Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Jindal has a lot of Southern courting to do. He's in the middle of a huge pack of Southerners who are all going after the Southern vote.
Perry, Bush, Rubio, Huckabee, Cruz, Carson (from Maryland), Paul (from Kentucky), Graham, Jindal; they are all going after the same group of voters. How strong a southern base can any of them achieve when so many are after the same prize?

With so many running- I didn't even list the others who are not Southern- I can't see how the Republican primaries won't be split 6 ways from Sunday.

9 regional candidates is about 7 or 8 too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Jindal has a lot of Southern courting to do. He's in the middle of a huge pack of Southerners who are all going after the Southern vote.
Perry, Bush, Rubio, Huckabee, Cruz, Carson (from Maryland), Paul (from Kentucky), Graham, Jindal; they are all going after the same group of voters. How strong a southern base can any of them achieve when so many are after the same prize?

With so many running- I didn't even list the others who are not Southern- I can't see how the Republican primaries won't be split 6 ways from Sunday.

9 regional candidates is about 7 or 8 too many.
In the long run having nine candidates vying for the stupid vote will probably work in the GOP's favor. The stupids, who sadly outnumber the sanes these days, will divide their vote and the one of the three sane, viable candidates will emerge victorious. The stupids will fall in line soon enough. Getting their backing is as easy as making fourth graders laugh. With the fourth graders you tell a few fart jokes - with the stupids you just say l'brul, 'murica, Bible, and illegal in a sentence or two and they'll be singing your praises.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
In the long run having nine candidates vying for the stupid vote will probably work in the GOP's favor. The stupids, who sadly outnumber the sanes these days, will divide their vote and the one of the three sane, viable candidates will emerge victorious. The stupids will fall in line soon enough. Getting their backing is as easy as making fourth graders laugh. With the fourth graders you tell a few fart jokes - with the stupids you just say l'brul, 'murica, Bible, and illegal in a sentence or two and they'll be singing your praises.
While I'm sure you are right when saying one of the viable candidates will emerge, I'm not at all sure it will be in the GOP's favor. Rubio, for example, is no longer the flavor of the week, but his credentials, intelligence and qualifications are far less questionable than someone like Trump's, or a northern-tier populist's like Scott Walker's. Limping into the finals with a 2% victories in the south would certainly hinder Rubio against 17% wins for Walker in the northern tier.

Defining 'stupid' this year is harder than ever. At least here on this forum, it seems there are a lot of conservatives who think that a candidate's abilities to explode the other side's heads is more important a qualification than the ability to lead for all the citizens of this nation. Accomplishing that kind of leadership, the one thing everyone seems to want the most, requires more ability to keep the opposition's heads intact and more willing to compromise than to cause those heads to explode.

So what is 'stupid'? Nominating someone who is so didactic as to be paralyzing and divisional as President, or nominating someone who can actually get something actually accomplished, even if the accomplishments are imperfect?

A lot of smart folks here seem to prefer the first to the second, even though the entire RINO thing turned out to be nothing more than a perpetuator of stalemate, a condition that has hobbled our government's ability to lead at a time when leadership from all sides is a necessity world wide. Look to Greece to see what stalemate and irresponsible leadership brings.

Show me the leadership, please. I will never vote for a person who makes my head explode. I'm sure millions of voters feel the same way as I do in both parties.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Of course he's courting southern voters, he's from the south and been the governor of Louisiana for the past 7 years! I really hope he starts doing better in the polls. He may not have the best financial track record in his state but most voters don't care about that. He's spot on with the major issues voters care about.
He has actually been a Conservative Governor , of course the left would say that is a bad Governor. This may not be his year but he is definitely one of the fresh, young, up and coming candidates for the GOP. One just cant help but look at the field on the left and understand why they attack the GOP. WOW!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
He has actually been a Conservative Governor , of course the left would say that is a bad Governor. This may not be his year but he is definitely one of the fresh, young, up and coming candidates for the GOP. One just cant help but look at the field on the left and understand why they attack the GOP. WOW!
He would be if he was running in 2012, but now, Jindal is saddled with a really horrid record as governor. His state is in the toilet, fiscally, no thanks to his policies. He is gutting the K-12 education system AND LSU.

His playing to the reactionary wing on marriage equality is not doing the state any favors with corporates like IBM, nor to tourists.

I guess now the Bayou State can only fall back on the unofficial motto: "Thank God for Mississippi!"

Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
He would be if he was running in 2012, but now, Jindal is saddled with a really horrid record as governor. His state is in the toilet, fiscally, no thanks to his policies. He is gutting the K-12 education system AND LSU.

His playing to the reactionary wing on marriage equality is not doing the state any favors with corporates like IBM, nor to tourists.

I guess now the Bayou State can only fall back on the unofficial motto: "Thank God for Mississippi!"
Looks pretty good to me ....Bobby Jindal
Like I said obviously the left would consider it bad.

"Louisiana general fund spending has fallen during Bobby Jindal’s tenure as governor. At a time when states were increasing spending, Jindal instituted reforms that cut the state workforce and lowered per capita spending. This feat makes Jindal unique among Republican contenders for the presidency"

Old 07-12-2015, 02:14 PM

337 posts, read 405,940 times
The guy is a joke, his state is a joke and all he does is try and appeal to the innate racism of southerners (not a very hard thing to do).

Old 07-12-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
The guy is a joke, his state is a joke and all he does is try and appeal to the innate racism of southerners (not a very hard thing to do).
Wow, great post. Perhaps try a little substance to back up your disparaging remarks, or you can just read the post and link I posted previously and see just how ignorant your post is.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Looks pretty good to me ....Bobby Jindal
Like I said obviously the left would consider it bad.

"Louisiana general fund spending has fallen during Bobby Jindal’s tenure as governor. At a time when states were increasing spending, Jindal instituted reforms that cut the state workforce and lowered per capita spending. This feat makes Jindal unique among Republican contenders for the presidency"
Figures that it would be the Cato Institute putting out that report - they're focused on cutting government spending just from an ideological standpoint. What they don't say is that despite all that - the state is still in a mess.

Look at the report from the American Conservative, hardly a leftist source - who slam Jindal's record:

How Bobby Jindal Wrecked Louisiana | The American Conservative

And of course, the NY Times has reported on the budget problems and shortfalls of Jindal's policy choices:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/07/us...rtex.html?_r=0

Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Figures that it would be the Cato Institute putting out that report - they're focused on cutting government spending just from an ideological standpoint. What they don't say is that despite all that - the state is still in a mess.

Look at the report from the American Conservative, hardly a leftist source - who slam Jindal's record:

How Bobby Jindal Wrecked Louisiana | The American Conservative

And of course, the NY Times has reported on the budget problems and shortfalls of Jindal's policy choices:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/07/us...rtex.html?_r=0
You can also find plenty of info on how Bill Clinton was a subpar governor in Arkansas who did nothing but slightly improve th education system and a few highways in a dirt poor state, yet he was a pretty good president who served two terms. You can also find plenty of info showing George Bush was a terrible governor in Texas and he was a two term President as well. People voting at a national level don't really care what a candidate did as governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections