Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
But, but, but.....it was and still is ok to back the liar in cheater Bill Clinton! The hypocrisy from the left is disgusting.
The difference, of course, is the left doesn't run on the Holier Than Thou platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is true. We don't run around proclaiming ourselves to be the party of family values. We let the GOP make those hypocritical claims while hiking the Appalachian Trail and taking wide stances in public restrooms.
Hypocritical? Not really as all humans fail. But since when is either party NOT for family values?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Hypocritical? Not really as all humans fail. But since when is either party NOT for family values?
Well, a lot of GOP politicians love to talk about how much they love the family, and preach family values, but do little to support policies that actually help families - such as funding for schools and health care.

"Sure, they're "pro-life." They believe life begins at conception and ends at birth."

Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, a lot of GOP politicians love to talk about how much they love the family, and preach family values, but do little to support policies that actually help families - such as funding for schools and health care.

"Sure, they're "pro-life." They believe life begins at conception and ends at birth."
I have never seen a candidate, on either side that did not care about the family and about children in general. I have seen candidates that would like to see people get their asses off the couch and get jobs to support their kids or stop having kids. This has nothing to do with abortion. Funding for schools, it seems pouring more money into schools and education isn't doing a thing to help our children learn. It is time for moms and dads to instill the importance of education into the heads of kids before they start schools. After that it is almost too late. I had a teacher (this is back in the 70s) tell me, even kids who are part of the Headstart program do not continue to preform at expected levels, after the first year or so unless the family helps these kids by providing a good family life. Would you like to see the government take over raising everyone's kids? It sounds like that.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yes, he was a Tea Party candidate and was easily reelected despite that report. The Chattanooga Times Free Press then ran this piece a few weeks after the election that corroborated their previous investigation:

"Tennessee physician and Republican U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais supported his ex-wife’s decision to get two abortions before their marriage, according to the congressman’s sworn testimony during his divorce trial.

Obtained by the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the couple’s 2001 trial transcript also confirms DesJarlais had sexual relationships with at least two patients, three coworkers and a drug representative while he was chief of staff at Grandview Medical Center in Jasper, Tenn. During one affair with a female patient, DesJarlais prescribed her drugs, gave her an $875 watch and bought her a plane ticket to Las Vegas, records show."

Scott DesJarlais supported ex-wife's abortions, slept with patients, divorce transcript shows | timesfreepress.com

I do know that you are usually informed, so I'm somewhat surprised you never heard of this guy. You will understand why Democrats scoff when Republicans claim the mantle of "family values" and then reelect a guy like this. Of course, this kind of behavior isn't limited to Republicans, but Democrats don't claim the kind of moral high ground that their GOP counterparts do.
Obviously his values do not match mine and I have to admit I have never heard of the guy, but again I don't know everything about every congressman, thank God, I wouldn't want to, I don't think. I do have to admit, of course I am a little surprised, but their are bad apples in most carts. Certainly the Republicans have them. so do the Democrats. And I don't buy this crap about: not running on the holier than thou platform. Wrong is wrong, there is not getting around it. What happens in your bedroom has nothing to do with anything, except, yes, in cases like this, it makes a difference. If he claimed to be anti abortion and approved of abortions in his own family, it does make a difference unless there is more to the story.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Not sure this will help Sanford much ... but you never know about those family value SC Repubs ..

Report: Mark Sanford accused of trespassing - The Hill's Ballot Box

http://www.thestate.com/2013/04/16/2...ing_newsletter

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There just seems to be something off about him. The impulsive behavior, the public breakdown and weird speech after he was busted, the complete lack of introspection a la asking the ex-wife who clearly doesn't like him very much to help run his campaign, points to someone who may just have a... let's say, atypical personality. Throw in his rather strict political ideology and there is obviously something going on.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It looks as though the NRCC is bailing on Sanford.

Republicans pull plug on Mark Sanford - Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com

Basically they are giving up.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never seen a candidate, on either side that did not care about the family and about children in general. I have seen candidates that would like to see people get their asses off the couch and get jobs to support their kids or stop having kids. This has nothing to do with abortion. Funding for schools, it seems pouring more money into schools and education isn't doing a thing to help our children learn. It is time for moms and dads to instill the importance of education into the heads of kids before they start schools. After that it is almost too late. I had a teacher (this is back in the 70s) tell me, even kids who are part of the Headstart program do not continue to preform at expected levels, after the first year or so unless the family helps these kids by providing a good family life. Would you like to see the government take over raising everyone's kids? It sounds like that.

Well, of course, nobody wants to admit that they don't care about the family or children. But a lot of times they (politicians) don't put their money where their mouth is.

You seem to infer that if we don't give resources to people who need it, maybe starving them of resources will do the trick. The old "personal responsibility" meme, or bootstrap myth. The problem is that you want to control the shoe allocation.

Actually, HeadStart has been tremendously successful. The problem with arguments against Head Start on the grounds that the gains it effects aren't sustained, is that this points to problems further up the education system rather than the failure of Head Start. Fix the problem upstream rather than hacking away at Head Start. A lot of low-income students in Head Start still go to underfunded schools.

And as you know, academic achievement/performance of schools is highly correlated with income/socioeconomic status.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-17-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, of course, nobody wants to admit that they don't care about the family or children. But a lot of times they (politicians) don't put their money where their mouth is.

You seem to infer that if we don't give resources to people who need it, maybe starving them of resources will do the trick. The old "personal responsibility" meme, or bootstrap myth. The problem is that you want to control the shoe allocation.

Actually, HeadStart has been tremendously successful. The problem with arguments against Head Start on the grounds that the gains it effects aren't sustained, is that this points to problems further up the education system rather than the failure of Head Start. Fix the problem upstream rather than hacking away at Head Start. A lot of low-income students in Head Start still go to underfunded schools.

And as you know, academic achievement/performance of schools is highly correlated with income/socioeconomic status.
Tell us where you are getting the information about HeadStart being successful. As I have said, I have talked to teachers; they say, HeadStart kids enter kindergarten ahead of kids in similar enviornment but by third grade they are at the same level as those who have not had any early education. I guess it depends on whether you pay attention to reports and studies or pay more attention to those involved in a situation.

And by the way I do not want to starve anyone, Heck I work (volunteer) helping those in need. Dont' try and tell me what I do and do not want to do? I am sure you give hours a week to volunteering helping those who need help, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections