Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What positions has she taken that make her attractive as a Republican and conservative candidate?
She was GW Bush's lap dog. She was the Russia expert who wrecked relations with Russia. She was the worst S of S in living memory.

Yep, she sounds just like some one the GOP would think would make a great president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
She would not win the GOP nomination, but she'd win the general if she was somehow nominated by the GOP.

Kinda like Gary Johnson or Ron Paul, they'd be able to win all GOP votes and they'd be able to steal independents and even some Democrats/Libertarians with their views.
She can't win a general election for POTUS!! LMAO...i mean, not no but HELL NO! She'd be shockingly weak.

Look, i've got nothing against Rice, but i don't get all the Republican love for her. They don't even know what she believes in.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She can't win a general election for POTUS!! LMAO...i mean, not no but HELL NO! She'd be shockingly weak.

Look, i've got nothing against Rice, but i don't get all the Republican love for her. They don't even know what she believes in.
believe it or not, it isn't the Republicans that keep bringing her up or not the majority of them, we don't have a love for her. yes, she is articulate, smart and knows her way around, but I don't see her as one of the GOPs favorite stars right now.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
She would not win the GOP nomination, but she'd win the general if she was somehow nominated by the GOP.

Kinda like Gary Johnson or Ron Paul, they'd be able to win all GOP votes and they'd be able to steal independents and even some Democrats/Libertarians with their views.
I agree with this.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:

But that's the whole point. When it gets to the general election they line up behind party regardless.

Heck, look how many dems around here have said they don't like some of Obama's policies but he's better than Romney. Or vice versa?

I think that you could run a turnip for president and they'd still get a whole lot of votes just because of party loyalty.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Never claimed they were similar in any way.

But the GOP's lack of enthusiasm for both is much the same.
I didn't take it the way you meant it, well I did, to a degree, but my point, the GOP would get behind her much sooner than Paul. She is more mainstream...I also agree, the enthusiasm for her is not strong enough to make her a credible candidate. Plus she has no desire to run in the first place or so it appears..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Ron Paul: if he had won the nomination he would have been an interesting candidate and though I doubt he would have won, he would have had a lot of support from all sides. As for Gary Johnson, he would have gone nowhere, absolutely nowhere. I lived in NM when he was governor, he was popular and had some good ideas, but he isn't the type to attract national attention at all. For one thing, he has no personality :whether we like it or not, that plays into the picture. For the most part his views and Paul's views were not all that similar...Paul is much more extreme....

Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:

If she won the GOP nomination, all the GOP sheep would automatically vote for her, so that's 40%.
Then she'd win a small portion of blacks and women who normally are loyal to the Democrats, so that's like 45-50%, and essentially the win right there.

Her home state being California and being a black woman might allow her to be the first Republican to carry California since Bush in 1988. Carrying California would guarantee a GOP victory.

She may not have been a good Secretary of State and may not be a strong candidate, but that doesn't matter in a general election. All that matters is that the bottom 20% of people on the intelligence scale prefer voting for the black woman over the white man, if that's the case. If the GOP nominates Condi and the Democrats nominate a white man, it's a guarantee that Condi wins.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ron Paul: if he had won the nomination he would have been an interesting candidate and though I doubt he would have won, he would have had a lot of support from all sides. As for Gary Johnson, he would have gone nowhere, absolutely nowhere. I lived in NM when he was governor, he was popular and had some good ideas, but he isn't the type to attract national attention at all. For one thing, he has no personality :whether we like it or not, that plays into the picture. For the most part his views and Paul's views were not all that similar...Paul is much more extreme....

Paul is a loony toon, but his views would bring the ultra-liberals over to the GOP simply because he is anti-war and anti-prohibition.

Johnson doesn't have charisma, which is why he was completely ignored in favor of idiots and nutjobs like Perry, Santorum, Bachmann and Cain, but if he somehow won the nomination his position on marijuana alone would win him the election. GOP voters wouldn't switch and vote for a Democrat, but many Democrats would see his positions on drugs (and his own admitted use of medical marijuana) and vote for him because of that.

Either way, they'd be better candidates than Romney to win the hearts and minds of the opposition, and that's what the GOP needs to do desperately. They will vanish if they continue to elect old white guys who come from money as they've done for the past 4 elections.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM

288 posts, read 350,241 times
It would depend upon the media...they 100% make and break the candidates.

Tb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections