Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

that the left is now constantly charging the right of being racists and an all white club since Hillary and Obama joined the race?

Its funny that the Dems were in a nearly identical position for 228 years. Then Hillary and Obama join the race and now the sledgehammer comes out to beat the Repubs over not having a front running woman or black candidate.

Nevermind the fact that many conservatives were hoping Colin Powell, or Condy would run. Nevermind it was the Repub party that was the first to have a black head of the State Department, the first to have a female or a black National Security Advisor and Secretary of State, and the first Hispanic United States Attorney General.

Just really gets old seeing the left hammer out article after article charging the Republicans of being an all white party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
You have a point, but I'll tell you: it sure was stupid of the GOP top dogs to skip that Morgan State debate...

Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Racism has been the new McCarthyism for a while now. Mention or constructively criticize a group and the crys of Racist are hurled just as Commie and Red once were. Usually by people whose entire racial experience is constituted by saying hi to the mailman.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Yes it was. But this debate was also at the height of fundraising demands, and there was never any effort to reschedule the debate. If you'll remember, the Republicans initially bowed out of the YouTube debates, yet when asked to schedule them for a later date, they obliged.

Had the Morgan State debate been attempted to reschedule and they declined, then I would say yes there is a problem. But right now the problem is too many people think they can call a debate whenever they want and expect candidates to accomodate them. Maybe they should be more accomodating to the candidates when "scheduling demands" are the reason given for not attending.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
I think it has more to do with the fact that none of the front running Republicans would even attend the debate to discuss minority issues. Republicans have always managed to do well in elections by creating an "Us vs Them" mentality to gather White votes. Now the country is getting more diverse and they are gripping.

But Republicans have a problem: demographic changes are making their race-based electoral strategy decreasingly effective. Quite simply, America is becoming less white, mainly because of immigration. Hispanic and Asian voters were only 4 percent of the electorate in 1980, but they were 11 percent of voters in 2004 — and that number will keep rising for the foreseeable future.

Those numbers are the reason Karl Rove was so eager to reach out to Hispanic voters. But the whites the G.O.P. has counted on to vote their color, not their economic interests, are having none of it. From their point of view, it’s us versus them — and everyone who looks different is one of them.

So now we have the spectacle of Republicans competing over who can be most convincingly anti-Hispanic. I know, officially they’re not hostile to Hispanics in general, only to illegal immigrants, but that’s a distinction neither the G.O.P. base nor Hispanic voters takes seriously.

Oh, and by the way: over all, Hispanic immigrants appear to commit relatively few crimes — in fact, their incarceration rate is actually lower than that of native-born non-Hispanic whites.

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/08/24...ty&oref=slogin

Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Many of the charges of the Republicans being a racist, sexist, white group came long before they skipped the 2 debates. Actually, the noise starting increasing almost instantly when Obama and Hillary joined the race.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Yes it was. But this debate was also at the height of fundraising demands, and there was never any effort to reschedule the debate. If you'll remember, the Republicans initially bowed out of the YouTube debates, yet when asked to schedule them for a later date, they obliged.

Had the Morgan State debate been attempted to reschedule and they declined, then I would say yes there is a problem. But right now the problem is too many people think they can call a debate whenever they want and expect candidates to accomodate them. Maybe they should be more accomodating to the candidates when "scheduling demands" are the reason given for not attending.
I disagree, and I have posted elsewhere on this forum about how the GOP missed a golden opportunity to reach out to black folks.

What did they have to lose, after all?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad move. But I think it takes a little more than a bad move to consitute being a racist party. Was it racist they wanted to skip the YouTube debates? No, it didn't appear to them as much of a benefit plus it interfered with an important fundraising time. I agree that sometimes being responsive may be a better campaign tool than fundraising, but that doesn't mean it makes them the "white" party.

BTW, my candidate did not turn down any debates that I'm aware of, Ron Paul that is.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't a bad move. But I think it takes a little more than a bad move to consitute being a racist party. Was it racist they wanted to skip the YouTube debates? No, it didn't appear to them as much of a benefit plus it interfered with an important fundraising time. I agree that sometimes being responsive may be a better campaign tool than fundraising, but that doesn't mean it makes them the "white" party.
I am not debating racism, nor am I talking about whether or not the GOP is a "white party." Those are largely emotional and subjective terms which have little value.

I am describing the suicidal tone-deafness of the GOP's leading candidates in ignoring ten per cent of the electorate during a presidential campaign.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am not debating racism, nor am I talking about whether or not the GOP is a "white party." Those are largely emotional and subjective terms which have little value.

I am describing the suicidal tone-deafness of the GOP's leading candidates in ignoring ten per cent of the electorate during a presidential campaign.
I agree with you it was a stupid move not to attend the debate. I would disagree with your comment that the issue of the GOP being a "White" Party is emotional and subjective with little value. This is the issue the GOP needs to come to grips with quickly if they want to have a prayer come election time. Most recent surveys do show Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians leaning significantly away from the Republican Party - and in fact voted Democratic by a large margin in the last Congressional elections...89% (Black), 69% (Hispanic) and 62% (Asian). Changing demographics in our country make this a critical, perhaps the critical issue for Republicans moving forward.

Why do Republicans think they have so little minority support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections