Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,776,352 times

Advertisements

These Bush vs. Clinton threads have me truly depressed. And the other folks I can think of seem phony.

Make your case for some new blood. No phonies please. Real people with some integrity, regardless of party. Bring 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times
I don't think you will get to many responses.....not because its not a good question...but because there are not many choices out there

dem side:
Clinton...probably their best choice
biden....too much baggage , and foot in mouth disease
reid/Pelosi...not a chance
eliz warren....too much of a kook to be a viable candidate

rep side
jeb bush....supposedly the smartest bush....
McCain/Romney.....shot their load already...
ryan/cruz....too controversial
mcconnel/boner ......not a chance in hell

so unless some flash in the pan new comer comes from the bleacher section (like obozo did)...and doesn't put his foot in his/her mouth....looks like the 16 ticket would be bush-v-Clinton

I would have liked back in 08...a Hillary-v- condi rice matchup....that would have been interesting

Old 11-01-2014, 11:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I don't think you will get to many responses.....not because its not a good question...but because there are not many choices out there
Sadly I agree. Nobody on this list rocks my world or inspires me, but there are some GOP figures I like.

I just assume Hillary will be the Democrat candidate. I'm sure the progressives in the party would like Elizabeth Warren, but she is seriously lacking a warmth factor and I suspect she would lose in a landslide.

What the GOP needs is a Reganesque figure to inspire the party, and they don't have one. I personally like Chris Christie, but he's too combative for most voters and too liberal for conservatives. US Senator Rand Paul is too libertarian for mainstream Republicans and Marco Rubio is just too young. I like Congressman Paul Ryan but thought his VP debate with Biden was a major flop and I wasn't blown away by him on the national campaign trail...and any good PAC attack group will have a field day torturing seniors with ads about Ryan. Same with Mike Huckabee who has a video trail courtesy of Fox that will be used to smear him.

Number one choice would be Romney...I think he would be just the guy to fix this excruciating economy.

I like Scott Walker a lot. He's well-spoken and a strong and effective governor of Wisconsin. Democrats in Wisconsin have desperately tried to convict him of anything and everything but nothing has stuck because it's all bogus bs...but's it's the kind of stuff that will appear in attack ads with dramatic voice-overs.

I can't take Rick Perry or Peter King seriously and I really can't take Santorum.

Ben Carson is a nice guy, but president?

Bobby Jindal is a lightweight.

Former UN Ambassador John Bolton would make a great Secretary of State, but don't give him executive powers.

US Senator Ted Cruz...I'd prefer to see him take over from Antonin Scalia, and he'd be blown out of the water by Hillary anyway.

Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee)...friends have good things to say about her and would love to see a Blackburn/Condi Rice ticket. I'd prefer the other way around as I deeply admire Rice.

Whoops, quick edit here. I forgot Jeb Bush, which says something about his appeal as a candidate.

Last edited by Dockside; 11-01-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 12:34 PM

I like Brian Schweitzer, from what I have seen (not that much). He seems genuine, if a bit loose lipped.

I also like Joe Biden. He sometimes sticks his foot in his mouth, but he seems genuinely intelligent and experienced. And he can connect with people. Those teeth do look a little too good to be true though!
Might be a little too old though.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM

601 posts, read 460,959 times
The 2016 Senate race should be quite interesting as well. There are several Republicans up for reelection who also may throw their hat in the race for the white house. State by state laws vary, but most will probably have to choose one or the other. The potential red wave this year could turn into a blue tidal wave in 2016 when the Dems keep the white house.
United States Senate elections, 2016 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debbie Wasserman-Schulz for Senate btw...

Last edited by shotcall; 11-01-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
These Bush vs. Clinton threads have me truly depressed. And the other folks I can think of seem phony.

Make your case for some new blood. No phonies please. Real people with some integrity, regardless of party. Bring 'em!
Ron Paul / Ted Cruz.....

Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM

17,456 posts, read 9,290,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ron Paul / Ted Cruz.....
How can this country EVER move forward when there remains a substantial number of people that are no better than the Obama Cultists?

For President in 2016 -

1 A man that is 80 years old and has been running for President since 1988 with nothing but Failure - CHECK
2. A man who spent 25+ years in Congress, filed 620 Bills - only ONE made it into Law. - CHECK
3. A man who out of 620 Bills - claim to fame is ONLY a Law for a Historical Preservation Organization - CHECK

YEP ...... this man is the Perfect Candidate for President. As for Ted Cruz (a man I voted for and campaigned for) - He is using the Obama Playbook, instead of his considerable Talent & Brains.
His position appears to be -- If it works for King Obama, then I guess it's the only way to win an election. Play to the lowest common denominator instead of USE the Constitution and Congressional Powers to stop this nonsense. I'm not (and have never been) a fan of these Pop Culture Messianic Politicians -- BUT, it does appear to be the pathway to the Oval Office.

I look for results - not fiery "hopey-changey" speeches that bring crowds to their feet. I want some Leadership that has a PROVEN record. I want to see Top Notch Advisors and at least a working understanding of World Issues. How can anyone be the "Leader of the Free World" when they are Totally Clueless about World Affairs and Basic Economy?

I don't want a Rock Star or American Idol for President - I want Experience and PROVEN Results. People who know how to both work with others, get the job done - AND to identify the problems to correct.

We have these people - nobody cares. They are not "Rock Stars" OR they have already be 'defined' by the Opposition and won't be considered. Game, Set, Match

Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,970,546 times
Romney may be a retread but he's still the best qualified Presidential candidate in U.S. history.

I would take Scott Walker too, assuming he wins reelection.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,556,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

I think you are going to be waiting a long, long time.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Romney may be a retread but he's still the best qualified Presidential candidate in U.S. history.

I would take Scott Walker too, assuming he wins reelection.

I don't consider Romney a retread. If he has the mojo to try again, he should. He should pitch Lying Ryan and try to mount a more authentic campaign. He is center right, but he was playing far right, and convinced no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections