Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

674 posts, read 805,087 times

Advertisements

So first Barack Obama proclaimed he will no longer wear a flag lapel pin. Now this photo surfaces:

Sept. 17 in Iowa during the national anthem. It shows Obama, Hillary and Bill Richardson....only Obama seems disrespectful in regard to the flag.

What is up with him? When running for office, perception is reality. The perception is that he does not care about traditional shows of patriotism. Will this hurt him? I actually think it will, and should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
I know plenty of people who don't put their hand on their heart for the Anthem, they are not unpatriotic.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I know plenty of people who don't put their hand on their heart for the Anthem, they are not unpatriotic.
True, but they are not running for President and the show is not the substance for them. In a campaign for the top office in the country, don't you think the candidates should at least put on the image that this is the most important thing to them? Grab all the stereotypical imagery possible and put on a show for us voters.

If he is not willing to at least try to make me believe he values the traditional symbolism of our country, why should I believe he believes in what those symbols represent?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Yes, but are those people running for office?

Perception is reality in PR, and especially in politics. Howard Dean, people. Howard Dean. One "whoo-hoo" and he was branded a goofball for life.

EDIT: johnrex, I must have been typing in unison with you!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM

640 posts, read 461,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
So first Barack Obama proclaimed he will no longer wear a flag lapel pin. Now this photo surfaces:

Sept. 17 in Iowa during the national anthem. It shows Obama, Hillary and Bill Richardson....only Obama seems disrespectful in regard to the flag.

What is up with him? When running for office, perception is reality. The perception is that he does not care about traditional shows of patriotism. Will this hurt him? I actually think it will, and should.
Good question! I saw this also ~ he won't wear the US flag on his lapel and now he won't show respect while the National Anthem plays. He thinks he poop don't stink, I guess

Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM

I see John1960 also started a thread on this-- I started this on the Political Board and it was moved here, sorry guys.

But we can continue.....

Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Wearing a lapel-pin does not make you patriotic, you actions do. IMO, Obama's actions are just as patriotic as the remainder of the candidates. If we fall victim to the pretense and formalities of "patriotism", and must wear it on our sleeves to become a viable candidate....well....that's a very sad day for America.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Placing your hand over your heart during the national anthem in front of the flag is not to show patriotism. It is to show respect for the people gone buy that helped keep that flag standing. In a way, it's patriotism, but more importantly, it's out of respect.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Aren't they supoposed to be facing the flag anyway???

Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM

/\ That's the point, we (at least I) don't know the context of this picture.
Anyways, Obama, while not conventional, was standing respectfully and looking towards the flag. His hands weren't in his pockets. He didn't sit in his chair. That stance is diminutive and humble, no more or less so than putting one's hand on their heart. The flag is a symbol which represents America, soldiers, et. cetera. he respected what it represents. This is all a moot point. Actions are more important than conventions. It is more degrading to the soldiers to cut VA funding than it is to put your hand over your heart. Claiming something and doing something are two very different things. Sen. Obama does both, there are other candidates who only put creedence in the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections