Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 05:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
At age 51 I have long since learned that degree attainment does not equal level of intelligence or education. And yes, I do believe those requirements should be eliminated for the subordinate positions listed above. Usually HR makes those requirements just to keep the applicant pool down and make their job easier. At this point I would prefer someone without a degree as President.
The dumbing down of America! No longer is discipline and perseverance, which are required to finish a college degree, considered an asset. Uneducated and unmotivated people want someone they can relate to instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
And there you go, someone who advocates a system wherein someone is automatically smart because of the piece of paper even when their job performance, intelligence and aptitude have long since indicated otherwise. Makes me think of a world where you can only get a good job because the wizard gave you a generic diploma like the wizard of oz.

Strange how liberals are constantly complaining about the overwhelming rise of the 1%, the decline of the middle class and the decrease in standard of living of the 99% but fail to note that this has occurred during a period and ever increasing level of total education. You demand and defend to the hilt, what I found 30 years ago got is to this point in the first place. A higher education system that since about 1975, or even earlier in Ivy League institutions has been instead of a place to train you to be the best you can be, trains you to be a cog on corporate USA. And I think you know it, that's why you are so afraid of a mold breaking scenario.

We have seen how badly the US has been screwed over by the college educated, maybe it's time for a progressive, transformative change.

Is Walker automatically stupid for having only achieved a HS diploma? No, not any more that ANYONE is automatically smart because of their masters degree.

I know of a place of employment, a farm, where the down and out ranch hand with the "lowly" bachelors degree in engineering went when the economy collapsed. He learned poultry farming and adapted. Today, and I mean literallty today after he picked up the $400 in duck eggs from his small flock, while his boss with the Masters from William and Mary, who has been passed out drunk for most of the last week (an extreme left liberal BTW), woke up to complain how unfair it is that the ranch hands 350 ducks on 1 acre out produce his 1500 chickens in 12 acres "because he has more education". Why you liberal want to maintain this scenario "to make the US better" is very instructive to the rest of the populace.
FYI, much hard work, learning, discipline, personal sacrifice, perseverance, commitment, and motivation went into earning that "piece of paper."

Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
After seeing the mess that degreed idiots have made of our healthcare system....our military....our immigration.....our foreign policy and our safety, I'm willing to give some good old experience and common sense a try. Walker has that in spades. Also, some people tend to forget that equivalency of experience equals a degree.
I assume your doctor only has a high school degree because you don't want a degreed idiot for your medical care.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Why the hell do you care? Seriously, it would be one thing if you were claiming that Walker's not finishing school was evidence that he wasn't competent, but that's hardly the case. Walker could've easily graduated from university, but left early to pursue work. Regardless of whether one likes his politics, he has more than shown his competency during his years in elected office and the private sector. None issue here, but Democrats working to make it an issue will only come off as elitist and nasty.
Walker dropped out of college the second semester of his senior year with two more years of credits necessary to graduate. He wasted time and his parents' money going to almost four years of doing nothing constructive. He wasn't going to graduate and he knew that. Better he quit before his parents send out graduation invitations to their friends and family. Otherwise, who in their right mind would throw out four years of time and money to not graduate?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Really? So can it be any degree or should there be only certain degrees that qualify?

Lots and lots of educated idiots out there. Many officers in the Service with degrees are often times the least qualified to lead in real life situations.
Lot of kids out there with years of college experience that have the commonsense and ability of a tree.
Well, if someone is a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer - I'd say the degree is completely necessary.

But in general, and in Walker's case specifically, it is the person who is important, not the degree. I'm not a fan of his, and it isn't the lack of a degree that turns me off to him, but it is one factor in my underwhelm regarding Walker.

Lot of kids out there with *no college experience* that have the commonsense and ability of a tree, as well. They can only run the cash register because it has pictures on it...

Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, if someone is a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer - I'd say the degree is completely necessary.

But in general, and in Walker's case specifically, it is the person who is important, not the degree. I'm not a fan of his, and it isn't the lack of a degree that turns me off to him, but it is one factor in my underwhelm regarding Walker.

Lot of kids out there with *no college experience* that have the commonsense and ability of a tree, as well. They can only run the cash register because it has pictures on it...

I guess if that person is elected to office only to do the bidding for special interest groups that give the orders, no degree would be necessary.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A person can't get a job as secretary in the White House without a degree.

You need a degree to be a commissioned officer in the military.

You can't join the FBI, the CIA or virtually any federal position without a college degree.

Should we remove the college requirement from these positions so we don't have all federal employees with more education than the president? After all, he would be their boss.
I am not going to get into all the politics of this discussion. Instead I will point out a few obvious things. A couple of our worst leaders not only had/have degrees, but from top Ivy league colleges no less(think Bush & Obama for example).

I don't know enough about Scott Walker to give an informed opinion as to what type of a leader he would be, but the fact he is a governor is the best training/experience a person could have to be the POTUS. After all, it is executive experience we should be looking for.
This is because the POTUS is the ultimate executive, that governs the biggest economy, most powerful military, and is the leader of the free word.

Whether you are left or right leaning, think of the last two presidents you liked the most. If you are a (D) you like Bill Clinton, and if you are an (R), you liked Ronald Reagan. Both made Obama & Bush look like amateurs.
Both were successful governors, and went on to be good executives (whether you liked their politics or not). Being a governor helps you to realize it is not my way or the highway. Both Reagan & Clinton were pragmatic enough to realize you cannot have it all your own way, and were good enough leaders to get beyond the gridlock that plagues many an inexperienced person, hoping to be a successful POTUS.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Walker dropped out of college the second semester of his senior year with two more years of credits necessary to graduate. He wasted time and his parents' money going to almost four years of doing nothing constructive. He wasn't going to graduate and he knew that. Better he quit before his parents send out graduation invitations to their friends and family. Otherwise, who in their right mind would throw out four years of time and money to not graduate?
Right

Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right
Quite right! I remember some college students from my college days that also wasted time and money going to college barely passing. They also dropped out their senior year when the day of reckoning came. IMO, doing this demonstrates a lack of discipline, direction, fiscal responsibility, and ability to achieve goals.

Quote:
Walker enrolled at Marquette University in August 1986 and dropped out in May 1990, 34 credits short of the minimum required to graduate. He was studying political science, economics and philosophy.
Read more: Scott Walker's lack of a college degree could be a win-win, presidentially : Ct

Quote:
And herein resides my concern with Walker’s recurring talk of finishing college. He seems to keep saying that he is going to go back to school and finish because he seems to believe he should say that. He seems to be avoiding the responsibility that comes with owning his (not all that unusual) decision and moving on.
Scott Walker Needs to Cut the Talk About Finishing College - US News

Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 PM

Scott Walker's Plans For University Of Wisconsin Are Epically Stupid

Quote:
Gov. Scott Walker plans to cut $300M from the budget of the University of Wisconsin and, if he has his way, will alter its mission from a “search for truth” to “meeting the state’s workforce needs.” These steps are so fantastically at odds with what the business community, economy and state need from its public university system that no synonym for ‘stupid’ is too strong.
Quote:
In our research on the people needs of companies like these we have found consistently and decisively that workforce requirements lean toward problem solving, lateral thinking and intellectual agility rather than functional technical skills.
Quote:
The workforce in these companies is anything but an army of disciplined order takers. They are thinkers, dreamers, and problem solvers who play where the puck is headed, not where it is.
Scott Walker's Plans For University Of Wisconsin Are Epically Stupid - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections