Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
By the end of October, the administration will work the un-employment number down to 7.6 or close to that just to fool the fools (read liberal here).
Ahh so the people at the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, probably most of whom have worked there thru many different sitting presidents both dem and republican, will conspire to rig the stats just for this particular President because he's got an election coming up? Then they'll all just wink and do some pinky handshake where the promise to never tell anyone even after they leave the organization?

Gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
100%+ correct.

Gibme gibme gibme. That's all his supporters know.
The silly thing about this attitude is that most of the people who vote for Obama will have been employed and paying taxes. In fact, I bet I earn more than you and pay for plenty of good ol' boys in red states..nevermind. Trashing your fellow citizens is a GOP pastime, as your man has shown.

Anyhow, we see that Obama is giving it his best, and that things are complicated. And the thought of going right back to Bushanomics has subzero appeal. Romney's challenge was to articulate a third way, between the failed policies of the past, and the lackluster success of the present. He has not done that. People soundly rejected McCain when it seemed like it would be Bush's third term. The GOPers are so caught up in their hatred of Obama, and so intellectually inbred, they don't realize their brand is right up there with ENRON with the rest of the American people

Most sensible voters know that Obama was simply the recipient of an economy ruined by gross corruption and deregulation. And when he has tried to deal with it, the GOP congress has done everything in its power to NOT lower the unemployment rate. Destroying his presidency was their primary goal. Who would punish the guy who is trying to clean up the mess and reward the perpetrators except a hardcore partisan? Obama will be reelected because the voters are SMARTER than the GOP spin machine thinks they are. We know which end of the horse the hay goes into. And what comes out the other end....

Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
The raw numbers aren't as important as the feeling most Americans have that things are moving in the right direction. The stock market has doubled, and home values are up. States like Ohio are now in the top tier for job creation.

The Romney/Ryan message is doomed.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
The conclusion is very simple and I've been stating it over and over again for months now.

-This isn't 1980.

-The country is changing demographically in a way we have never seen.

-These demographics tend to vote Democrat.

I really don't understand what's so hard about this nor do I not understand why it wasn't easy for everyone to predict that Romney would fall flat on his face.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Fact.. No President has ever been re-elected with unemployment rate above 7.5%

But no president had Mitt Romney as opponent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The conclusion is very simple and I've been stating it over and over again for months now.

-This isn't 1980.

I really don't understand what's so hard about this nor do I not understand why it wasn't easy for everyone to predict that Romney would fall flat on his face.
Agreed. However, as I said, republicans were unable to put forward a good candidate. Someone who could inspire and convince the independent voter that he has a plan and knows what to do.
As for demographics: luckily for republicans, many potential democratic voters do not vote. A huge number is totally disinterested and indifferent. If the % of voters among these groups was higher, democrats would had been always elected.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
FDR was re-elected druing the great depression, pretty sure the unemployment was higher than 7.5

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

-This isn't 1980.

Unfortunately that's true. Just like in Mexico where they consistently vote for one-party no matter how bad things are, so bad that they pack up and flee their country, it's a one-party kind of people. Democrats remind them most of their PRI party candidates.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Fact.. No President has ever been re-elected with unemployment rate above 7.5%
Not to worry. Maybe enough people will quit participating in the job market to lower it to 7.5% by election time.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 PM

635 posts, read 539,434 times
I get the feeling we'll have a lot of single term presidents in the future, then.

Not being a republocrat, I don't buy into the myth that the president has any great amount of control over the economy... Capitalism follows its own boom-bust cycle. I think the best government can do is try to lessen the valleys and peaks, and provide some degree of stability.

I think Germany's government follows this approach, and it is working for them.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
"Instead of blaming and whining, look at yourself."

Send that memo to Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections