Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times

Advertisements

I just read this:

Jon Huntsman Holds His Ground as Republicans Come Around to His Views - The Daily Beast

Jon Huntsman has been busy lately speaking to GOP groups and to some of the high investment GOP supporters, who are presently waiting for party developments before they begin committing money for 2016.
It seems the party is coming around to the positions Huntsman has been covering for the past 2 years.

As the article mentioned, a Huntsman being elected governor of Utah was about as hard as a Kennedy being elected in Massachusetts, and he was a green novice who got off to a late and unorganized start in late 2011.
But Huntsman is intelligent, disciplined, well connected, and ambitious. Of all the candidates of 2012, he is the only one who wouldn't have to change his former positions of 2012 in 2016, and he has plenty of time to learn what he needs and develop a strong organization.

He is way to smart to announce anything until he feels he's fully prepared next time, and he admits that he could not emerge from the 2016 primaries as the winner. He is confident, though, that whoever wins will share the majority of his positions. It will all depend on how much the GOP is willing to accept and work out the changes that are needed in the party between now and then.

I have believed his fire was out, but I was wrong. I've thought all along Huntsman has appeal to all the moderates and independents that Romney and all the others did not have in 2012. I guess we will have to see what develops. For me, Huntsman is the only Republican I would be happy with at the present, but 2016 is still a political lifetime away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Huntsman's a "moderate" Republican. The extremists, the American Taliban and other oddballs who control the Republican primary process ... once rejected Huntsman and will continue to reject him. There's not time enough for the party to put different, other than the extremist, make-up on in an attempt to fool America as to who we know them to be. A good, honest man he seems to be. It's a shame that there's no room for him and his voice in the electoral process.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,551 times
In other news GOP primary voters may be considering voting for Huntsman somewhere behind Santorum and Rafalca.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
I am surprised that liberals would support a wall street globalist chemical manufacturer, pushing a bigger china agenda.

http://huntsman.com/corporate/a/Home

but life is full of surprises.

maybe they think he is good-looking.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
I'm not voting for a Mormon, among other serious issues I have with him. Sorry Huntsman

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I am surprised that liberals would support a wall street globalist chemical manufacturer, pushing a bigger china agenda.

Huntsman Corporation

but life is full of surprises.

maybe they think he is good-looking.
As far as that goes, i doubt many liberals will support a Republican at all. But moderates and uncommitteds may, if it's the right globalist and the right Mormon. Romney is both, and he did a lot better than most folks would have thought at this time 4 years ago.

Four years ago, I would have never believed the GOP would endorse and support a black female Mormon so strongly, but they did. Mia Love is still shining, 6 months later.

It still remains to be seen if the base will accept that the political sands are shifting and will move with them. Huntsman acknowledged that he might not be the candidate, but he thinks the candidate will share his positions in 2016, whoever it is.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm not voting for a Mormon...
And you call yourself "the unbrainwashed"?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Huntsman's a "moderate" Republican. The extremists, the American Taliban and other oddballs who control the Republican primary process ... once rejected Huntsman and will continue to reject him. There's not time enough for the party to put different, other than the extremist, make-up on in an attempt to fool America as to who we know them to be. A good, honest man he seems to be. It's a shame that there's no room for him and his voice in the electoral process.
I get what you're saying, but Huntsman just doesn't appeal to me. I've talked it over with fellow GOP'ers with similar feelings and I can't put my finger on it. I don't care about the religion, Mormons are great people, and if it was a choice between him or Hillary, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I just don't see him winning the primaries.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm not voting for a Mormon, among other serious issues I have with him. Sorry Huntsman
I am not a Huntsman supporter and probably never will be, but why would anyone not vote for someone because of the religious views? Do you feel the same about voting for a Jew, an atheist or an agnostic for starters? I do not think he will get any further next time around, than last time, but his religion should not make a difference.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,551 times
I wouldn't vote for a Scientologist, Unarian, Moonie, Raelian, or Urantian either. Followers of Eckankar I'd have to see what their position on AMT is first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections