Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
This looks like a strong ticket.

The GOP anti-Hillary strategy.

I translate this roughly to 'Dems have nobody for 2016.' Hillary is unlikely to run, in my view. She's been complaining about a lack of sleep since 2007. Now she has health worries too. She'll be 69 in Nov, 2016. (and btw, Biden will be 74, 2 weeks from 75.

The best hope I see for Dems now is that Chris Christie switches parties and runs. If that happens, a lot of lefty trolls are going to have to take back a lot of fat jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Huck and Santorum are both done, IMO. They are both 'big government conservatives,' both religious. That's basically what we had with W Bush. Tea Partiers, and the GOP base want someone who is a real conservative, a limited-gov't conservative.

Plus do we really want 8 more years of lectures about diet and exercise coming out of the wh?
Wutitiz, haven't you noticed by now almost every Republican preaches about limited government, small government, etc., when on the campaign trail but NEVER delivers when they actually do get elected? Hell, even people in the right side of the GOP get buyer's remorse every so often and you'll start to see signs that say "keep your hands off my Medicare and Social Security". The irony is, those 2 programs are the GOP's biggest sacred cows.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Huck and Santorum are both done, IMO. They are both 'big government conservatives,' both religious. That's basically what we had with W Bush. Tea Partiers, and the GOP base want someone who is a real conservative, a limited-gov't conservative.

Plus do we really want 8 more years of lectures about diet and exercise coming out of the wh?
I agree... Exercise and Dieting are horrible ideas. Stay fat America!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Christie isn't going to change parties. Why should he? As a independent thinking Republican, he has undeniable star power all the others lack. He commands the stage with his presence every time.

Love him or hate him, Christie has the ability to connect with people, and his determined refusal to walk the party line like a robot makes him a very solid contender in a party that wants the White House back. There is nothing phony about the guy.
But it remains to be seen if he has higher ambitions. Personally, I think he's content being Governor as he is a Jersey boy to the bone. I believe it is far more likely he will run for re-election there before he considers a run for the Presidency.

And, like Huckabee did, he has plenty of time left to shed 100 lbs. before he enters the race. Richardson did the same for his 2008 run on the Democratic side.

Santorum, Huckabee, Palin, Perry and Ryan are toasted and done. By 2016, all will be yesterday's news, lining the bottom of a bird cage.

Rubio may develop some personality between now and then, but right now, he looks like a younger Romney.

Martinez may make waves, but she's not well known at present. But a young female Governor made big waves in 2008 until she flamed out. If Martinez is actually competent, is sensible, and can speak in sentences that don't need a decoder ring to translate, maybe she has a shot.

I once thought Huntsman stood the best chance to win in 2016, but I'm pretty convinced now that he won't run. But I've been wrong before, so it is possible he's still mulling it over. If he does run, both he and his party will have to develop more fire in their bellies to get him into office.

4 years is a long time in politics; all of these people can easily bubble to the top or sink to the bottom between now and then.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-05-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Talk of Rubio just further solidifies how much the GOP is out of touch.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky1039 View Post

Susanna Martinez- She is the darkhorse. She is a relatively popular Gov. in a blue state. Also, shes female and hispanic, which will benefit her. She is also known as being a very tough, no nonsense leader. I think shes more formidable than Rubio.
She won't run since she is unwilling to leave New Mexico for an extended period of time due to personal reasons.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Your assessment is spot on. If I had to guess right now, I would guess that Marco Rubio will be the 2016 nominee. I have no idea who will be the D nominee. I don't think Hillary wants it.
Marco Rubio?????????? You mean that guy who MADE UP his life story? His family were refugees from Castro except they wern't? What's with you Americans? Is there no one who is honest, who has a bit of integrity and is just not generally a slimeball that can be put up by the GOP pick for POTUS?

I guess the party just attracts that sort.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
It doesn't matter who the GOP picks, the left will attack them all viciously with distortions and lies. Just look and the leftist idiots who've already trashed this thread attacking people 4 full years before an election. Regardless of who actually ends up running within 24 hours they'll all be painted as the richest, out of touch, woman hating, racist, baby kickers known to man... all while they support rich, out of touch, racist morons themselves. The GOP could run a lesbian, Mexican, atheist, farm girl who grew up in a field where her father picked tomatoes to pay the rent and the lefties would still attack her for being an old, rich white, male Republican.

The people who would do the best job as President are far too smart to run for the office given the attacks they face the minute they sign the paper.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default 2016 GOP primary

Quote:
I translate this roughly to 'Dems have nobody for 2016.'
Well, we've all seen how well the right has been in predicting political trends recently.

Quote:
Hillary is unlikely to run, in my view. She's been complaining about a lack of sleep since 2007. Now she has health worries too. She'll be 69 in Nov, 2016. (and btw, Biden will be 74, 2 weeks from 75.
I agree that both Hillary and Biden are unlikely candidates. But this thread is about the next GOP primary.

Quote:
The best hope I see for Dems now is that Chris Christie switches parties and runs. If that happens, a lot of lefty trolls are going to have to take back a lot of fat jokes.
The fact that Christie would be a good candidate automatically disqualifies him from serious GOP consideration. A solid GOP "contender" has to have teabagger credentials. The Pubs have shown a very strong tendency to devour their own recently. Which means they'll lose the general. Again.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 16,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Christie isn't going to change parties. Why should he? As a independent thinking Republican, he has undeniable star power all the others lack. He commands the stage with his presence every time.

Love him or hate him, Christie has the ability to connect with people, and his determined refusal to walk the party line like a robot makes him a very solid contender in a party that wants the White House back. There is nothing phony about the guy.
But it remains to be seen if he has higher ambitions. Personally, I think he's content being Governor as he is a Jersey boy to the bone. I believe it is far more likely he will run for re-election there before he considers a run for the Presidency.

And, like Huckabee did, he has plenty of time left to shed 100 lbs. before he enters the race. Richardson did the same for his 2008 run on the Democratic side.

Santorum, Huckabee, Palin, Perry and Ryan are toasted and done. By 2016, all will be yesterday's news, lining the bottom of a bird cage.

Rubio may develop some personality between now and then, but right now, he looks like a younger Romney.

Martinez may make waves, but she's not well known at present. But a young female Governor made big waves in 2008 until she flamed out. If Martinez is actually competent, is sensible, and can speak in sentences that don't need a decoder ring to translate, maybe she has a shot.

I once thought Huntsman stood the best chance to win in 2016, but I'm pretty convinced now that he won't run. But I've been wrong before, so it is possible he's still mulling it over. If he does run, both he and his party will have to develop more fire in their bellies to get him into office.

4 years is a long time in politics; all of these people can easily bubble to the top or sink to the bottom between now and then.
I agree that Christie is trying to make a name for himself as someone who can be pragmatic and bi-partisan. Hes not ultraconservative, but still more to the right than the left. I think he may be to the GOP what Bill Clinton was for Dems (he moved his party to the center), and unlike most moderate Republicans, he has shown that he can push back hard at the far right, just as he has against the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections