Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't consider Romney a retread. If he has the mojo to try again, he should. He should pitch Lying Ryan and try to mount a more authentic campaign. He is center right, but he was playing far right, and convinced no one.
I thought that Paul Ryan was a Brilliant pick for Romney, and here's why -
1. The VP needs to have a good relationship with the Prez (check) & it's a plus if they don't think alike.
2. I don't think there is anyone is the Congress that understands the Budget & where the money goes, OR how it get's there as well as Paul Ryan. He also knows how the Legislative process works (something that Obama totally lacks), and knows how to deal when necessary. Ryan is a reformer - none of that means we have to accept his 'reforms', but at least he is willing to 'change' things.
3. He is respected on both sides of the aisle, has an Economic background - which means he can better interpret the Budget/Money reports and will probably give decent advise.

Joe Biden might have Obamas trust, but I doubt he is in the Inner circle - plus Biden has long held positions on Foreign Policy and doesn't have any forward thinking. He ends up being a Gaffe machine and a Rabble Rouser ... his failures on Foreign Policy are legion.

A big part of the problems in our Government are the Careerists - the HUGE Bureaucracy that actually controls everything. These people are corrupt (at least many in leadership) and nobody has figured out how to get rid of them .... Ryan might have a shot at that and it's a sure bet that Romney would want to "clean house".

I don't think he will run .... BUT, Romney was what this country needed. It wasn't the Democrats that defeated Romney - it was the Republicans (didn't pass a litmus test), the "my vote doesn't count" folks and the "I want RON PAUL whiners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
At this point, the Democrats most likely nominee is Elizabeth Warren. The Democrats don't want anybody serious, they just want somebody who can carry the Party Line and as a University Professor she invented the Democrat Party Line. Within the Democrat Party she already has Hillary running scared. Otherwise, the Democrats usually pick somebody who can run on their Good Looks, just so long as they'll carry the Party Line once they reach the Oval Office.

The Republicans pick somebody with experience (ran before and lost), which is one reason the Republican Canndidate nearly always serves two terms. That narrows their field down to just two candidates: Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. Others may run, but it will boil down to those two.

Personally, I don't give Elizabeth Warren the chance of a snow flake in a furnace. So either Rick Perry or Mitt Romney will be President from 2017 to 2025.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
So either Rick Perry or Mitt Romney will be President from 2017 to 2025.
I don't think either have a chance.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:30 AM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
All the dirt that can be dug up about them has been dug up, so there are no more surprises. Now they can concentrate on their successes. Both have been successful governors. Mitt Romney has been a successful businessman who has taken companies that were failing and turned them into winners. Rick Perry served in the Air Force and has a winning personality we haven't seen since Reagan. Either one could steamroll a Democrat Nominee. The GOP has several other good future candidates, but these need to make that first shakedown run so that their flaws may be exposed and they can have 4-8 years to correct them and learn how to answer questions about them and the public can forget about them. That way when they run the second time they won't be caught by surprise and can concentrate on policy.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
They don't have a chance to get your vote, but most voters aren't far left extremists.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:53 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I thought that Paul Ryan was a Brilliant pick for Romney, and here's why -
1. The VP needs to have a good relationship with the Prez (check) & it's a plus if they don't think alike.
2. I don't think there is anyone is the Congress that understands the Budget & where the money goes, OR how it get's there as well as Paul Ryan. He also knows how the Legislative process works (something that Obama totally lacks), and knows how to deal when necessary. Ryan is a reformer - none of that means we have to accept his 'reforms', but at least he is willing to 'change' things.
3. He is respected on both sides of the aisle, has an Economic background - which means he can better interpret the Budget/Money reports and will probably give decent advise.
But if Ryan couldn't carry Wisconsin, and Romney could not carry Massachusetts, the state he governed or Michigan, the state from which he came, that is an indication they were a fairly weak ticket. The other items are irrelevant if they cannot get elected.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
The 2016 Senate race should be quite interesting as well. There are several Republicans up for reelection who also may throw their hat in the race for the white house. State by state laws vary, but most will probably have to choose one or the other. The potential red wave this year could turn into a blue tidal wave in 2016 when the Dems keep the white house.
United States Senate elections, 2016 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debbie Wasserman-Schulz for Senate btw...
she is downright scary. I can't in a million years see her going any further than she has, but I don't live in Florida, I can only judge from what my kids, who own businesses in Florida have to say about the situations.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Not because I happen to be a Republican, but I just don't see anyone but Clinton is the picture and I think she is going to have her hands fuller than many think. The only other candidate I can see right now that might be able to pull off the nomination would be Warren. I wish I could think of someone that would be a good candidate.

As for the GOP side, please no Bush. Jeb might have been the best of all the Bush's but it is just too late for him.

My picks:Rand paul: he is refreshing, though I do not always agree with him. He certainly would pick up the votes of many younger voters.

Rubio: don't count him out. He has shown he can compromise, has a message and is at the best time of his life to run.

Perry, but I am not sure he isn't a little to socially conservative plus we all know his speaking ability isn't the best. He is still refreshing and not a retread.

Christie: I keep flipping on him: just when I think I could be really excited about his running I change my mind and visa versa.

Cruz is way to much for me and Huckabee who know one has mentioned but seems to indicate he may run: well God love him, he is funny, has some good ideas but on social issues, regardless or how I might feel or he might, we have to get real. We are living in the 21st century, we can't turn the clock back.

I think the biggest challenge facing the Democrats; they don't really have any choices, no new young faces on stage. The challenge facing the Republican is too many possible stars and they could kill each off during the primary season, opening the door for a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections