [Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification] WARN act liability as determined by a court” would be paid for covered by the contracting federal agency.

Senate Republicans, who accused the White House of trying to hide job losses after the first guidance, said Friday that the new OMB statement “puts politics ahead of American workers.”

“The Obama Administration is cynically trying to skirt the WARN Act to keep the American people in the dark about this looming national security and fiscal crisis,” Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) said in a statement. “The president should insist that companies act in accordance with the clearly stated law and move forward with the layoff notices.”

The fight over WARN Act notices began in June when Lockheed Martin CEO Bob Stevens said his company might send the notices to all 123,000 of its employees.

Some companies were hesitant to follow Lockheed, but several others told McCain in letters earlier this month they might send the notices, too, despite the Labor Department guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Were not the reason, all the things you ***** about are the reason...

You simply cant accept the idea that we can't spend more than we can afford to tax...

Republicans like Bush started this, the difference is we want SMALL government and a real "Justice" system...

You on the other hand buy into "There were no crimes committed" bend over for Big Ben!!!
1. Let's see, we drop taxes to the lowest level in three generations and then complain we don't have enough money.

2. Every time the GOP is in charge of the government deficits increase because they cut taxes but spend more.

3. The tea party members "say" they want smaller government but when it comes to goring their ox, not so fast. It's like the woman who got up during a townhall meeting and yelled, "keep your government hands off my Medicare!" Let's face it, there are only five areas in federal spending that matter: Defense, Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid and interest on the debt. Interest on the debt isn't cutable unless you want to pay down the debt. That leaves the other four. If you don't want to cut those -- or worse, as Romney wants to increase defense spending, you aren't serious about cuts. If you also are 100% against tax increases, you have no solutions. We can cut Medicaid and defense to zero and still have a deficit. Tax-increases, which the tea baggers are completely against, are mathematically necessary to balance the budget.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
1. Let's see, we drop taxes to the lowest level in three generations and then complain we don't have enough money.

2. Every time the GOP is in charge of the government deficits increase because they cut taxes but spend more.

3. The tea party members "say" they want smaller government but when it comes to goring their ox, not so fast. It's like the woman who got up during a townhall meeting and yelled, "keep your government hands off my Medicare!" Let's face it, there are only five areas in federal spending that matter: Defense, Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid and interest on the debt. Interest on the debt isn't cutable unless you want to pay down the debt. That leaves the other four. If you don't want to cut those -- or worse, as Romney wants to increase defense spending, you aren't serious about cuts. If you also are 100% against tax increases, you have no solutions.
When will jerks like Corzine show up in court much less go to Jail???

Will 0bama go to Congress and get a declaration of war when he's ordered to strike Iran???

Will Congress ever do it's job and reign in, or better yet END THE FED????

That's three biggies, Im no expert on healthcare but Pelosi was absolutely nauseating to damn near everyone...

Most out there want that BS REPEALED, Dodd/Frank should go too but not many out there know what a joke and unconstitutional farce that is...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
read a few of your posts here and I gotta say you're delusional.

In Wisconsin, Walker and his supporters (mostly the Koch bros) outspent the recall campaign SEVEN and a HALF TO ONE. and he barely survived. 60% of Walker's money came from out of state. Walker received 53.2 percent of the vote, while Barrett brought in 46.3 percent. Walker had over six months to campaign, Barrett had a month.

Obama in Ohio??? It is difficult to impossible to get a ticket to an Obama event. I was talking to students at Kent State that camped out overnite just to get tickets and then they were camped out waiting for the event. No buses were needed, there were thousands of ppl beyond the students there. We came three hours early and had to park a mile away. When it began to rain very hard you'd think the line would have thinned out. Nope, everyone held their place, most without jackets, rain gear or umbrellas.

Obama has been into Ohio about 30 times and still every event is the same, demand for tickets far exceeds the capacity of the venues. In 2008, Obama followed 60,000 in Columbus with 80,000 in Cleveland.

In Medina, the teabaggers cannot draw a hundred when they give away refreshments.my photo, my Flickr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If that's the kind of people you think make up the Tea Party, you are totally clueless.

Those I know who are my FaceBook friends are for the most part, college educated, some with degrees, some are business owners. At least one is a writer whose articles appear regularly on American Thinker and on other conservative blogs (as well as her own), and there are other Tea Party activists who write as well (and a few of those are blacks).

They are well organized, smart people who may not have been active in politics in the past, but believe me, they now know what's going on, and they know the ropes. They are energized and many work tirelessly to mobilize others, and work on campaigns to get conservatives elected; and it has worked, as we saw in 2010, when many seats were gained in the House, and also in State houses and governorships across this land.

The mid-term elections were a boon for conservatives, and should have sent a message to liberals, but I guess they didn't get it.

The left later said Scott Walker was going to lose big-time. He didn't He was vindicated handily. despite being out spent by the Union thugs who poured millions of dollars into their recall effort.

You totally mischaracterize the Tea Party. But that's okay, because that works to our advantage.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default Oh, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
But if it weren't for collective bargaining that woman's granddaughter would have died in that fire. Governor Kasich wants 8 year-old girls to die.
You can drop the leftist rhetoric.

Collective bargaining for government employees is wrong. Taxpayers pay their salaries, and we don't have a say. That's what is bankrupting the states. You can't just keep asking for more from the taxpayers, when our salaries and wages are not increasing. You people make far more than those in the private sector.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech

3. The tea party members "say" they want smaller government but when it comes to goring their ox, not so fast. It's like the woman who got up during a townhall meeting and yelled, "keep your government hands off my Medicare!" Let's face it, there are only five areas in federal spending that matter: Defense, Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid and interest on the debt. Interest on the debt isn't cutable unless you want to pay down the debt. That leaves the other four. If you don't want to cut those -- or worse, as Romney wants to increase defense spending, you aren't serious about cuts. If you also are 100% against tax increases, you have no solutions.
Quote:
When will jerks like Corzine show up in court much less go to Jail???

Will 0bama go to Congress and get a declaration of war when he's ordered to strike Iran???

Will Congress ever do it's job and reign in, or better yet END THE FED????

That's three biggies, Im no expert on healthcare but Pelosi was absolutely nauseating to damn near everyone...

Most out there want that BS REPEALED, Dodd/Frank should go too but not many out there know what a joke and unconstitutional farce that is...
Nothing you said had anything to do with my post which you quoted.

Your reply was nothing but a focus-less rant -- but some that is characteristic of the right-wing that has many opinions about things that it knows nothing about, like monetary policy -- as evident about this "end the Fed" nonsense.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Most Tea Party members are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier- the fundamental premise of this "movement" is flawed- If this movement was about our "preserving" the Constitution, they would have started this crap during George W Bush's last term-talk about someone who had total disrespect and disregard for our Constitution.

Yet the outrage started right after Obama took over- Do you understand what I am saying? This whole thing makes no ****ing sense.
Yeah, well see, this post shows how ignorant the Left is of the Tea Party. The fact of the matter is the Tea Party DID begin under George W. Bush's 2nd term, in 2007 with Ron Paul.

Tea Party 2007: Ron Paul Sets a New Campaign Fund-Raising Record - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

What say you now, Repubocrat?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
read a few of your posts here and I gotta say you're delusional.

In Wisconsin, Walker and his supporters (mostly the Koch bros) outspent the recall campaign SEVEN and a HALF TO ONE.
BALONEY! That's laugable, and blaming it on the Koch Bros., of course! Everything is their fault, unless it's Bush's!

No one could outspend the Unions! Do you realize how much money the Unions have in their budget for this kind of thing? Millions!!!
Labor unions are categorized as tax-exempt 501(c)5 organizations. In 2010, these organizations collectively held $32,498,906,714 in assets. This number comes from the combined assets of all labor unions and farm bureaus. After all their expenses, lobbying efforts, and voter intimidation efforts, these organized labor gangsters still have more money than the entire GDP of many countries. None of it is taxed, and 92% of them are in violation of Dept. of Labor audits.

Labor unions, of course, participate in extremely aggressive political activism without any restraint. In 2010, during the midterm elections, the AFL-CIO put over $20 million into a budget column openly labeled the "Militancy/defense Fund." Think about this fact for a while. Do you think an organization with 20 million "militancy" dollars will simply fade away because of Scott Walker? Do you think an organization like this deserves to be tax-exempt?

What exactly is a militancy fund for? All sorts of things. In 1973, in United States v. Enmons, the Supreme Court ruled that labor unions are exempt from prosecution for violence related to collective bargaining goals. If you are upset that none of the threats against Governor Walker's life were prosecuted, it is because they were legal. They have $20 million in their militancy fund, and permission from the Supreme Court to commit violence without prosecution. Do you think they are afraid of a new rule in Wisconsin?

Not only do they have $20 million marked off for militancy and defense, but they have another $23.8 million in the solidarity fund. What is that for? It is for "Political and Issues Mobilization work." Not only do they have as much money as a small country, but they also have their own political wing and their own military/defense wing. The only difference is they don't believe that their own members should have the right to vote.

If you're counting, that's a total of about $44 million spent on militancy and political mobilization, or about 40% of the AFL-CIO's total annual budget. They are awash in money they don't know what to do with, but nobody in Washington is willing to tax them because a century ago a couple of liberal cogs got cozy with the unions and wrote it into law.
Articles: Labor Unions are not dead. They are reloading.
Quote:
and he barely survived. 60% of Walker's money came from out of state. Walker received 53.2 percent of the vote, while Barrett brought in 46.3 percent. Walker had over six months to campaign, Barrett had a month.
Barely survived my foot!
With nearly all precincts reporting, Walker had 53 percent of the vote, compared with 46 percent for Barrett. The margin of victory was wider than many expected and slightly better than Walker's 5.8 percentage-point victory over Barrett in the 2010 race. Some 2.5 million voters cast their ballots.
Read more: Wisconsin's Walker survives recall by wide margin | Fox News
Quote:
Obama in Ohio??? It is difficult to impossible to get a ticket to an Obama event. I was talking to students at Kent State that camped out overnite just to get tickets and then they were camped out waiting for the event. No buses were needed, there were thousands of ppl beyond the students there. We came three hours early and had to park a mile away. When it began to rain very hard you'd think the line would have thinned out. Nope, everyone held their place, most without jackets, rain gear or umbrellas.

Obama has been into Ohio about 30 times and still every event is the same, demand for tickets far exceeds the capacity of the venues. In 2008, Obama followed 60,000 in Columbus with 80,000 in Cleveland.

In Medina, the teabaggers cannot draw a hundred when they give away refreshments.my photo, my Flickr.
According to those who were there (some of my FaceBook friends), he bussed in support in Mansfield last summer

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Im a member of "The Party" I know you leftys don't like it much but I though this article was good...

The Tea Party is regularly ridiculed and declared "dead" by the mainstream press and their elitist allies in Washington and Hollywood. Not surprisingly, when Tea Partiers show up and rally by the thousands, they get all but ignored, while 30 Occupy Wall Street crazies in masks will always get wall-to-wall coverage and admiration. TV shows and movies take cheap shots at Tea Party conservatives, often linking them to murder-of-the-week cases on insipid crime procedurals or dismissing them as “birthers.” But a new Associated Press poll shows tea party supporters may have the last laugh in November.

The AP/GFK poll shows that 31% of likely voters consider themselves Tea Party supporters. With 131 million votes cast in the 2008 elections, that translates into an incredible voting bloc of 41 million Tea Party supporters waiting to cast ballots. These voters have already made their voices heard in Wisconsin earlier this year, as well as in Republican primaries in Texas and Nebraska.
That 31% of likely voters figure is greater than the 19% who described themselves as either strongly or somewhat liberal. Surprisingly, liberals have escaped media characterization as being a small, fringe-like group with little power or influence. At 19% of likely voters, self-described liberals would have a turnout of 25 million voters, some 16 million fewer voters than the Tea Party.

41 Million Tea Party Supporters Set to Vote
MSM is so biased this time around, I don't know how anyone can take them seriously. I have seen times when they showed the left side of the screen, but this is rediculous. All my husband can say, he is glad he got out of the newspaper business when he did and never followed his desire (at one time) to go into TV/Radio.He would be a total outcast.

Nita

Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
BALONEY! That's laugable, and blaming it on the Koch Bros., of course! Everything is their fault, unless it's Bush's!

No one could outspend the Unions! Do you realize how much money the Unions have in their budget for this kind of thing? Millions!!!
It's an established fact that the pro-Walker crowd outspent the unions by many times. Denying reality is not a debate point.

In terms of money, unions are small potatoes to corporations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections