Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times

Advertisements

For me the most pressing Economic issue is the US push into the world market and its effect on American workers and their families survival. Duncan Hunter was the only one who kept his focus squarely on the widening gap between rich and poor, the shrinking middle class and the screwing of blue ands white collar workers with trade policies that send manufacturing jobs overseas, import H1Bs and allows corporations to employ illegal aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
For me the most pressing Economic issue is the US push into the world market and its effect on American workers and their families survival. Duncan Hunter was the only one who kept his focus squarely on the widening gap between rich and poor, the shrinking middle class and the screwing of blue ands white collar workers with trade policies that send manufacturing jobs overseas, import H1Bs and allows corporations to employ illegal aliens
he is my man!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
A clean shave ain't going to get my vote. Romney waffles more than any I've mixed up in the griddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I would not disagree with most of this , I think romney looks and acts the most presidential, paul is like a mix of jack kevorkian and gabby hayes just cant see him sitting in the oval office , may sound superficial, but it seems to matter.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times
Oh and outsourcing.

Hunter is Lou Dobbs without the edgy angst. He calls BS on all these great, happy pie in the sky Economic indicators that mean nothing to the man whos lost his job and career. Or better yet the guy who was making $70 thousnad a year as a programmer and was replaced by an H1B but doesnt show up on unemployment stats because hes a greeter at walmart. Somehow all the little green arrows pointing up on the scoll at the bottom of the financial channel dont mean much to a man eating hotdogs and shopping at goodwill

Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Oh and outsourcing.

Hunter is Lou Dobbs without the edgy angst. He calls BS on all these great, happy pie in the sky Economic indicators that mean nothing to the man whos lost his job and career. Or better yet the guy who was making $70 thousnad a year as a programmer and was replaced by an H1B but doesnt show up on unemployment stats because hes a greeter at walmart. Somehow all the little green arrows pointing up on the scoll at the bottom of the financial channel dont mean much to a man eating hotdogs and shopping at goodwill
he is also the toughest on national defense, in my opinion!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
FWIW - a few of my observations. Romney reminds me of a snake oil salesman. He kept reiterating "that he knows how to run a business". Is he trying to differentiate himself from bush who ran every business he started into the ground? He's got his script down pat. I agree with PP's comments about physical appearance not being a criteria for selecting a candidate and that Ron Paul needs to take it down a notch or two on his delivery. He is too emotional. I thought John McCain came across as honest. Does he have a hearing probem? He was the only one to have questions repeated. Tancredo made comments on immigration in response to almost every question. Maybe I missed something, but I only heard Guiliani mention 911 once. I agree that Hillary's name was brought up too often. I thought Fred Thompson did okay, but his answers not very substantive. He seemed to refer to his notes more than the others. His comedic touch at the end was funny - Reaganlike maybe?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
FWIW - Romney reminds me of a snake oil salesman. He kept reiterating "that he knows how to run a business". Is he trying to differentiate himself from bush who ran every business he started into the ground? He's got his script down pat.
Well, there is a difference between being a successful business manager and an unsuccessful one, isn't there? Romney seems to be telling the truth. Unless you have proof that Romney has failed at running a business, or is lying about his ability to do so, you have no argument here.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Well, there is a difference between being a successful business manager and an unsuccessful one, isn't there? Romney seems to be telling the truth. Unless you have proof that Romney has failed at running a business, or is lying about his ability to do so, you have no argument here.

I'm not arguing Romney wasn't successful at business. It just occurred to me that he is the exact opposite of bush who failed at every business he started. Part of the bush platform in 2000 was that he ran Texas like a business. I think some people were swayed by this attribute even though Texas has a weak governorship. Personally, I don't want the U.S. run like Texas or a corporation. We've only had two presidents that came from a business background, 41 and 43 unless you count Hoover, an investor. None either are or were that successful. I learn so much from this forum.
List of United States Presidents by previous occupation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
How can Ron Paul *not* be emotional? Our politicians have been ignoring our Constitution for years now, and look where it's gotten us! I can't see how you can't be emotional about that.

We've fostered a nation of dependency and ignorance. People truely believe that it's the job of our federal government to provide health care. It's as simple as looking to our Constitution for the answer, and you can find it in the 10th Amendment if you don't want to go read the whole thing yourself. This is just one blaring example in the long list.

What has fostered this dependency? Our fiat system. Politicians don't need to raise money for pork programs through taxes, they can sell their souls to the federal reserve and create money out of thin air to fund the programs. This deflates our currency which increases the cost of goods and services, which is an indirect tax that impacts the poor moreso than the rich. There's only one candidate that has a solid understanding of these issues and is actually willing to speak up about them because he hasn't been bought and sold by lobbyists, and that's Ron Paul. Look at his funding and voting record compared to any of the other candidates and tell me that he's corrupt and shouldn't be emotional.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
he is also the toughest on national defense, in my opinion!
How is having our troops police the world national defense? Wouldn't having our troops on our soil and guarding the border be more of a defense than having them stationed in South Korea, Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections