Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not a chance in Hades that he will get the GOP nomination not to mention winning the Whitehouse.
And, why do you say that? Care to make your case?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
It will come down to who the GOP leadership will want and feel has a chance to win it all, Jeb or Christie will be far more likely to be in the final cut. If it comes down to Bush verses Clinton a large percentage of voters will abstain from voting, after all what difference would it make.
Bush isn't a "given" and Christie isn't running. Bush won't capture the Republican base (he's too liberal). I think we're going to see a change.

Bush just doesn't have it.Americans are ready for a real conservative; not a fake.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bush isn't a "given" and Christie isn't running. Bush won't capture the Republican base (he's too liberal). I think we're going to see a change.

Bush just doesn't have it.Americans are ready for a real conservative; not a fake.
You are going to be Very Disappointed next year, enjoy your fantasy while it lasts.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
You are going to be Very Disappointed next year, enjoy your fantasy while it lasts.
Like so many liberals, you love to make a prediction, but unfortunately a prediction does not constitute an argument. Suppose that I as a fan of Rubio were to post: "Rubio is for sure going to be elected prez in 2016." What would that prove? Exactly nothing. See how it works?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Try fewer words next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Marco Rubio has been painting such a lovely quaint history of how his parents came to America to seek that "American Dream" and all..then he was born and grew up watching his father work so hard to provide for his mother and himself..And Yes..Miraculously a bartender father was able to finance their son's post secondary education..obtaining his Law Degree from University of Miami...Bravo Mr. Rubio....BUT he conveniently doesn't mention his parents had a whole lot of help handed to them on a silver platter...NOT like any other Landed Immigrant arriving on the shores of the US of A... below is just a snippet from article that explains exactly why ~~

The history of Cuban migration to the U.S. is dramatically different than that of other immigrant groups. In 1910, the number of Cubans living in the U.S. was estimated at a little more than 15,000. When Fidel Castro took power in 1959, the Cuban-American population in the United States exploded: 215,000 arrived in the years immediately following the revolution. A 2013 article in Daedalus by Marta Tienda and Susana M. Sanchez, “Latin American Immigration to the United States,” gives a history of Cuban immigration to the United States.
In 1966 the U.S. government passed the Cuban Adjustment Act, which codified a fast-track path to permanent residency for Cuban exiles, essentially providing immediate naturalization regardless of quotas and visa procedures. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Cuban migration to the U.S. accelerated: In 1994 alone, 33,000 Cubans were intercepted by the U.S. Coast Guard. In response, U.S. and Cuban governments worked to establish a solution that would prevent Cubans from risking their lives at sea. The result, in 1995, came to be known as the “wet foot, dry foot” policy: Any Cuban who successfully arrives on U.S. soil is accepted; those stopped at sea are repatriated. The policy remains in effect today. A 2011 article in Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal explores the preferential immigration treatment provided to Cuban migrants. A report by the Congressional Research Service, “Cuban Migration to the United States: Policy and Trends,” looks at past policies and potential future directions. - See more at: Cuban-Americans: Politics, culture and shifting demographics

Now having said this..I would also wish to remind everyone..that Mr. Rubio backing away then running away from his "Gang of 8" senators who managed to get a comprehensive Immigration Bill passed back in June 2013....Those would be Latino voting block folks are very angry at him and his desertion of their plight.. It's not very likely he's going to garner any votes from that demographic ..While, Politicians seem to dwell on the Latino demographics...There is a whole host of other Country of Origin Immigrants who have been left hanging too!....Over 11,400,000 or more are now in limbo..and the Dreamer's as well, unless Congress does something to figure out how to deal with it..Self-Deport isn't going to fly this time around...SO far, congress doesn't care to even tho tax coffers would expand ++ if allowed to register, wait in line, pay fines and in return have no fear of deportation...No Citizenship granted..NO voting ..but in the meantime all those children born to them (dreamers) could I suppose ..Course their votes would never go for any Conservative as long as they keep demonizing them,,JMOO of course

Old 04-22-2015, 11:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Marco Rubio 2016

Why does he even bother? Not only does he have no chance at the White Hosue, he doesn't have a chance at the GOP nomination.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why does he even bother? Not only does he have no chance at the White Hosue, he doesn't have a chance at the GOP nomination.
This is your opinion and it may or may not be true. Have you even thought about geting ready for 2020 or VP or other things? How many candidates run knowing they are not going to win? In this case it is not out of the question at all.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Like so many liberals, you love to make a prediction, but unfortunately a prediction does not constitute an argument. Suppose that I as a fan of Rubio were to post: "Rubio is for sure going to be elected prez in 2016." What would that prove? Exactly nothing. See how it works?
Every prediction I have ever made on any election has come true. I cannot say who will win this unless we know who the final candidates will be, but I can say with all confidence that Rubio will not be one, he does not even have that much support in his own state. As for Cruz, he is not even well liked within the GOP and there is no way many Independent voters would support him, he shot himself in the foot when he pulled his Green Eggs and Ham publicity show, some mistakes can cost you that job you sooooo want, tis life. And Rand simply is not mature enough to get there, yet. Get ready to back Walker or Bush, I doubt anyone else will even stand a chance. Enjoy

Old 04-23-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is your opinion and it may or may not be true. Have you even thought about geting ready for 2020 or VP or other things? How many candidates run knowing they are not going to win? In this case it is not out of the question at all.
We told ya the same thing about Ron Paul, how did that work out? Same here.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
I believe that Marco Rubio will get the republican nomination and will win the 2016 elections

He has a working class background, he is a 2nd generation American, he is relatively young, he's a Hispanic and a catholic who seems to sand up for the working class of America

he is the perfect candidate and could easily beat any democrat in the presidential elections

what are your views and opinions on Marco Rubio ?
I could see Rubio beating Clinton. But then, I could also see Clinton beating Rubio.

He does seem to be a politician with tremendous long-term upside. But for 2016? Not so much.

First, Iowa. How does he win there? Cruz and whatever combination of Huckabee and Santorum run are going to gobble up the social conservative vote there. Cruz and Paul will dominate the Tea Party Hawkeye caucusers - Rubio will grab a few of them, but he squandered most of the good will he'd established while surfing the Tea Party wave to office in 2010 when he came out in 2013 in support of granting legal status to undocumented immigrants (this was definitely the right thing to do, but he suffered for it - which is why he's flip-flopped back on the issue). Blue collar voters? The Governor next door in Wisconsin will dominate them. And the establishment base of the Iowa GOP? They belong to Jeb Bush.

Second, New Hampshire. The is Bush's to lose, period. It's like the state was tailor-made for a Jeb Bush candidacy. And if Iowa, as it so often does, serves up a Huckabee or Santorum or Cruz as caucus winner, the terrified GOP base will send Bush to a rousing victory in the Granite State. But Bush isn't the only problem - Paul's pseudo-libertarianism will carve out a nice chunk of the New Hampshire electorate, and Walker's blue collar-ism will probably do all right there - if he survives Iowa. Hell, even whatever silliness of a campaign Pataki puts together will probably take high single digits there.

Where's the path through Iowa and New Hampshire for Rubio? There just isn't one. There's no political oxygen for him in that room.

And here's a list of every Republican who has won the Presidential nomination, since the nomination process began being determined by the primary & caucus system in the 1970s, without winning either the Iowa Caucuses or the New Hampshire Primary:

[pretty short list, huh?]

Even if we move onto the next state in the primary process, South Carolina, that race will be between whichever of the social conservatives is still in the race at that point and the establishment choice of Bush (the likely frontrunner by then). After that, onto Florida. Of course, by then it will be too late - and anyway, unfortunately for Rubio, Jeb Bush is in the race and he will coast in Florida.

Besides, the establishment chooses the nominee, and the establishment always goes, not surprisingly, with the established candidate, not someone who is new on the scene. And that's Bush, not Rubio.

Oh, a Rubio nomination is a possibility - it's just a long one. He's got some great political talents and a compelling story. They're just not a particularly good fit in the primaries this time around.

I do think that a Rubio-Kasich ticket, in terms of electability, is probably the pinnacle of current possibilities for the GOP. However, Bush-Kasich is far more likely. Since both Bush and Rubio are Floridians, a Bush-Rubio ticket is effectively precluded, since Florida electors would be prevented by the Constitution from voting for both of them (and there's no real possible way to skirt that, a la the Cheney Texas-to-Wyoming maneuver in 2000).

All of that said, I have to say I admire that Rubio is not clinging to his Senate seat, the way some politicians do (Paul this time around, or Biden in 2008). He's forging ahead and taking his shot. If somehow he gets the nomination, it all works out. If not, and someone other than Bush is the nominee, he's an obvious top-tier contender for the second slot on the GOP ticket. And if none of that happens? Well, it just so happens that in 2018 the Republican Governor of Florida, Rick Scott is term-limited out. And what better way to burnish Rubio's political resume for a future Presidential bid that a term or two in the statehouse? And that's what I think is more likely - say, in 2024, Governor Rubio is the GOP nominee.

See, that's the thing about Rubio - he's only 43 years old. His window of opportunity for winning the Presidency will be open for a couple of decades after 2016. I won't be voting for him should he happen to be the nominee, but of all the Republicans who might plausibly be President, he's probably the one I'd rather see in the Oval Office ahead of all the rest. I'll be watching his run with interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections