Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,671 times

Advertisements

Only the deluded among us think there's any real difference between Romney & Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Mitt Romney: A Liberal’s Liberal Republican : Patriot Newswire

The most prominent candidate for the GOP nomination is former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. He’s a prolific fundraiser and enjoys widespread name recognition, and he’s the darling of the GOP establishment. George Will lists him as one of the few serious presidential candidates.

But should Romney be the GOP’s presidential nominee? The answer is “absolutely not.”

Although there is no “perfect conservative,” and although conservatives have serious issues with every candidate running, Mitt Romney is nothing more than a strident liberal masquerading as a moderate. As Selwyn Duke rightly wrote in 2007, Romney is the Barack Obama of the GOP. Every Republican has made his share of mistakes, but Romney is a committed liberal on the whole spectrum of issues

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
I guess this is why the Dem base is less enthusiastic, Republicans are outperforming in early voting in battleground states, and independents prefer Romney. And if the 2012 electorate does not measure up to the 2008 electorate in terms of the Dem base....Rasmussen and Gallup were right.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I essentially agree. If it weren't for the Tea Party House I wouldn't be as worried about the prospects of a Romney presidency. Romney has been putting on a conservative act but I do believe he is a moderate. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure what he believes.
Yes, the Tea Party is what would worry me too with a Romney presidency. He can't stand up to the radical far right as a candidate, so what would make me believe he could do so as president? At one time he might have been a moderate, but he's been play-acting the role of a "severe conservative" for so long now I wonder if he remembers who his is any more. The good news is, after Tuesday he has the rest of his life to try to figure that out as a private citizen.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I agree with that, on his Massachusetts record.

Trouble is, he didn't run on that during the primary, and he still isn't really doing it now.

I don't know what the hell Romney plans on doing.
Of course he doesn't run on his past. He knows no one would vote for him if they knew the truth about where he really stands on issues.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Only the deluded among us think there's any real difference between Romney & Obama!
Diet Coke is running against Diet Pepsi. Take your pick.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Its called a Country Club Republican. He is very similar to Reagan when Reagan was Governor of California.
Not even remotely.

Ronald Reagan was part of the conservative revolution in the Republican Party which wrested control of the party from the moderate Rockefeller Republicans.

His 1964 "A Time For Choosing" speech, given two years before he became Governor, was precisely about supporting Goldwater's conservatism in opposition to both the Democratic Party as well as the liberal faction of the Republican Party of Dwight D. Eisenhower, Nelson Rockefeller and, not surprisingly, (George) Romney, among others.

Last edited by Green Onions; 11-01-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Of course he doesn't run on his past. He knows no one would vote for him if they knew the truth about where he really stands on issues.
I would. I'd like to know where a politician stands.

As far as I can tell, Romney would disband FEMA, now its good. He'd decrease tax revenue and increase spending, while we are already running a fiscal deficit, and he wants me to trust him that he'll find a way to pay for the deficit Obama has already set up, and the new spending he's talking about?

Sorry, doesn't add up

Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I would. I'd like to know where a politician stands.

As far as I can tell, Romney would disband FEMA, now its good. He'd decrease tax revenue and increase spending, while we are already running a fiscal deficit, and he wants me to trust him that he'll find a way to pay for the deficit Obama has already set up, and the new spending he's talking about?

Sorry, doesn't add up
No, the numbers do not add up, and his general plan to "work with Democrats" is horribly naive. The Dems are not going to work with him, just like the GOP refused to work with Obama. They will probably return the "our #1 goal is to get you out of the office" right back the fact of GOP. His divisive attitude was evidenced by his 47% comments.

No, if he wins, he is doomed to fail.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,418 times
Quote:
Do you know? Please, tell us!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,494 times
Yep, they are two sides of the same coin; this is why I'm voting third-party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections