Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:50 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times

Advertisements

Unemployment rate down to 5.9%. 600k jobs open in manufacturing. Has the gutting of the public school systems over the last 30yrs. Hurt the current job age population? The cuts to school budgets and the elimination of trade program's first and then arts. The states should be looking to increase education, you now hear a need for immigration, smart immigration. It's funny Romney was right if the Republicans didn't beat pres Obama they would have problems. Good news is good news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Unemployment rate down to 5.9%. 600k jobs open in manufacturing. Has the gutting of the public school systems over the last 30yrs. Hurt the current job age population? The cuts to school budgets and the elimination of trade program's first and then arts. The states should be looking to increase education, you now hear a need for immigration, smart immigration. It's funny Romney was right if the Republicans didn't beat pres Obama they would have problems. Good news is good news
you are very patrician are you? of course the unemployment rate is good news, but really, look at the whole picture? Is it a disaster? No, is it what you would like to think? No. If nothing else understand the under employed for starters, then go to the grocery store; make a list of prices today and then, go next month and price the same items. Salaries are not even beginning to keep up with cost o living, medical costs are skyrocketing, gas prices, though down are higher than 6 years ago, interest rates are going up, etc. Tell us, how good is the economy and how long has it taken, compared to other recessions to recover? The only truly good thing for those of us who have had a chance to invest a few $$s the stock market it up from 6 years ago.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Good news: credit to President Obama

The fact is, that if the House were run by Democrats, the unemployment numbers would be EVEN BETTER. The economy would be doing EVEN BETTER. The country would be doing EVEN BETTER. In fact, every domestic category would be doing EVEN BETTER. Republicans are a drag on the country, no question.

The economy is good, far better than if a Republican were running things. Romney wrong as usual, which is why he's on the sidelines dealing with the runs from those sour grapes, while Republicans continue to have egg on their faces when the good news keeps coming out.

Kudos to President Obama and his fine administration. He will hand over to Hillary, a country in a far, far better state than when he took office.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:24 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Skills.
It's all about skill levels that are used in the new technologies that are sprouting up everywhere rapidly.

More education is needed for adults just as much as the kids. The children are going to need to know the foundational education for these technologies, and the adults need massive training right now to learn how to use the technology.

Education all over this country has been cut to the bone over the past decade. Until we realize teachers are valuable professionals who are supremely important to this country's economic future, we are going to watch other nations stand on our shoulders and reach what we can not.

We must respect the people who will prepare us, young and old alike, for these challenges, and pay them well enough to keep them in the classroom instead of deserting education and going to our industries, where they are being more respected and better paid.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Skills.
It's all about skill levels that are used in the new technologies that are sprouting up everywhere rapidly.

More education is needed for adults just as much as the kids. The children are going to need to know the foundational education for these technologies, and the adults need massive training right now to learn how to use the technology.

Education all over this country has been cut to the bone over the past decade. Until we realize teachers are valuable professionals who are supremely important to this country's economic future, we are going to watch other nations stand on our shoulders and reach what we can not.

We must respect the people who will prepare us, young and old alike, for these challenges, and pay them well enough to keep them in the classroom instead of deserting education and going to our industries, where they are being more respected and better paid.
We can talk about educating our young, but often we forget the number of jobs that do not require a lot of education: the tech jobs, plumbing, repair people of all kinds, electricians, heating and a/c repair and installers. More than advanced education, we have to find a way to keep our inner city kids in school period and help them prepare for their future.

There is so much talk about jobs being moved over seas, this is a problem, but remember, our number of young people, entering the work force is not what it was during the baby boomer era. Jobs are there, we just have to train our people, regardless whether we are talking engineers, doctors or service people.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are very patrician are you? of course the unemployment rate is good news, but really, look at the whole picture? Is it a disaster? No, is it what you would like to think? No. If nothing else understand the under employed for starters, then go to the grocery store; make a list of prices today and then, go next month and price the same items. Salaries are not even beginning to keep up with cost o living, medical costs are skyrocketing, gas prices, though down are higher than 6 years ago, interest rates are going up, etc. Tell us, how good is the economy and how long has it taken, compared to other recessions to recover? The only truly good thing for those of us who have had a chance to invest a few $$s the stock market it up from 6 years ago.
For my own reasons, for tracking grocery spending, I keep all grocery receipts, and I can easily compare last years spending on items (or even the year before) with current prices. There is no question that grocery prices are skyrocketing.

A couple of years ago, we could buy whole boneless pork loin for $1.39/lb. (and that was not a sale price). Today, we're lucky to find it on sale for $1.99/lb.

Milk has gone up substantially, and butter is over $4.00/lb (close to $5.00). We used to pay $2.50/lb just a year ago. If I'm lucky, I can find it for $3.50/lb. on sale.

Beef is not even something we buy anymore, except for ground chuck. It has also become ridiculous, but you have to have it (hamburgers, tacos, spaghetti, meat loaf). Sometimes we'll buy a chuck roast if it's at a good price on sale.

Chicken has remained fairly stable.

Most produce is up as well. However, I can usually find a 10# sack of potatoes for $5.

The real unemployment figure isn't what the administration says it is either. They calculate it differently than they did a few years ago to give them the advantage of showing a lower figure. The reality is that it is around 14%. This is because they do not count those not working who have "given up" looking, and have therefore dropped out of sight. But those people still want and need jobs. I have read that over 50% of the work force is unemployed. That is not a good record for the Democrats.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:15 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
For my own reasons, for tracking grocery spending, I keep all grocery receipts, and I can easily compare last years spending on items (or even the year before) with current prices. There is no question that grocery prices are skyrocketing.

A couple of years ago, we could buy whole boneless pork loin for $1.39/lb. (and that was not a sale price). Today, we're lucky to find it on sale for $1.99/lb.

Milk has gone up substantially, and butter is over $4.00/lb (close to $5.00). We used to pay $2.50/lb just a year ago. If I'm lucky, I can find it for $3.50/lb. on sale.

Beef is not even something we buy anymore, except for ground chuck. It has also become ridiculous, but you have to have it (hamburgers, tacos, spaghetti, meat loaf). Sometimes we'll buy a chuck roast if it's at a good price on sale.

Most produce is up as well. However, I can usually find a 10# sack of potatoes for $5.

The real unemployment figure isn't what the administration says it is either. They calculate it differently than they did a few years ago to give them the advantage of showing a lower figure. The reality is that it is around 14%. This is because they do not count those not working who have "given up" looking, and have therefore dropped out of sight. But those people still want and need jobs. I have read that over 50% of the work force is unemployed. That is not a good record for the Democrats.
Food prices don't have very much to do with our unemployment problems other than add to the costs of daily living. But those costs apply to everyone equally, whether unemployed or not. As an industry, agriculture now employs even fewer than in the recent past, and it's never more than 3% of the economy in the numbers of those employed in it.

The rising costs of food is also beyond the powers of regulation to some extent, as no one can control the forces of nature.
Beef prices are a direct result of the serious lingering drought that has plagued the southwest for almost a decade now; all the states hit hardest by the drought are big cattle producers, and those herds were sold off due to lack of water and the feed water creates.

Unlike major sell-offs in the past, beef prices were good enough and steady enough that cattle growers in less droughty states bought many of the cattle, so there was never a big price dip from over-supply vs. demand. The distress sales simply didn't drive the prices down as they usually do.

The prices for beef have now fallen from where they were on the wholesale level, but at the retail end, the prices have risen due to the increasing costs of energy. it now costs more to process the beef (and all meats) than before, and costs the grocery owners more to operate their stores. And, for sure, there is some gouging going on as a hedge as well.

Produce prices are feeling the same effects. While the drought is now lighter this year in some of the driest ag areas, there has been too much rain in some, which is just as bad as not enough moisture.

Farmers are also feeling the same energy pinch as their retailers as well.

For over 50 years, the U.S. food bill has been exceptionally low compared to the rest of the world. It still remains very low, but is definitely rising and will continue to rise, as for most of those 50 years, there were major world markets that the United States never was a major contributor. Those markets now exist, and many have greater profit margins than selling the crops domestically.

The ag industry can now juggle commodities between the domestic and foreign markets to keep it's bottom line up, and this trend is not going to reverse anytime soon.

No one likes this situation at all, even the farmers and ranchers, as their risks escalate along with the rising prices, but everyone eats. There are now more mouths to feed all over the world, so the costs of commercially grown food aren't ever going to go down drastically.

The only thing anyone can do to help cut the costs is to grow a garden and keep a chicken coop. Seeds are still the cheapest part of the food costs.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

we have even seen the price of chicken inflate to some degree, but not as bad as other things. You are right about the pork butt or shoulder. I did get it at Aldi's on sale a few weeks ago for $1.69, but it is rare to find it here, even on sale for less than $2.29 lb. Libs want to see the min wage increased. I understand that, but hey, how about our SS checks? We pay for food, just like everyone else and gas, wow would I love to see even a decent % increase in our checks, like many would like to see the increase in min. wage.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Food prices don't have very much to do with our unemployment problems other than add to the costs of daily living. But those costs apply to everyone equally, whether unemployed or not. As an industry, agriculture now employs even fewer than in the recent past, and it's never more than 3% of the economy in the numbers of those employed in it.

The rising costs of food is also beyond the powers of regulation to some extent, as no one can control the forces of nature.
Beef prices are a direct result of the serious lingering drought that has plagued the southwest for almost a decade now; all the states hit hardest by the drought are big cattle producers, and those herds were sold off due to lack of water and the feed water creates.

Unlike major sell-offs in the past, beef prices were good enough and steady enough that cattle growers in less droughty states bought many of the cattle, so there was never a big price dip from over-supply vs. demand. The distress sales simply didn't drive the prices down as they usually do.

The prices for beef have now fallen from where they were on the wholesale level, but at the retail end, the prices have risen due to the increasing costs of energy. it now costs more to process the beef (and all meats) than before, and costs the grocery owners more to operate their stores. And, for sure, there is some gouging going on as a hedge as well.

Produce prices are feeling the same effects. While the drought is now lighter this year in some of the driest ag areas, there has been too much rain in some, which is just as bad as not enough moisture.

Farmers are also feeling the same energy pinch as their retailers as well.

For over 50 years, the U.S. food bill has been exceptionally low compared to the rest of the world. It still remains very low, but is definitely rising and will continue to rise, as for most of those 50 years, there were major world markets that the United States never was a major contributor. Those markets now exist, and many have greater profit margins than selling the crops domestically.

The ag industry can now juggle commodities between the domestic and foreign markets to keep it's bottom line up, and this trend is not going to reverse anytime soon.

No one likes this situation at all, even the farmers and ranchers, as their risks escalate along with the rising prices, but everyone eats. There are now more mouths to feed all over the world, so the costs of commercially grown food aren't ever going to go down drastically.

The only thing anyone can do to help cut the costs is to grow a garden and keep a chicken coop. Seeds are still the cheapest part of the food costs.
Much of what you are saying is true, but the bottom line, there is more to the economy than just a bunch of charts trying to convince us how good things are. They are not. I think the most positive thing right now might to the stock market. yes, we have had a couple of bad days, but most of us can say, we have made a few bucks these past few years. And yes, some people have gotten jobs, but there are so many things that are not better.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Well we are into year closing on year 7 of Obama. Although the improvement is is much welcome it still fall short of GW Bush overall record.

Putting the Numbers into Perspective

President Bush’s overall record continues to look far better than President Obama’s to date. Over President Bush’s presidency, the private sector created a net 141,000 jobs (my last post reported 188,000, but it did not include January 2001 data). Surprisingly, this number includes the 3.78 million private sector jobs lost in 2008.
[CENTER]Change in Total Private Employment (in thousands), Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections