Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,693 times

Advertisements

I know its early, and 4 years is a long time in politics,

Who do you think will win the nominations for the GOP?

Susanna Martinez- She is the darkhorse. She is a relatively popular Gov. in a blue state. Also, shes female and hispanic, which will benefit her. She is also known as being a very tough, no nonsense leader. I think shes more formidable than Rubio.

Pyush Bobby Jindhal- a smart person who is a Rhodes scholar, and a popular gov but his 09 S of U speech was a flop, however, I could see him on the ticket.

Rubio- obvious front-runner, and has the charm needed to win elections now days (a sad reality) but he is still green, and I don't think he'll be ready by 2016, or be the nominee. Watch out for him in 2020 if Republicans lose.

Christie- is toast. I wouldn't be surprised if he switches parties by week's end.

Mike Huckabee- like Rick Santorum, he could be a favorite among evangelicals and social conservatives. Unlike Santorum, he is not a raving neocon warmonger. His slightly liberal stance on immigration could help him in a party trying to improve its image with hispanics. His moderate positions on taxes and crime could get him in trouble with the tea party crowd.

Rick Perry- a bumbling idiot who couldn't find oil in Texas.

Rick Santorum- he is a loony, far-right wing social conservative that most on the left associate everyone on the right as being. He wont last.

Sarah Palin- I think shes gonna run, even though she has no chance at either the GOP nod or the presidency, but she will be 2016's Newt Gingrich, running to show off her snarky remarks and to sell books.

Michelle Bachmann- just kidding

Bush- hes got the wrong last name, even for Republicans. The tea party crowd doesn't like him, neither do the moderates. He probably would have been a better POTUS than his brother, but the Bush name is toxic in presidential politics.

Rand Paul- he, like Rubio is still green, but I would watch out for him down the road, the libertarian wing of the GOP is growing.

Paul Ryan- bingo. Hes conservative, but not extreme. He also has the Midwestern appeal, as well as being well vetted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Looks like another loony bin race. Guess the dems will take the WH again in 2016.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Looks like another loony bin race. Guess the dems will take the WH again in 2016.
Yep. Americans rejected far right ideology. Obama won because he's not a fringe looney, despite what the far right say. Well, to them anyone to the left of them is a pinko commie

Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,400 times
yawn.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
If they want to win it better not be anyone on your list. They are all losers for sure.
If Clinton runs and I really think she will, it doesn't matter who the GOP puts up against her. They won't win!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky1039 View Post

Susanna Martinez- She is the darkhorse. She is a relatively popular Gov. in a blue state. Also, shes female and hispanic, which will benefit her. She is also known as being a very tough, no nonsense leader. I think shes more formidable than Rubio.

Pyush Bobby Jindhal- a smart person who is a Rhodes scholar, and a popular gov but his 09 S of U speech was a flop, however, I could see him on the ticket.

Rubio- obvious front-runner, and has the charm needed to win elections now days (a sad reality) but he is still green, and I don't think he'll be ready by 2016, or be the nominee. Watch out for him in 2020 if Republicans lose.

Christie- is toast. I wouldn't be surprised if he switches parties by week's end.

Mike Huckabee- like Rick Santorum, he could be a favorite among evangelicals and social conservatives. Unlike Santorum, he is not a raving neocon warmonger. His slightly liberal stance on immigration could help him in a party trying to improve its image with hispanics. His moderate positions on taxes and crime could get him in trouble with the tea party crowd.

Rick Santorum- he is a loony, far-right wing social conservative that most on the left associate everyone on the right as being. He wont last.

Sarah Palin- I think shes gonna run, even though she has no chance at either the GOP nod or the presidency, but she will be 2016's Newt Gingrich, running to show off her snarky remarks and to sell books.

Bush- hes got the wrong last name, even for Republicans. The tea party crowd doesn't like him, neither do the moderates. He probably would have been a better POTUS than his brother, but the Bush name is toxic in presidential politics.

Rand Paul- he, like Rubio is still green, but I would watch out for him down the road, the libertarian wing of the GOP is growing.

Paul Ryan- bingo. Hes conservative, but not extreme. He also has the Midwestern appeal, as well as being well vetted
Paul Ryan is a gutless slime ball. He voted for the tax cut fiscal deal that increased the debt of our country by $4 trillion, yet he voted no against Sandy hurricane relief. Seriously, **** that piece of ****.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky1039 View Post

Your assessment is spot on. If I had to guess right now, I would guess that Marco Rubio will be the 2016 nominee. I have no idea who will be the D nominee. I don't think Hillary wants it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
Pretty good analysis, except I don't think Ryan is going to look all that appealing. And there are certainly others that can emerge. The biggest challenge for Republican candidates is surviving the primaries in one piece. Of the names listed, I think Huckabee has the best shot of doing this, but I don't know how eager he would be to get back into the game. Punditry is lot easier on the nerves.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Default 2016 GOP primary

This looks like a strong ticket.

The GOP anti-Hillary strategy.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Huck and Santorum are both done, IMO. They are both 'big government conservatives,' both religious. That's basically what we had with W Bush. Tea Partiers, and the GOP base want someone who is a real conservative, a limited-gov't conservative.

Plus do we really want 8 more years of lectures about diet and exercise coming out of the wh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections