Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you didn't read my post. I said they are planning on BUILDING manufacturing there, not MOVING existing manufacturing there.

Chrysler CEO to employees: Jeep will remain in U.S. - Toledo Blade

"Fiat SpA, Chrysler's parent company, is considering building some Jeeps in China, though the production would be new, not shifted from elsewhere."

So yes, Jeep IS considering building Jeeps in China. I didn't say anything about moving all Jeep production to China, but that they would be building new manufacturing there. That's usually how companies start moving production overseas, by initiating new production there and then gradually moving other production to the place where it is cheapest to manufacture. Will Chrysler do this in the future? Only time will tell, but no, at this time they are not planning on moving existing manufacturing, just building new manufacturing in China.

Which is exactly what my post said.

What part of that didn't YOU get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Apparently you also have Romnesia. The article in no way indicates production in this country will stop, be reduced or change. In fact, more jobs are being added in Detroit.

Do the people who hang onto these lies fail to realize that almost every Japanese car we buy was probably made right here in the good old USA? Example: Anyone own a Toyota? Look up the list of countries in which Toyota has manufacturing plants. I have a Camry.

Toyota Camry beats Ford F-150 as most 'American made'

It is very costly to ship automobiles. All the article says is that, because Jeeps are so popular in China, the company was thinking about "returning" manufacturing to that country.

Why is it that, when even the CEO of the company says Romney completely misinterpreted the article and didn't fact check the source, Republicans keep spinning it?

By the way, as the above linked article points out:

Here are the 10 most American vehicles and where they're made:

Toyota Camry, Georgetown, Ky., and Lafayette, Ind.
Ford F-150, Dearborn, Mich., and Claycomo, Mo.
Honda Accord, Marysville, Ohio
Toyota Sienna, Princeton, Ind.
Honda Pilot, Lincoln, Ala.
Chevrolet Traverse, Lansing, Mich.
Toyota Tundra, San Antonio
Jeep Liberty, Toledo, Ohio
GMC Acadia, Lansing
Buick Enclave, Lansing

Please let me know if any of these manufacturing plants have been closed, since the article is 3 years old. I just don't have the patience to keep debating this issue, since both GM and Chrysler have debunked Romney's lies.

EDIT: Here's a more recently article

Toyota Builds 25 Millionth Vehicle in North America, A 2013 Avalon Hybrid

Building cars in another country, especially where they are in demand, isn't the same as closing factories at home, and that is what Mitt Romney told people. He said they were going to lose their jobs. End of story.
From the article which you apparently refuse to read:

"Fiat SpA(F) majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers’ operations in the region.

It is very easy to misread this statement to mean what Romney actually said. He then corrected the record on the matter.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises - Bloomberg

Read the end of the first paragraph so that you can understand where Romney got his idea.

....And then apologize to Mitt for being so ignorant of the facts
I'm supposed to apologize to Romney because he (or more likely, a campaign staffer) was too lazy to read past the first paragraph of an article, and then proceeded to trot across Ohio lying and putting out misleading ads? Why would I apologize? Mitt Romney should be apologizing to voters for intentionally misleading them and blatantly lying to their faces.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:

"Fiat SpA(F) majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers’ operations in the region.

It is very easy to misread this statement to mean what Romney actually said. He then corrected the record on the matter.
You have to stop trying to convince the Kool-Aid drinkers. It’s like arguing with a crumbling brick wall!

Last edited by rynetwo; 11-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added color

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
So yes, Jeep IS considering building Jeeps in China.
They have to since China has a 50% tariff on all imported cars. Besides EVERY SINGLE major automaker localizes production for each major market just to save on shipping costs and hedge against currency fluctuations. Rest assured though that if you buy a Jeep in the US then it will be made here.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
An executive at Chrysler said Romney is "full of ****". I think that says enough.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
God himself could appear from on high declaring it untrue and still the wing nuts would argue. They're just that delusional and in denial.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:

And by "make all of its models" people have taken that to mean that they will move production of all of their vehicles to China, not that they will make all of their models locally so that they are available for sale to the Chinese.

'Cause see, I read it the second way first, last and every time I've read it.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You have to stop trying to convince the Kool-Aid drinkers. It’s like arguing with a crumbling brick wall!
Seriously?

What this says to me is that people are proud of their lack of reading comprehension skills.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Perhaps you didn't read my post. I said they are planning on BUILDING manufacturing there, not MOVING existing manufacturing there.

[url=http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2012/10/30/Chrysler-CEO-to-employees-Jeep-will-remain-in-U-S.html]Chrysler CEO to employees: Jeep will remain in U.S. - Toledo Blade[/url]

"Fiat SpA, Chrysler's parent company, is considering building some Jeeps in China, though the production would be new, not shifted from elsewhere."

So yes, Jeep IS considering building Jeeps in China. I didn't say anything about moving all Jeep production to China, but that they would be building new manufacturing there. That's usually how companies start moving production overseas, by initiating new production there and then gradually moving other production to the place where it is cheapest to manufacture. Will Chrysler do this in the future? Only time will tell, but no, at this time they are not planning on moving existing manufacturing, just building new manufacturing in China.

Which is exactly what my post said.

What part of that didn't YOU get?
Ahem, again you don't seem to understand that they ALREADY built Jeeps in China. In any case, Romney said jobs are being moved to China and they are not. Now you are speculating what might happen.

A lot of things might happen. We might be hit by a large asteroid the size of the Earth and be pulverized into oblivion too.

Here is a statement directly from the CEO of the company:

Together, we are working to establish a global enterprise and previously announced our intent to return Jeep production to China, the world’s largest auto market, in order to satisfy local market demand, which would not otherwise be accessible. Chrysler Group is interested in expanding the customer base for our award-winning Jeep vehicles, which can only be done by establishing local production. This will ultimately help bolster the Jeep brand, and solidify the resilience of U.S. jobs.

That is what Romney twisted into "Jeep is moving jobs out of the US into China!"

Maybe this will help explain it better for you.

[url=http://www.emptywheel.net/2012/10/31/why-does-mitt-hate-profit/]Why Does Mitt Hate Profit? | emptywheel[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections