Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

A guy on Fox just explained how this could really upset a close election. He referenced Ohio. It may be the same in all states. His example was:

1. An absentee ballot is mailed.
2. For whatever reason, the voter decides to vote in person on election day and doesn't use his absentee ballot.
3. When he goes to vote, he receives a provisional ballot to make sure he doesn't vote twice and didn't use his absentee ballot.
4. Provisional ballots have to wait 10 days to be counted.

This could throw a monkey wrench into a close count.

Wouldn't that be unsettling.

I've never voted absentee or any way other than at the polls on election day. I didn't know this about absentee/provisional ballots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
A guy on Fox just explained how this could really upset a close election. He referenced Ohio. It may be the same in all states. His example was:

2. For whatever reason, the voter decides to vote in person on election day and doesn't use his absentee ballot.
3. When he goes to vote, he receives a provisional ballot to make sure he doesn't vote twice and didn't use his absentee ballot.

I've never voted absentee or any way other than at the polls on election day. I didn't know this about absentee/provisional ballots.
Do you have a TV in your office? How are you able to watch Fox News in the middle of the day?

And why are you watching Fox News, period?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
My hubby requested an absentee ballot a few years ago, and they send him one every year now. When he went in person to vote, he could not vote until he brought in his absentee ballot. He had to go back home, get it, bring it back and then he was able to vote. We're in Florida, though, and it appears not be that way in Ohio from what you are saying.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Obama will hopefully win Virginia and Florida so we don't have to wait on Ohio. The SOS state in Ohio should have never let this happen. Instead of concentrating on doing his job he was trying to suppress the overall vote.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Supposedly only ~60K of mailed absentee ballots in Ohio have not been returned (OH considers early voting in person as absentee). That was through last weekend so the number is probably smaller now.

I mean if at the end of the night the election is within say 10K could be an issue. God help us.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Supposedly only ~60K of mailed absentee ballots in Ohio have not been returned (OH considers early voting in person as absentee). That was through last weekend so the number is probably smaller now.

I mean if at the end of the night the election is within say 10K could be an issue. God help us.
It would likely have to be considerably closer than 10,000 in order for it to be an issue. Provisional ballots might vary from the election day count, but its not like you will have pretty close to a 50/50 vote and then the provisional ballots be 80/20 one side or the other.

We had something similar here for a Nassau County Exec race back in 09, the incumbent Democrat Tom Suozzi was up by little over 200 votes on Election Day and it took weeks to sort out and eventually the Republican Challenger Ed Mangano won by a couple hundred. Its possible to see swings of a few hundred or thousand at most, 10k swing I doubt it. Also absentee ballots are counted quicker than provisional ballots.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

That's putting it mildly. Who isn't ready for this to be over!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections