Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Hmmmm...
Lets see...

What shout be considered "frou-frou" = (extras that can be cut)????
And what is actually IMPORTANT????

Military or BigBird???
(yah... a country is nothing without "protection")

Think even in animal kingdom... to be able to protect the territories (land) is very very important!!!
(which I am sure China & Russia will actually also give up BigBird for their military)....
So... why is the US people so messed up they choose (one of the many programs for kids; there are "other" educational shows) BigBird over Military????

Thats right...
All those years of "watching" sesame street & BigBird bring them to this day... = to be "dumb" so they are NOT like the other regular "smart" country of the world....
Wow! Talk about messed up priorities!!!!

Now...
[To EAT (from saving on tax$ to BigBird) or Big Bird????

To many many "smart" fellow people...
Can YOU ACTUALLY EAT "BigBird"?????

Hmmmm.... I wonder what the answers is.
Maybe these "BigBird" watchers of "higher intelligence" have actually found a way to live on "Air" & "Sunshine"...
But, I will always choose food over BigBird for my children.
= Save $ on frou-frou programs, feed the kids????
Feed the kids so the children can "live" to "learn" tomorrow????

(Why???? Study of your pre-decessors Neolithic men from National Geography... only when man-kind is "well-fed" then their "brains" actually function BETTER = invention of the WHEEL... = Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Make sense!!!)

There are so much Wayyyyyyy better programs than BigBird... yeah.. like National Geography or even just observing "nature" itself...

My children only watches BigBird maybe less than 10X in their life (find the program too "stupid" & boring actually for them) and they still do very very well in schools....

Yeah...
Talk about a messed up prorities USA people have.

Things that makes you go hmmmmm... indeed.
Only through GOOD *Economy* can you as a parent get to *Provide* have GOOD FOOD & LIFE for your family & all these lifestyle needs *PROTECTION* of both the military & economy to make that GREAT COUNTRY for you & your family to reside in & to live & enjoy it!!!!

Duh???
It's very easy to tell from this poorly written and very hard to follow post that you don't value educational programing like Sesame Street for your children.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
And then it would exist to sell toys and candy to our children just like every other childrens' program, and likely be on a cable network where not every child could see it.
Oh stop. First, Sesame Street is not essential for child development. My sisters and I did just fine with just minimal muppet contact. What about parents just doing their job to raise their kids by interacting and teaching them daily? Teaching children about numbers, the alphabet and how to read is NOT rocket science.

And do young kids really need NEW Sesame Street episodes? Why not have young children watch past shoes? Has learning how to count numbers actually changed in past decades? I'd say that if Sesame Street ended today, we have more than enough old episodes for a child to watch while growing up and never repeating any of them.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,687,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe we should spend as much money as China does on military.

Nah, that isn't an overbloated budget on military at all.
Hmmm....
Say if picture do say a 1000 words... and then you dig behind the pictures...

did US borrowed money from China that maybe they actually do own part of the Military or in some secret intelligence trade (Military technology for bailing out USA's crisis?)???

is USD devaluated (hyperinflation) vs other countries' currencies that they are getting away from USD as a "trusted" world money??? If so... what does the graph tells you???

China & Russia's military do not pay as well as a US military personal... you know how cheap labor comes into play for all these things to...

so say China & Russia pays $5K for a soldier while US pays $30K (really search how likely is that)
There is already the reason for the graph. Hmnmmm????
Cheaply paid materials plus child labor for making the weapons (their AK guns @ say $100 vs ours @ say $400 per gun)...
Even at 1/2 less... hmmm???

Yeah... one do have to dig deeper than a mere graph.
One actually have to *think* you know....

No wonder US school system is considered inferior against China, SE Asia....
Must be the BigBird & its "lah-lah land".

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
[quote=hogstooth;26384760]Big Bird is richer Mitt Romney, but is still on the government dole.

In the aftermath of getting massacred in last night's debate, both President Obama and the corrupt media are trying to salvage a little something by taking issue with Governor Mitt Romney's promise to end taxpayer funding of PBS.

At a campaign rally today, Obama The Bald-Faced Liar said of Romney, "He's going to get rid of regulations on Wall Street, but he'll crack down on Sesame Street." (Romney is not going "to get rid of" Wall Street regulations.)

Quote:
PBS is not primarily funded through federal tax dollars. In contrast, it’s largely supported by, well, viewers like you (sound familiar?). Almost 60% of funding for public television comes from private donors or grants. Additional funding is provided by dues paid by member stations.

The federal funding that Romney was referencing isn’t a direct subsidy to PBS. The funding actually flows to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). CPB was created by Congress before PBS existed, in 1968 after the promotion of public media was noted “of appropriate and important concern” to the federal government. By statute, the board of CPB is to be bipartisan: three Democrats and three Republicans. As part of its mission, it supports not only PBS but also National Public Radio (NPR)

For fiscal year 2010, federal funding for PBS through CPB accounted for about 12% of PBS’ revenue. In terms of dollars, that works out to about $300 million. There’s not much wiggle room to be had: the money that actually goes to CPB is split according to a mostly statutory formula. For 2015, Congress has budgeted $445 million for CPB. That’s less than 1% of the budget. Way less. It’s about 1/100th of a 1%.

Romney Promises To Cut Taxpayer Funding For PBS (But Says He Still Loves Big Bird) - Forbes

I'm fairly certain that Big Bird will be in our line of vision a lot longer that Romney will. In fact, Obama should invite Big Bird to The Inaugural Ball. I'd love to see him in a tuxedo. No, Obama was not "massacred" just thrown by Romney's incredible lies. Yes, he needed to call him out more forcefully, but he still has two more chances to accomplish that and I'm confident that he will. What a sad time this is in our nation's history when a candidate is given kudos for being a pathological liar while on a sugar high...

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Because child education is clearly not important to you, unless you think lawyers are naturally born as intelligent lawyers with no need for outside sources to help with education.

You mean YOUR child's intelligence is NOT naturally born & have to be educated by Sesame street???

Wow... that child might be genetically inferior then...
For my child sure do not need Sesame street to become "smart"... sorry.

They do not live their life watching TV either.
They spent most their time reading actual books (and actually read 3 grades beyond their levels... and they are speed readers too mind you from all the readings by 9).
They also spend all their time on homework... so really do not have much time on mind numbing programs that get them "fat" as couch potatoes. They actually do have quality play time (climb trees, fish, hunt, garden, milk cows)... and not be in front of the TV and don't even know where money or beef comes from.

If you hire a lawyer who is NOT already naturally born smart / smarter than another... then you may CHANCE the problem of NOT winning your case too.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,042,068 times
Quote:
Because child education is clearly not important to you, unless you think lawyers are naturally born as intelligent lawyers with no need for outside sources to help with education.
They pull in tons of dough, "educating" the kids. Why shouldnt they help fund or fully fund PBS? They're filthy rich, so why should WE have to pay for it?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Oh stop. First, Sesame Street is not essential for child development. My sisters and I did just fine with just minimal muppet contact. What about parents just doing their job to raise their kids by interacting and teaching them daily? Teaching children about numbers, the alphabet and how to read is NOT rocket science.

And do young kids really need NEW Sesame Street episodes? Why not have young children watch past shoes? Has learning how to count numbers actually changed in past decades? I'd say that if Sesame Street ended today, we have more than enough old episodes for a child to watch while growing up and never repeating any of them.
You seriously believe that Sesame Street is running up the deficit? Maybe you should tune into the show when The Count is featured. You need to bone up on math.

Quote:
For fiscal year 2010, federal funding for PBS through CPB accounted for about 12% of PBS’ revenue. In terms of dollars, that works out to about $300 million. There’s not much wiggle room to be had: the money that actually goes to CPB is split according to a mostly statutory formula. For 2015, Congress has budgeted $445 million for CPB. That’s less than 1% of the budget. Way less. It’s about 1/100th of a 1%.
Romney Promises To Cut Taxpayer Funding For PBS (But Says He Still Loves Big Bird) - Forbes

...and BTW...PBS is mostly funded privately.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's very easy to tell from this poorly written and very hard to follow post that you don't value educational programing like Sesame Street for your children.
So hard to follow that you have no choice but to respond after *reading* it right???

Yes, where I grew up, we don't really watch Sesame street for I am of another country and I actually do not like watching TV that much for I have a life outside of TV. Too busy you know... having to learn Chinese, Malay, Japanese as my countries' trade language & German (for 2 semesters in College "require") as well...

You are right... I really don't value Sesame street.
Don't think most people who is weaned on Sesame street can even get into my country's college anyways.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post

You mean YOUR child's intelligence is NOT naturally born & have to be educated by Sesame street???

Wow... that child might be genetically inferior then...
For my child sure do not need Sesame street to become "smart"... sorry.

They do not live their life watching TV either.
They spent most their time reading actual books (and actually read 3 grades beyond their levels... and they are speed readers too mind you from all the readings by 9).
They also spend all their time on homework... so really do not have much time on mind numbing programs that get them "fat" as couch potatoes. They actually do have quality play time (climb trees, fish, hunt, garden, milk cows)... and not be in front of the TV and don't even know where money or beef comes from.

If you hire a lawyer who is NOT already naturally born smart / smarter than another... then you may CHANCE the problem of NOT winning your case too.
So if that lawyer who was "born smart" should be able to pass the bar as a toddler because obviously they were "born smart" to be a lawyer, or do they require outside sources for training and education? Outside sources include everything outside of the child, including their own parents.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You seriously believe that Sesame Street is running up the deficit? Maybe you should tune into the show when The Count is featured. You need to bone up on math.

...and BTW...PBS is mostly funded privately.

Soooo true.

Actually do know quite a few people working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections