Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 13 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,317,192 times

Advertisements

well, does George Bush look "presidential'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,270,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That was a truly boneheaded comment. I dinged him a rep point for that.
To be honest, I did hear a favorable comment about Mitt making this statement. The commentator made the point that maybe bush should have consulted lawyers before he went into Iraq. Also, making the point that Mitt might be the coolheaded one and Rudy the impulsive. Or, words to that effect.

Rudy thinks he's nailed Mitt with this remark, and I don't think Mitt understands what he said because he's going after Rudy's litigation history.

Last edited by tigerlily; 10-10-2007 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,887,529 times
Default I dont remember saying anything about cutting H1Bs

As if IBM, MS and CISCO werent shipping all that work overseas anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Cutting the number of H1Bs was a great idea... now a large number of start-ups are in India, China, Phillippines, and Romania. Instead of keeping that talent here in the US, where we could continue to build strong global companies like IBM, Microsoft, and Cisco, we are encouraging companies like Wipro, Infosys, Huiwei to thrive.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Canada is a responsible neighbor that works with us to ensure that the border is properly policed and secured. Having lived on this border for many years and being denied entry many times because of DUIs from 20 years ago is just one anecdotal personal experience of mine. And just walking across the border in a remote area doesnt work because you cant get lost in the thousands of others crossing at the same time. Canadian and mexican borders are apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
How? Put up a fence and hope for the best? Where's the fence between the US and Canada? If you're concerned about terrorists entering the country, you should care about all borders...

Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Nice red herring though

Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
As if IBM, MS and CISCO werent shipping all that work overseas anyway
As an employee of one of those companies, I can tell you that they weren't prior to 2001. Outsourcing of non-core services? Yes. Off shoring development? No.

When the H1B crunch was on, that's when development centers started opening up in India and China.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Canada is a responsible neighbor that works with us to ensure that the border is properly policed and secured. Having lived on this border for many years and being denied entry many times because of DUIs from 20 years ago is just one anecdotal personal experience of mine. And just walking across the border in a remote area doesnt work because you cant get lost in the thousands of others crossing at the same time. Canadian and mexican borders are apples and oranges.
That's a foolish statement. Canada allows a huge number of political refugees and has lax citizenship requirements. There are thousands of miles of unpatroled border between us and Canada... to suggest that it wouldn't be easy to cross in a remote area is laughable.

Why do you want to secure the border? To prevent possible terrorists? To "save" jobs? Or because you feel WASPs from Canada are like you, but Mexicans are less than human?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Heres the difference between the two borders. Hundreds of Thousands of illegal aliens are crossing the southern border every year but not the northern. To compare them is

"foolish"

My wife is full blooded Chinese who I consider kin to the Mongols that crossed the Ice bridge 10,000 years ago. From a racial standpoint her and my children are probably closer to Mexicans than they are to me. Stop making assumptions about people you dont know.

As far as software development being shipped overseas only after caps were put on H1Bs (I think thats the argument its hard to tell because its slippery and evasive) you are again assuming that they wouldnt have gone anyway.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM

You still haven't answered the question. Why do you want to stop the flow of people across borders?

You can't solve a problem you're not willing to define.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Because its the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections