Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:47 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,082,116 times

Advertisements

Congratulations Mia...

Mia Love wins race for Utah’s 4th Congressional District | fox13now.com

Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Don't forget about Tim Scott in SC.

The first black senator elected in the south since reconstruction! (he's a republican!)

Did they campaign as white people?

Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 9,041,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post

Very gratifying that a Republican African-American woman was elected.

It does, of course, refute the baseless accusations that Republicans in general have a 'war on women' and are racist (oddly, it seems that many threads herein concern the allegation that it is the Democrats are engaging in a war on women, and are racist to boot; I guess wars engulf everyone to some degree).

Of course, the current House of Representatives has 43 African-Americans. Alas, they are all Democrat.

African Americans in the 113th Congress | Infoplease.com

One would think it odd that the current House does not have any African-American Republicans, given the percentage of African-Americans in the USA. However, like you say, the election of Ms. Love makes it abundantly clear that the Republican party welcomes all.

Indeed, no doubt for years you will look back at the 114th United States Congress and proclaim: "This was our finest hour".

Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,066,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't forget about Tim Scott in SC.

The first black senator elected in the south since reconstruction! (he's a republican!)
And Will Hurd in Texas.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM

893 posts, read 887,850 times
Funny that it took a republican to get the first black female elected, the first black in SC, the first female in Iowa and several others across the country.

Hopefully this lie of #waronwomen and that non democrats are racist. Low info people will still be duped

Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 AM

22,217 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Funny that it took a republican to get the first black female elected, the first black in SC, the first female in Iowa and several others across the country.

Hopefully this lie of #waronwomen and that non democrats are racist. Low info people will still be duped

She wasn't the first black female elected to Congress. She was the first Republican black female elected to Congress. Considering it was an open seat, how Republican the district is and how strong of a GOP night it was, I was surprised she won by just 3 points.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
And Will Hurd in Texas.

I get so tired of hearing all the "unwelcome" and "racist crap" about the Republicans!!

Hurd beat out Pete Gallego, a Hispanic hometown boy (Brewster County/Alpine) who was also a lockstep B. Hussein Obama supporter. That--despite the fact that this HUGE (land-wise) district includes my hometown (about 65% Hispanic), Brewster (about 50% Hispanic) and parts of San Antonio and El Paso, both overwhelmingly Hispanic.

Looks like people finally woke up, at least district-wide. Don't have the tri-county-wide election results available to me yet, but will later.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 11-05-2014 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,183,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Very gratifying that a Republican African-American woman was elected.

It does, of course, refute the baseless accusations that Republicans in general have a 'war on women' and are racist (oddly, it seems that many threads herein concern the allegation that it is the Democrats are engaging in a war on women, and are racist to boot; I guess wars engulf everyone to some degree).

Of course, the current House of Representatives has 43 African-Americans. Alas, they are all Democrat.

African Americans in the 113th Congress | Infoplease.com

One would think it odd that the current House does not have any African-American Republicans, given the percentage of African-Americans in the USA. However, like you say, the election of Ms. Love makes it abundantly clear that the Republican party welcomes all.

Indeed, no doubt for years you will look back at the 114th United States Congress and proclaim: "This was our finest hour".

Mia Love is NOT an African. Her family is from Haiti and that is nowhere near the continent of Africa.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Mia Love is NOT an African. Her family is from Haiti and that is nowhere near the continent of Africa.
How do you know she doesn't have African roots? Is she indigenous native Hatian? Does NOT appear to be.

As of 2013, people of African descent are the majority ethnic group in Haiti, accounting for 95% of the country's population. About 5% of the country is of mixed heritage or mulatto, having partial African and European ancestry.

Afro-Haitian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless......congratulations to Mia Love!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,066,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
And Will Hurd in Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I get so tired of hearing all the "unwelcome" and "racist crap" about the Republicans!!

Hurd beat out Pete Gallego, a Hispanic hometown boy (Brewster County/Alpine) who was also a lockstep B. Hussein Obama supporter. That--despite the fact that this HUGE (land-wise) district includes my hometown (about 65% Hispanic), Brewster (about 50% Hispanic) and parts of San Antonio and El Paso, both overwhelmingly Hispanic.

Looks like people finally woke up, at least district-wide. Don't have the tri-county-wide election results available to me yet, but will later.

Wow. Congrats!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections