Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

There are some souls in the GOP Machine trying to resurrect two-time loser (as in elections not as a person) Mitt Romney as a candidate.

Will Mitt Romney Jump In? | | Observer

Mitt Romney & 2016 Campaign -- Some Donors Still Pine for Mitt Romney | National Review Online

Of course, a Romney advisor denied it and managed to make a prediction about Trump never being the candidate but then again, why does the media keep asking advisors/managers from losing campaigns for their "expert" opinion.

Former Mitt Romney adviser weighs in on rumors of run to take on Trump | fox13now.com

So as the big money influence-pedaling campaign donors are watching their dollars sprout wings and fly out the window, tell me your reaction. Is Romney getting into the race wishful thinking, a sign of desperation, a grand idea, an idea on nobody's radar screen - it's just the media making up stuff, a knee jerk reaction to "tax the hedge fund guys," other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
I would gladly vote for Romney again. He is a well qualified center-right candidate.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Oh, heck NO! Really, I think people that race horses and dogs have more brains than those racing these political candidates. Continuing to run a loser is a waste of time and money. Romney has zero chance even against the worst of the Democratic possibilities.

Romney as the Republican nominee takes my vote 3rd party.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There are some souls in the GOP Machine trying to resurrect two-time loser (as in elections not as a person) Mitt Romney as a candidate.

Will Mitt Romney Jump In? | | Observer

Mitt Romney & 2016 Campaign -- Some Donors Still Pine for Mitt Romney | National Review Online

Of course, a Romney advisor denied it and managed to make a prediction about Trump never being the candidate but then again, why does the media keep asking advisors/managers from losing campaigns for their "expert" opinion.

Former Mitt Romney adviser weighs in on rumors of run to take on Trump | fox13now.com

So as the big money influence-pedaling campaign donors are watching their dollars sprout wings and fly out the window, tell me your reaction. Is Romney getting into the race wishful thinking, a sign of desperation, a grand idea, an idea on nobody's radar screen - it's just the media making up stuff, a knee jerk reaction to "tax the hedge fund guys," other?
It's a dose of reality. Trump's ascendancy is a disaster for the RNC. Trump has no chance, I don't care who the Dem nominee is. Trump probably will fade, but if he doesn't then he will split the Republican field on his way to the nomination. A brokered convention will put Romney in as the compromise candidate as anyone else would be unacceptable to the other candidates' delegates.

Republican realists know that they had little chance in 16, anyway. Clinton's credibility problems opened a window of hope, but Bush's failure slammed that shut: Bush is the only one in the field who might have had a chance with a national electorate. Unless Republican voters come to their senses soon and get behind Bush (or maybe Kasich), it will be too late to salvage this election. Things look bleak indeed.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oh, heck NO! Really, I think people that race horses and dogs have more brains than those racing these political candidates. Continuing to run a loser is a waste of time and money. Romney has zero chance even against the worst of the Democratic possibilities.

Romney as the Republican nominee takes my vote 3rd party.
I see you are supporting the liberal, Donald Trump. I'm sure Romney is too conservative for you.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Lol....with all the rumors flying around if I'm hearing things correctly it will be Biden vs. Romney with Hillary watching from Leavenworth.

Politics makes for an awful hobby, just sayin.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I would gladly vote for Romney again. He is a well qualified center-right candidate.
He lost twice. How many times does he have to lose before you are convinced that he's done.

He got in trouble for speaking the truth because he looks/acts/talks normally like Little Lord Fauntleroy. There is an expectation of him of refinement.

"A video surfaced of Romney speaking before a group of supporters in which he stated that 47 percent of the nation pays no income tax, are dependent on the federal government, see themselves as victims, and will support President Obama unconditionally. Romney went on to say: 'And so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.'"

But then he does a Jeb Bush/Martin O'Malley and wimply says he spoke inelegantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

People don't want that. He spoke the truth. He should have stood up for what he said by repeating it. He'd get even less votes now.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Mitt had his chance to be POTUS. So did his father George. Give it up Mr Romney, please.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I see you are supporting the liberal, Donald Trump. I'm sure Romney is too conservative for you.
Trump doesn’t fit in any box. Last time around I had my conservative litmus tests. I have since found out that they don’t mean anything if you never hear from the candidate after you elect them. I still have my “red lines” but as long as they can deliver on a few big things I cut them slack. I am also willing to be persuaded to leave my encampment and check out the neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

People don't want that. He spoke the truth. He should have stood up for what he said by repeating it. He'd get even less votes now.
Well said. If he should have stood by what he said because it was factual IRS figures. However, he should have had enough smarts to follow up and explain what he wanted to do about it. The BLM analogy is particularly apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections