Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hillary Clinton will get 70% of women (maybe more. Women correctly believe that most of the problems in this country are because men are running it) and Hispanics and 95% of blacks. There is no way the Republicans can beat her. She may even bring the House along with her. She may not even have primary opposition, so she can define herself right up the middle of the electorate. This could be the largest landslide in US history.
Good Lord, what a ridiculous statement. And I say that as a woman.

There are actual grown-up women in this country who recognize that women can be just as power hungry, just as partisan, just as inept, just as corrupt as men.

Look......we have real problems in this country and there are real problems internationally that can adversely impact us. I have no desire to "make history". No desire to choose a person simply because of her gender. No desire to fall into the trap of accepting sweeping generalizations about the "problems of the country being because of men". FIND me a candidate who I can truly believe in, who will lead us forward, who has some kind of dignity and moral compass, who can articulate ways that he or she will solve the pressing problems we face, and I will vote for that person regardless of gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

what the gop does with that opportunity is up to them. They had better respect the gift that they were handed. if they cannot get their act together, come up with a plan (that is easy to understand and that is convincing to the country), and if they do not reach out (without sucking up) to all americans they'll lose it all again in 2016.

Messaging and a message will make or break them.
^^^^^

this!!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I just think the GOP will prove once again that the only game they have is "Hate-Mongering".
I know, they really need to stop with that hate-mongering that the other side has a "war on women", is racist, hates gays, hates the poor, etc. etc.
Oh wait...

Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I know, they really need to stop with that hate-mongering that the other side has a "war on women", is racist, hates gays, hates the poor, etc. etc.
Oh wait...
Right, meanwhile several prominent GOP women and African-Americans, including a Senator from South Carolina, were elected. The first black Senator from the south since reconstruction, I've read.

Last edited by MUTGR; 11-06-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
It's called political science. We can predict how certain groups are likely to vote with quite a bit of accuracy. Clinton, particularly if she has no primary opposition of significance, will be able to go right up the middle of American politics appealing to the moderate majority. Women will take a huge amount of satisfaction in voting for the first woman president in history as did blacks with Obama. She is a transformational candidate as was Obama, but she knows her stuff too, is strongly connected politically, and above all, qualified. The question will not be whether she wins, but if she can get the House back too.
As a member of both demographics, allow me to share a little secret with you, women do not feel as compelled to vote for a female candidate as blacks do to vote for a black candidate. Matter of fact, some women will specifically not vote for a female candidate. Plus, if Hillary is the candidate, you need to expect someone like Suzanne Martinez or Condeluza Rice as the GOP VP candidate.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Good Lord, what a ridiculous statement. And I say that as a woman.

There are actual grown-up women in this country who recognize that women can be just as power hungry, just as partisan, just as inept, just as corrupt as men.

Look......we have real problems in this country and there are real problems internationally that can adversely impact us. I have no desire to "make history". No desire to choose a person simply because of her gender. No desire to fall into the trap of accepting sweeping generalizations about the "problems of the country being because of men". FIND me a candidate who I can truly believe in, who will lead us forward, who has some kind of dignity and moral compass, who can articulate ways that he or she will solve the pressing problems we face, and I will vote for that person regardless of gender.
I think our partisan dem friends are missing the boat. They've convinced themselves that they have permanent majority going forward based solely on our country's changing demographics. I think what if anything this election told us is whichever party is in charge you have to deliver efficient and effective results and demonstrate common sense leadership. That applies to the GOP as well - so I agree with you they need to prove their worth the next 2 years.

I think the dems ploy of dividing our country along racial/gender/class lines is losing its appeal to voters. Even if the democrats' core constituencies didn't flip GOP, they weren't motivated enough to vote.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Hillary Clinton will get 70% of women (maybe more. Women correctly believe that most of the problems in this country are because men are running it) and Hispanics and 95% of blacks. There is no way the Republicans can beat her. She may even bring the House along with her. She may not even have primary opposition, so she can define herself right up the middle of the electorate. This could be the largest landslide in US history.
Oh yea. Because the candidates that she stumped for all won. Oh wait.....

Hillary may run, because she has spent her whole life waiting for that moment. But she will NEVER be president. There aren't many voters (and certainly not 70% of women) that will vote for an old woman, with brain issues, and a habit of lying whenever her mouth opens.

There are plenty of qualified women out there that are better candidates. They all happen to be conservative. That dilemma will make liberals heads explode come 2016.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Oh wait...

And the media needs to expose what lying hypocrites the Republicans are pretending they are evangelical Christians who favor family values and are against the homosexual AGENDA!

The Log Cabin Republicans (LCR) is an organization that works within the Republican Party to advocate equal rights for gays and lesbians in the United States.

Log Cabin Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-06-2014 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:31 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
It's called political science. We can predict how certain groups are likely to vote with quite a bit of accuracy. Clinton, particularly if she has no primary opposition of significance, will be able to go right up the middle of American politics appealing to the moderate majority. Women will take a huge amount of satisfaction in voting for the first woman president in history as did blacks with Obama. She is a transformational candidate as was Obama, but she knows her stuff too, is strongly connected politically, and above all, qualified. The question will not be whether she wins, but if she can get the House back too.
That statement right there proves that liberals should be banned from voting. Voting based on race or gender is what got this country in the mess that it is in.

"Above all, qualified". Thank you for THAT laugh.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That statement right there proves that liberals should be banned from voting. Voting based on race or gender is what got this country in the mess that it is in.

"Above all, qualified". Thank you for THAT laugh.
Exactly. This article below essentially says what I was - this election shows voters moving away from those standard old themes dems now rely on:

The 'War on Women' Fails, and That's a Very Bad Sign for Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections