Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,740,166 times

Advertisements

A person can't get a job as secretary in the White House without a degree.

You need a degree to be a commissioned officer in the military.

You can't join the FBI, the CIA or virtually any federal position without a college degree.

Should we remove the college requirement from these positions so we don't have all federal employees with more education than the president? After all, he would be their boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,672 times
Strangely enough, this is a positive for Walker. Elizabeth Warren being a professor works AGAINST her. Scott Walker not having a college degree helps him.

Only in America...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
His supporters? Obviously not.

Me? Yeah, I care.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Strangely enough, this is a positive for Walker. Elizabeth Warren being a professor works AGAINST her. Scott Walker not having a college degree helps him.

Only in America...
Well, it's no surprise that Scott Walker took $300 Million from Wisconsin universities. Clearly, for Republicans, education is a bad thing.

But I do wonder how that works when you are in a position of authority and everyone is looking at you with your high school education and questioning your intelligence. When other countries are chuckling at every foible and laughing because America elected a guy with nothing more than a high school diploma.

This isn't the era of George Washington. Starbucks baristas have a degree. I can imagine the running joke every time someone interviews for a federal position. The stock answer - "Hey, high school is all you need".

Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well, it's no surprise that Scott Walker took $300 Million from Wisconsin universities. Clearly, for Republicans, education is a bad thing.

But I do wonder how that works when you are in a position of authority and everyone is looking at you with your high school education and questioning your intelligence. When other countries are chuckling at every foible and laughing because America elected a guy with nothing more than a high school diploma.

This isn't the era of George Washington. Starbucks baristas have a degree. I can imagine the running joke every time someone interviews for a federal position. The stock answer - "Hey, high school is all you need".

Tell that to Bill Gates and Michael Dell. They did not finish college.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
True enough. Do Walker's supporters seriously think that he is on a par with Gates and Dell? Because I'm not seeing it.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Do you seriously think Scott Walker is Bill Gates? Or even Michael Dell? Seriously? Is that what you would tell federal employees? That Scott Walker is just like Bill Gates? A guy so smart that he quit Harvard to be the richest man in the world?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,307,999 times
>>>Do Scott Walker Supporters Care That He Has No College Degree?<<<

Nope.... the current occupant of the White House has a couple of college degrees and he has FiretrUCKED things up pretty well.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,416,115 times
At age 51 I have long since learned that degree attainment does not equal level of intelligence or education. And yes, I do believe those requirements should be eliminated for the subordinate positions listed above. Usually HR makes those requirements just to keep the applicant pool down and make their job easier. At this point I would prefer someone without a degree as President.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
At age 51 I have long since learned that degree attainment does not equal level of intelligence or education. And yes, I do believe those requirements should be eliminated for the subordinate positions listed above. Usually HR makes those requirements just to keep the applicant pool down and make their job easier. At this point I would prefer someone without a degree as President.
There you have it. Scott Walker will bring in the era of no college degree required for commissioned military officers, the CIA, the FBI all the way down to staff in the White House. The new bar will be, no one should have more education than high school because that's all the president has. Brilliant.

This makes me think of Out of Africa when the tribal chief said children could only go to school as long as they were shorter than he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections