Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

So far all of the GOP candidates have come out opposed to same-sex marriage. With the Supreme Court likely days away from striking down the bans how will the Republican candidates respond to the ruling

Will there be any who come out in support of the ruling?

Which candidates will stay opposed, but say they respect the ruling of the Court?

Which candidates will blast the ruling and continue to bring it up as parrt of their campaign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So far all of the GOP candidates have come out opposed to same-sex marriage. With the Supreme Court likely days away from striking down the bans how will the Republican candidates respond to the ruling

Will there be any who come out in support of the ruling?

Which candidates will stay opposed, but say they respect the ruling of the Court?

Which candidates will blast the ruling and continue to bring it up as parrt of their campaign?
If anyone comes out in favor of SSM it would probably be Rand Paul, but he'll probably only go as far as "oppose, but respect the decision of the court". I don't see anyone supporting the ruling. The Christian Conservatives are such a large part of the likely primary voters, I would expect the GOP field to blast such a ruling, almost to a man.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Walker is blasting the ruling and calling for an Amendment to the Constitution to leave marriage up to the states. Walker has been strongly opposed to same-sex marriage, and disagreed with the ruling when Wisconsin's ban was overturned, however had a bit more of a measured response at the time.

Quote:
The ruling was “a grave mistake,” the Republican governor said, touting his support for amending his state’s constitution “to protect the institution of marriage from exactly this type of judicial activism.”
“As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage,” Walker said in the statement.
Graham had a more measured response and talked about protecting religious freedoms and that he would not pursue an Amendment

Quote:
“[G]iven the quickly changing tide of public opinion on this issue, I do not believe that any attempt to amend the U.S. Constitution could possibly gain the support of three-fourths of the states or a supermajority in the U.S. Congress,” Graham said in his statement. “Rather than pursuing a divisive effort that would be doomed to fail, I am committing myself to ensuring the protection of religious liberties of all Americans.”

Read more: Scott Walker calls for Constitutional amendment to let states define marriage - POLITICO

Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Walker is blasting the ruling and calling for an Amendment to the Constitution to leave marriage up to the states. Walker has been strongly opposed to same-sex marriage, and disagreed with the ruling when Wisconsin's ban was overturned, however had a bit more of a measured response at the time.

Graham had a more measured response and talked about protecting religious freedoms and that he would not pursue an Amendment

Read more: Scott Walker calls for Constitutional amendment to let states define marriage - POLITICO
Between Graham and Walker you can tell which one attended law school, or any college for that matter.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Mike Huckabee calls the ruling unconstitutional.

“I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

Mike Huckabee: I Will Not Accept Gay Marriage Ruling By

Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Other reactions Huckabee slammed it

Quote:
The ruling is about “marriage redefinition,” he wrote, adding that the “only outcome worse than this flawed, failed decision would be for the President and Congress, two co-equal branches of government, to surrender in the face of this out-of-control act of unconstitutional, judicial tyranny.”

Jindal compared it to an all out assault on Christianity

Quote:
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said the decision “will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision.”
“This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty,” he added.
Santorum and Perry as expected slammed the ruling. Bush and Rubio had a more measure response. Trump slammed the ruling as well

Not going to post all the quotes here for Copyright reasons, but check it out here

Read more: 2016 election: Supreme Court's gay marriage decision prompts candidate reponses on Twitter - POLITICO

Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Mike Huckabee calls the ruling unconstitutional.

“I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

Mike Huckabee: I Will Not Accept Gay Marriage Ruling By
Would he also "not accept" Loving v. Virginia?
How does one not accept something they aren't forced to participate in?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If anyone comes out in favor of SSM it would probably be Rand Paul, but he'll probably only go as far as "oppose, but respect the decision of the court". I don't see anyone supporting the ruling. The Christian Conservatives are such a large part of the likely primary voters, I would expect the GOP field to blast such a ruling, almost to a man.
I think Paul would disagree but for the states rights take rather than anything based on a sexual nature like say Cruz, Perry or Huckabee.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
None of them will be elected even

Old 06-26-2015, 01:54 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Would he also "not accept" Loving v. Virginia?
How does one not accept something they aren't forced to participate in?
This is 2015. Except for a few hardcore racists of ANY "race"; few of us give a flying F over Loving vs. Virginia since so many of us are mixed race.

SSM: I'm not real comfortable with it but, the SCOTUS has spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections