Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Alison Lundergan Grimes defeat Mitch McConnell in November 2014?
Yes 23 71.88%
No 10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

While at this point I think McConnell will win, Gimes certainly can. This is basically a pure tossup at this point and will be vey close. It will not be one of the races called a short time after the polls close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I hope she wins but I'm not sure where the idea comes from that she is tied or ahead of McConnell.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Kentucky Senate - McConnell vs. Grimes

Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The 2014 Kentucky Senate election is very close and Democratic candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes is either tied or ahead with the unpopular Republican Mitch McConnell. Can she pull an upset, or is the political environment going to give McConnell another term?
Kentucky already has a Democratic governor. That state seems to not vote the straight ticket like so many southern states. She probably has a good chance of beating McConnell.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Kentucky already has a Democratic governor. That state seems to not vote the straight ticket like so many southern states. She probably has a good chance of beating McConnell.
Kentucky Democrats historically dominate the statewide Constitutional offices, but when it comes to Congressional Races, Kentucky skews overwhelmingly Republican. Only 1 Republican has been elected Governor since 1971, and he lost his bid for re-election, while both Senators and 5 of 6 Congressmen currently are Republicans.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I voted yes, just to see what other folks think, and was surprised to find that the yeses have it!

I would have preferred a maybe vote. Because while I really think she could, it will be close, and will depend a lot on the national picture.

I saw her recent speech, and, she, um, pulls no punches. Whether that will be a winning strategy, I dunno, but I will say that the base of any party is more likely to turn out for a barn-burner in non-presidential years. McConnell has been around for a long time, and his leadership position may not help him, given how unpopular congress is, especially congressional Rs. A lot R voters see Rs like him as equal to the Ds in causing problems, and may not care enough about him to bother to vote.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Grimes will win if she can convince the Kentucky voters that she will - fight for Coal, that she will not be a rubber stamp for Obama, that she will stop Harry Reid from shutting down the Senate, that it's better for Kentucky to have a Junior Senator with no clout, instead of a Senate Majority Leader for Senator - that that she has a magic wand that will put a pot of gold in every home in Kentucky.

I don't know enough about Kentucky voters to know if she can do all that or not.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:31 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Grimes will win if she can convince the Kentucky voters that she will - fight for Coal, that she will not be a rubber stamp for Obama, that she will stop Harry Reid from shutting down the Senate, that it's better for Kentucky to have a Junior Senator with no clout, instead of a Senate Majority Leader for Senator - that that she has a magic wand that will put a pot of gold in every home in Kentucky.

I don't know enough about Kentucky voters to know if she can do all that or not.
Regarding supporting coal, it may be McConnell that has some convincing to do.

"While Sen. Mitch McConnell is traveling Kentucky portraying himself as a friend of coal, his wife, former Labor Secretary Elaine Chao, sits on the board of Bloomberg Philanthrophies, an organization that is supporting an anti-coal campaign.

McConnell, a Republican seeking his sixth term in one of the nation’s most-watched Senate races, also has been a staunch defender of tobacco interests. But, again, Chao is advising the Bloomberg group even as it backs a global battle against tobacco
."

McConnell

Grimes also needs to pound McConnell on the lie that he can get rid of Obamacare but Kentuckians can keep their very popular ACA exchange, Kynect. It's a longshot for Grimes, but it's not out of reach or the realm of possibility.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Regarding supporting coal, it may be McConnell that has some convincing to do.

"While Sen. Mitch McConnell is traveling Kentucky portraying himself as a friend of coal, his wife, former Labor Secretary Elaine Chao, sits on the board of Bloomberg Philanthrophies, an organization that is supporting an anti-coal campaign.

McConnell, a Republican seeking his sixth term in one of the nation’s most-watched Senate races, also has been a staunch defender of tobacco interests. But, again, Chao is advising the Bloomberg group even as it backs a global battle against tobacco
."

McConnell

Grimes also needs to pound McConnell on the lie that he can get rid of Obamacare but Kentuckians can keep their very popular ACA exchange, Kynect. It's a longshot for Grimes, but it's not out of reach or the realm of possibility.
Yes. For a fact, many Kentuckians don't like McConnell's much younger wife very much. That she refuses to resign any of her positions only adds to her unpopularity. And, unfortunately, that she's a natural-born Chinese who became a naturalized U.S. citizen only adds another factor of dislike.

Mitch is seen by the teabaggers as being a pawn and uninterested in being a pure Republican. That hurts him, too.

It's also easy to forget that there are very blue areas scattered all over Kentucky as well. There are counties there that have never elected a Republican, ever. Kentucky is not the conservative stronghold as most folks think it is.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Not in this election cycle. The Democrat brand is too tarnished, especially with the lodestone of Obama and his failed Presidency around Grimes' neck.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,530,774 times
I certainly hope the good folks of Kentucky won't elect that idiot as their Senator.

Last edited by D-Towner; 08-13-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections