Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 AM

177 posts, read 197,790 times

Advertisements

The best campaign manger, IMO was Lee Atwater when he manage HW Bush's campaign against Mike Dukakis. My favorite line of his was "I'm going to strip the bark of that little bastard". This is the type of personality I'd love to see Obama hire onto his campain staff to strip the bark off This Republican version of Mike Dukakis he's running against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Maybe in your alternate universe you could also get turd blossom {Karl Rove}, now that would be the team

Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Atwater was a guitarist and it was sad to see him working for Satan.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Turd blossom? The stench sounds right, not enough slimy enough.

Yea, for these debates, Obama needs to bring back an attack dog guy, like Atwater, Rahm Emanuel, etc.

Funny thing is, if Obama came roaring back and slamdunked Mitt, it would all seem kind of pathetic. The economy is coming back, Mitt has run a horrible campaign,etc. Intrade would go to 99% Obama,etc. Come to think of it, Mitt and the GOP deserve that this year. Bring it.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM

177 posts, read 197,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Atwater was a guitarist and it was sad to see him working for Satan.
I wasn't a fan of HW Bush but I have to hand it to him: He picked the best campaign manager in modern history. They sure don't make them like they used to.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Maybe in your alternate universe you could also get turd blossom {Karl Rove}, now that would be the team
Rove is no Atwater, even though he learned everything he knows on Lee's knee. As nasty as Karl is, he's too soft and puffy to ever be as lean and downright mean to the bone as Lee was. His party has been paying the price he cost them ever since.

Lee Atwater was the most joyfully vicious person to ever enter politics. And he lived just long enough to deeply regret his wickedness. He died hard, young, and with a heart full of sorrow and repentance.

I would like to see our President win a second term, but if hiring a latter-day Atwater is what it would take for him to win, I couldn't vote for him, or anyone, with a clear conscience. Truth and ethics did not abide in that man.

That his ways have become so pervasive in our politics is his enduring legacy of poison. He polluted all our wells equally and without regard for the consequences. He's now long dead and don't give a damn, but we are all still living with that epidemic of viciousness that he created.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Yes, let him hire a dead man. Very smart.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I don't think it would work. I liked Clinton's argument much better. It was not about viciously attacking the other guy, so much as making the case that Obama is taking us forward, and that he should be trusted to finish the job. The GOP story is so bogus it is laughable. Sure he should come out hard and aggressively, but not as a small, Rove type weasel. Obama is better than that, and he is not a gutter fighter anyway.

Americans need, crave leadership. He did not provide that in the first debate, but Obama is light years ahead of Romney on his ability to connect with Americans, when he wants to.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Lee Atwater also ask for forgiveness and apologized for what he did after he knew he was going to die.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Americans need, crave leadership. He did not provide that in the first debate, but Obama is light years ahead of Romney on his ability to connect with Americans, when he wants to.
We, unfortunately, live in times where instant gratification and beauty contests trump more important things. Selecting our most important leaders should be decided by the most competent in the race. Obama has been in office 3.5 years and, considering the challenges he's faced, I think he's made the case he deserves the second term. The contest is between the two, not the "what if's." He wasn't my first choice in the Democratic Primaries in 2008. Hillary was. And I understand his weaknesses. But any weakness he has is stronger than Romney's percenved strengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections