Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,192,659 times

Advertisements

Ahh, now I understand.

No, you fail miserably to understand.

You're one of the people who genuflected before the Greek columns at the DNC's convention in 2008.

No

You believed Obama's ridiculous rhetoric about running the most transparent administration in history, reaching across the aisle, calming troubled waters, healing nature's wounds and finding a cure for the common cold.

No

You are a swooner, and you are young enough to think that the hype around Hope and Change will never go away. You believe that every Presidential election from now until the end of time will be won by your precious Democrat Party.

No, and I'm old enough to have voted in the 1996 Presidential election, and was just over a month shy from having been able to vote in the 1992 election.

To presume that is just laughable and it shows how naive and foolish you are. I think I'm done trying to communicate with you. My beagle understands politics and its cyclical nature better than you.

Yes, that imaginary me you just created is laughable. But your diversion seems to prove the point, mayor of San Diego is the cheapest of vicarious thrills, and it's hardly a substitute for winning the White House, which again, you won't win. So congratulations on winning a minor seat that for the majority of the last 100 years, has been held by a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,383,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Republican wins San Diego mayoral special election « Hot Air

I didn't expect the GOP would win this one! 2014 is going to get worse, and worse, and worse, for any politician with a (D) after his or her name.

This is great news, but I'm not surprised. As a former San Diegan, I know the Democrats have had a history of corruption in that town, and the latest was Bob Filner. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

How many of you are aware of former Democrat Mayor "Queen" Maureen O'Conner's gambling addiction and losses?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,416,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Considering that major polling firms, including CNN, and Gallup had the race as a tie or Alverez up by a consistant 1% over the last 10 days, yes, there was alot of surprise.

This is the only thing the GOP can take from this win but its a lesson they will never learn.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Huh? Whatever that means.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
^^This.
Honestly, I was more surprised that the last mayor was a Democrat.
"Queen" Maureen (O'Connor) was also a Democrat. She was succeeded by Susan Golding, a Republican.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
From what I read the winner is a center right traditional Republican (aka RINO) and not a venom-spewing, government-in-your-bedroom tea party man. In other words, he is nothing that the wingnuts out there would ever support or should get excited over. It does demonstrate that moderate Republicans can win elections in the 21st century.
The fact remains he won the election in one of the largest cities in the state. It shows the party has not lost all its support in California. Not many are going to start dancing in the streets or think this is a mandate, but it does show the party isn't as dead as the left would like to think.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
99.9 percent of the country had no idea that there was a mayoral race in san diego.

nobody cares. wait until november to start bragging.
you want to bet: they may not have known the election was coming up this soon, but they were aware of the vacancy and the upcoming election plus what does that have to do with anything, except to show even in California a Republican has some clout.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,416,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The fact remains he won the election in one of the largest cities in the state. It shows the party has not lost all its support in California. Not many are going to start dancing in the streets or think this is a mandate, but it does show the party isn't as dead as the left would like to think.

San Diego has traditionally been Republican leaning for years and years. You can attribute some of that to the large military presence (though not exclusively). However, it's not all uniformly all-red all the time, everywhere.

Within the central city and south of I-8, you have very Democratic leaning areas, particularly those that are lower or moderate income, more people of color. The areas northward, such as Poway, Rancho Bernardo, tend to be higher income, more Caucasian, more Republican. Darrell Issa comes from that part.

That said, it has been leaning less Republican in recent years, and also the social cultural issues that appeal to the traditional right wing are likely to curry less favor. Faulconer tends to be more moderate on social issues which play better in this region. So I think if he doesn't go all Focus on the Family or Tom Tancredo he can stay in office and get reelected.

Roger Hedgecock, a former Republican mayor in the 1980s, actually wasn't all that extreme as a mayor until he became a talk show host and moved his views and words to the right - basically a West Coast version of Limbaugh. Come to think of it, so was Pete Wilson - a former mayor of SD, senator, and then governor, who was pretty moderate until he got desperate in a reelection campaign and started the fateful embrace of anti-immigration politics as a wedge issue.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,416,437 times
Quote:
One oddity about San Diego, it that it's the only large city in California that actively annexed it's suburbs through the 70's and 80's, though in many cases retaining the pre-existing suburban school district. hence as you move up the ladder, you can go from Barrio-Logan and mediocre city schools to Rancho Bernardo and their highly rated Poway school district, but still live in the City of San Diego limits, I mention this here with your quote because exit polls now show, that in this race upwardly mobile suburban Hispanics went for the Republican by a 20 point margin.
Good point for pointing out the context. If the city didn't annex its suburbs, it might be more Democratic politically. That might have been a political strategy pursued by the city politicians back then in order to help keep the Republicans' political fortunes afloat. You can make a rough socioeconomic divide of the city using the I-8 freeway as a line between the more blue-collar city southwards and the upper income suburbs to the north.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,156,630 times
Quote:
Considering that major polling firms, including CNN, and Gallup had the race as a tie or Alverez up by a consistant 1% over the last 10 days, yes, there was alot of surprise.

Faulconer is probably a RINO, but is at least center-Right, last years GOP nominee, Carl DeMaio was a definite center-left RINO, including being in a same sex marrige, which cost him the base.

I pointed out over at the SD C-D forum that pro-union soft $$ organization ran very rude and abrasive, pro Alverez ads that were virtually word for word the same as the pro-Filner ads from last year, after Filner's antics over the last year, people were really sick of anything union endorsed this year. I honestly think that if the unions had shut up, the race would have been alot closer.
So your saying the Republican base is prejudiced against people in same sex marriages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections