Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times

Advertisements

"News that U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz would deliver a major speech at Liberty University on Monday set off a wave of speculation late Friday that the Texas Republican was preparing to take a step into the 2016 presidential race. Cruz's campaign would not confirm that but urged reporters to attend. Multiple sources close to Cruz said they were informed as recently as Thursday that the senator was just days away from making an announcement about his political future — either the formation of an exploratory committee or the launch of a full-blown campaign."

Ted Cruz Sets Off 2016 Buzz With Speech Announcement | The Texas Tribune

Ted Cruz to Make 'Important Speech' at Liberty University Monday

Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,843,531 times
Default Cruz to announce Preisdency bid on Monday

He is my sleeper. I don't think he'd win against Hillary, but if I were laying money I'd put a decent amount on him to win the GOP nomination.

Ted Cruz 'will announce bid for President on Monday': GOP challenger set to be first declared candidate for 2016 | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 AM

1,438 posts, read 781,312 times
He's announcing it at Liberty University, no hotbed of political and religious moderation. If he does win the nomination I don't see how he could ever win over independent swing voters.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,896,520 times
Default Good for Cruz and the Country!

Cruz is outspoken and politically incorrect. I like him!

PS: Thatisa good thing and I can wait he debates a Liberal! Guess who is for Dinner?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
He is my sleeper. I don't think he'd win against Hillary, but if I were laying money I'd put a decent amount on him to win the GOP nomination.

Ted Cruz 'will announce bid for President on Monday': GOP challenger set to be first declared candidate for 2016 | Daily Mail Online
That is pretty much my take on it too. Cruz brings all the hard core conservatism that is so important in Republican primaries along with intellectual ability - a quality that is sorely lacking in that faction of the party. He may just win the primary. He will struggle to raise money with Bush in the race. In any case, it sets the table for a bitter fight among the moderates and the extremists for the future direction of the party. It should get interesting unless he decides to act more mainstream than his rhetoric has been. I don't think he will. He has been a man of his principles if nothing else.

While I share little of his philosophy, I am rooting for him to win. It will be a Goldwater style trouncing in the general and may push the Republicans back to the center once again.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is pretty much my take on it too. Cruz brings all the hard core conservatism that is so important in Republican primaries along with intellectual ability - a quality that is sorely lacking in that faction of the party. He may just win the primary. He will struggle to raise money with Bush in the race. In any case, it sets the table for a bitter fight among the moderates and the extremists for the future direction of the party. It should get interesting unless he decides to act more mainstream than his rhetoric has been. I don't think he will. He has been a man of his principles if nothing else.

While I share little of his philosophy, I am rooting for him to win. It will be a Goldwater style trouncing in the general and may push the Republicans back to the center once again.
The sound of his voice is like nails on a chalkboard, both for the actual tenor and the message it conveys. That said, I'm rooting for him to win the nomination as well, as unlikely an event as that is. Conservatives have been insisting for years that they need a true Conservative on the ballot, and I think we should give them one. They will see how few Americans actually share the views of the far right Tea Party types, and the shellacking Cruz would take in the general election would put that faction in its proper place and with the appropriate proportion of influence (which should be minuscule instead of virtually being in control, as they are now) within the party once and for all. The country, and the world, will be better for it.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,930,126 times
I just hope the "birther" crowd don't try to raise a stink on this since Mr Cruz is a Canadian but with a US citizen mother. Kinda like George Romney; Mitt's dad, back in 1968. George was a Mexican with US citizen parents tho they were "resident aliens" IN Mexico at the time.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I just hope the "birther" crowd don't try to raise a stink on this since Mr Cruz is a Canadian but with a US citizen mother. Kinda like George Romney; Mitt's dad, back in 1968. George was a Mexican with US citizen parents tho they were "resident aliens" IN Mexico at the time.
The birther crowd already is raising a stink about Cruz's eligibility and they aren't going to stop. If they admit Cruz is eligible they would have to also admit Obama is a legitimate president, and for birthers that is a bridge too far. I would enjoy watching the right get caught in their own birther net. That would be icing on the cake of a crushing Cruz defeat.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:05 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The birther crowd already is raising a stink about Cruz's eligibility and they aren't going to stop. If they admit Cruz is eligible they would have to also admit Obama is a legitimate president, and for birthers that is a bridge too far. I would enjoy watching the right get caught in their own birther net. That would be icing on the cake of a crushing Cruz defeat.
Somehow I think the birthers will be more subdued with Cruz.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM

1,733 posts, read 950,973 times
If he continues to stand by the Constitution and remain firm in his beliefs, he's got my vote. I am not as far right as he is, however just the fact that he shakes things up in D.C., particularly the RINO's, is good enough for me. They are too entrenched and comfortable, and do everything they can to marginalize Cruz. However, Cruz made his position crystal clear when he said that he didn't go to Washington to make friends, he went there to represent his constituents in Texas. He's actually doing his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.