Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Brown in California has done a great job of turning the fortunes of that unfortunate state. Minnesota leads the nation in many areas recovering from the recession. I don't know who their governor is. Perry in Texas managed to talk like a wingnut while acting like a moderate and keeping the wingnuts in his state from creating controversy that would slow their economic engine. He might be able to do that in the R primaries and as president, too. Now that he is gone, Texas is making a fool of itself again. Here in 'Zona many of us are doing the unthinkable - wishing we still had Jan Brewer and her willingness to put the good of the state above political ideology though I don't think she is presidential material.
I agree about Minnesota's governor. That state currently has a $1 Billion (yes, billion) budget surplus.
His name is Mark Dayton, BTW, and I have to say, I agree with all of the priorities he laid out here:

Children and Families Top Governor Dayton’s Budget Priorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 AM

752 posts, read 566,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"I agree about Minnesota's governor. That state currently has a $1 Billion (yes, billion) budget surplus."
You're mistaken. The surplus was $1 billion in December. It's now $1.87 billion.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I was thinking Chris Christie's problem is the rest of the country doesn't want to be like NJ and all of its problems (for example, raise your hand if you want to be taxed like the people in NJ). You look at NJ and go, UGH! I'd like to think that's a bigger problem than a bridge incident or a pushy demeanor because it would touch everyone.

I actually read yesterday that someone praised Baltimore (I was gone before he became governor) while O'Malley was mayor there. Are you kidding me? Moon craters weren't as small as Baltimore's potholes and there's a reason why HOMICIDE: Life on The Streets was a realistic TV show. I actually got in a cab there once and had the driver warn me where not to go and to hide my then camera and where he would only go to pick me up and the cab driver wasn't a racist because he was black, himself. He was just scared.

If Jerry Brown was actually running (I'd say the same about Arnold), I'd ask the question, "Do I want the country to look like California?" but since he isn't running, no comment.
That's a good point and I remember reading the original Homicide book maybe 25 years ago. The book was actually non-fiction. Baltimore also sounds a lot like the South Side of Chicago where I used to live, and of course where our current POTUS lived.

Maybe we should have elected a president from someplace with quiet suburbs, well-paved streets that can be walked after dark without needing a Glock 17 and 3 spare magazines. Maybe like Utah.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
You're mistaken. The surplus was $1 billion in December. It's now $1.87 billion.
Well, excuuuuuse me.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Wasn't there some talk of Dayton 2016? Dems need to find some alternatives to Hillary. It is still a real possibility that she decides not to run because of health. Plus I don't think it is desirable to have zero primary fight unless it's an incumbent. In 2012 Obama badly lost his debate in Denver, partly because while Romney had been through months of primary debates, Obama hadn't debated since 2008. You want your campaign tactics and ideas to be tried and tested in primaries.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
"Wasn't there some talk of Dayton 2016?"
Hahahahaha!!! Not only is he thoroughly uninterested, but Mark Dayton is one of the worst politicians I've ever seen. He's a melancholy mush-mouth -- some have likened him to Eeyore. However, I get the sense that his personal struggles (not financial, mind you -- loneliness, depression, alcoholism, anxiety) have instilled in him a deep well of empathy (like FDR and polio, I suppose) and a total disregard for political sophistry. In the midst of one of the worst electoral drubbings the Democratic Party suffered in decades (2010 trumps even 2014; not sure about 1994), Dayton made raising taxes on the wealthy his signature issue -- and won. A slim margin, mind you, but can you imagine a more craven and ambitious man doing anything of the like? All the while tripping over the marbles in his mouth. So yeah, Mark Dayton is a great governor, but 1600 Pennsylvania is not a place he'll ever reside. Amy Klobuchar, on the other hand (assuming she never dons a black robe) ...

Last edited by drishmael; 03-11-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree about Minnesota's governor. That state currently has a $1 Billion (yes, billion) budget surplus.
His name is Mark Dayton, BTW, and I have to say, I agree with all of the priorities he laid out here:

Children and Families Top Governor Dayton’s Budget Priorities
Mark Dayton also has experience serving in he US Senate before being Governor so he knows from personal experience what it takes to get a fair hearing in the Congress. He also is part owner of the Dayton-Hudson-Target retailing Company and served as an executive there. If you've been to the Miniapple Dayton's is the Flagship Department store there (Like Nordstrom's is in Seattle or Macy's is in New York).

Another poster complained out Dayton's mushy mouth low voltage style and sounding like Eeyore. He should watch the movie Fargo by the Coen Bros. It gives a good view of what is called " Minnesota Nice" and the Minnesota upper Midwest accent once you get far enough away from Chicago . The Coen Bros. grew up in Minnesota just like a Second City alum Al Franken (two term Senator (D-MN) Al Franken).

Last edited by mwruckman; 03-11-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
"Another poster complained out Dayton's mushy mouth low voltage style and sounding like Eeyore. He should watch the movie Fargo by the Coen Bros. It gives a good view of what is called " Minnesota Nice" and the Minnesota upper Midwest accent once you get far enough away from Chicago . The Coen Bros. grew up in Minnesota just like a Second City alum Al Franken (two term Senator (D-MN) Al Franken)."
Nah, it's DFL-MN. And have ya ever heard of Garrison Keillor? Also, I'd like to hear some Lena & Ole jokes -- this anthropological excursion into my homestate is mighty interesting ... You say they fish on ice up there!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections