Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,369,197 times

Advertisements

I've never liked Trump but he is speaking the truth and he is not backing down and I do like that. anyone except the blind should be able to see how illegals are hurting this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Like what? What do you mean?
What's a better way to say that we're getting a disproportionate amount of Mexico's undesirables in the form of illegal aliens?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's a better way to say that we're getting a disproportionate amount of Mexico's undesirables in the form of illegal aliens?

Tactfully.

First you talk about how America is a country built by immigrants. Trump can point to his own recent-immigrant family history.

Then, you start talking about illegal immigration. How it subverts our laws. You talk about how a disproportionate amount of illegals are in our prisons.

You then talk about the need for Canadian style immigration policies, where we value education and skills. That's a nice segue to discussion of how right now, America is importing poverty. Masses of unskilled workers (though as a Republican, you'd have to own up to big business being a main culprit for hiring these folks).

Talk about how the war on poverty will never be won as long as we import it en masse from other countries.

If you're smart, you take the time to note Mexico's own immigration laws, and how they enforce their own immigration laws (immediate deportations, etc.)

Honestly, so much better than saying, "Mexico doesn't send us their best." Way too blanket of a statement.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:22 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I do. My experience:

Had to go to a mandatory traffic court date with my then 17-year-old daughter as she was ticketed for a "rolling" stop. No accident. No property damage. No injuries. What happens on traffic court day is that all the cases requiring a translator (illegal aliens who don't speak English, have no driver's license, and have no insurance) are heard first. These cases involve illegals disobeying an assortment of traffic laws and regulations thereby causing accidents involving property damage and/or injuries. The judge tells them to get their license, buy insurance, come back to court with proof of both and he'll dismiss their charges. No fines or court costs are assessed.

My daughter's case is finally called. We ask for court supervision so her victimless "crime" rolling stop ticket doesn't go on her record. We have to pay the fine, pay court costs, pay for mandatory traffic school (to which illegals aren't even sentenced), and my daughter is placed on a 6-month supervision in which if any other violation occurs, this one is retroactively recorded as a conviction.

It's a farce, any way you look at it.

Similarly, I've posted before that I was hit by an unlicensed uninsured illegal alien (Filipino in this case) from behind on my motorcycle:
I'm really sorry for your daughter, yanno, I had the very same thing happen, got a ticket for a rolling stop, but didn't fight it. I was a kid, in the wrong, just paid the fine. And didn't mean that your daughter is wrong....just thinking out loud about my experience....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-02-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,047,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Is illegal immigration a problem? Less so than it used to be, but yes it is. Does that mean you frame the problem by pulling the " they're raping our wimmens" card? Not if you're actually wanting to have a sane, adult conversation on the subject.

My feelings aren't hurt. The inability to have a respectable conversation on this, and just about any subject, these days is. And calling Mexicans (not just illegals) criminal racist isn't doing jack to raise the level of discourse.
You tell that to those who have been harmed or had family members killed by people who weren't supposed to be here in the first place

Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Tactfully.

First you talk about how America is a country built by immigrants. Trump can point to his own recent-immigrant family history.
Everyone already knows that.

Quote:
Then, you start talking about illegal immigration. How it subverts our laws. You talk about how a disproportionate amount of illegals are in our prisons.
Most people already know that, too.

Quote:
You then talk about the need for Canadian style immigration policies, where we value education and skills.
But we don't. Our country won't even adequately educate our own top students:
Quote:
"But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope. U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain. Those in Finland, Sweden and Japan seemed to be on a different planet.

Top-scoring U.S. millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain."
U.S. millennials post "abysmal" test scores - Washington Post

Quote:
That's a nice segue to discussion of how right now, America is importing poverty.
Liberals are all for that. Those in poverty and getting freebie handouts vote overwhelmingly for Democrats.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
You tell that to those who have been harmed or had family members killed by people who weren't supposed to be here in the first place
The difference is, trump didn't make a distinction between illegal immigrants (no matter where they are from) and Mexicans. He could have said that we need to do something about illegal immigration any number of ways without going full racist. And the raping our wimmens comment was way over the top.

It was racist, it lacked tact, and it was the antithesis of any actual policy statement. But as stated before, he threw red meat out to a rabid base that is so out of touch with with 2015, so lacking in respect for others, and so lacking in self awareness that he surged in the polls.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,702,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I've never liked Trump but he is speaking the truth and he is not backing down and I do like that. anyone except the blind should be able to see how illegals are hurting this country.
This alone puts him above every other candidate from both parties IMO. The rest will all kowtow down to the dominate social them of the day. i.e. They stand for nothing.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM

39,288 posts, read 27,677,316 times
Well, Mr Trump has always been known to speak his mind, however controversial. He doesn't mince his words.

He managed to run very successful businesses and he managed to keep bullies like

Rosie O'Donnell in check.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM

10,204 posts, read 11,184,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The difference is, trump didn't make a distinction between illegal immigrants (no matter where they are from) and Mexicans. He could have said that we need to do something about illegal immigration any number of ways without going full racist. And the raping our wimmens comment was way over the top.

It was racist, it lacked tact, and it was the antithesis of any actual policy statement. But as stated before, he threw red meat out to a rabid base that is so out of touch with with 2015, so lacking in respect for others, and so lacking in self awareness that he surged in the polls.
And where do you think Most Illegals are from???? Mexico - that is right...

What he said wasn't racist - People always want to bring the Race card out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections