Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:30 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times

Advertisements

on the five yesterday they were talking about how carson is rising in the polls.

geraldo rivera (a republican) said his rise in the poll was due to pc. basically how conservative white males will say yes to carson on the phone to not appear racist, but once in the booth alone would vote for the white male (trump)

he referenced the race for governor in ny between giuliani and david dinkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
on the five yesterday they were talking about how carson is rising in the polls.

geraldo rivera (a republican) said his rise in the poll was due to pc. basically how conservative white males will say yes to carson on the phone to not appear racist, but once in the booth alone would vote for the white male (trump)

I love the 5, we watch it as often as we can and I like Geraldo as a person, but I rarely agree with him. I think some others were closer to right: the average American is tired of politics as usual, we are looking to the outside and he is an outsider. Plus these polls are so phoney as a rule; people will say almost anything. I do think that was Geraldos point though; not simply conservatives will say thus and so. Let's get over this "conservative white male" crap. There are conservatives that are not male, are not old and are not white. My guess is; anyone who would consider voting for Trump is not going to say yes to any poll asking about Carson and visa versa.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:06 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
When it comes to race of the candidate, I don't it matters to the "thinking" people. I had black friends that supported Obama and some that did not. Yes, you'll have people will vote for a person of their race just because the person is of the same race but even worse yet, I once read that some women, and I am a woman, vote for a man because of the way he looks, particularly his hair. I think that was in a discussion about the Kennedy's. Ah?

I prefer Trump over Carson simply based on the illegal immigration problem and US job situation. Carson, I could consider. Now, had Colin Powell ever ran for President, I would have voted him over any other possible candidate in the US. I choose the best candidate.

I just asked my husband of 30+ years about this and already knew the answer. He is a conservative white male and he would not hesitate to vote for the best candidate. He would tell an interviewer that in person or on the phone.

I would to admit that we are "outside the box" across the board. I would also like to think that the majority of people don't consider race the major factor in electing a President.

With the polls, with groups that are being aggressive, I think people tend to tell the group what they want to hear in fear of retaliation.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:16 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
That's probably no more true than some blacks who would say they would vote for trump and pull the lever for anyone black at the voting booth. I think black people struggle with race preference as much, if not more than whites. After all, it was hate voters that carried the president in. Not blacks. There simply arent enough blacks to pull it off? And god knows, they tried. Over 95% of the blacks voted rce straight down the line for Obama the last two general elections high completely proves my point. Imagine if 95% of the whites voted on racial lines? Oh the humanity! So, the liberal white contingent helped him into power along with Hispanics.

Why? Like always, it was in what they believe was/is their best interest.

Cases in point. There are millions of whites who like Colin Powell, Mia love, Condoleeza Rice and Tim Scott because they like their views which closely align to the right. It's no worse or no better. It has little to do about race and much more about beliefs?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
As little as the Republicans have worked with Obama I have a difficult time believing Republicans would vote for another black man. The Republican Party isn't exactly known for being inclusive.....

Old 09-04-2015, 06:22 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
So, Geraldo was basically saying that conservative white males wouldn't actually vote for a black Republican. He's even more loony than I thought Seriously, though, I ask him about conservative white male support for politicians like Tim Scott (elected statewide in South Carolina), Allen West, Mia Love, and JC Watts?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Geraldo is not a Republican.

He has been a registered Democrat in the state of NY for 35 years.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Geraldo is not a Republican.

He has been a registered Democrat in the state of NY for 35 years.
He's actually a registered Republican believe it or not. He self identifies as a moderate Republican. Remember, northeastern Republicans are sane. They are not lunatics.
Geraldo Rivera Senate run: Is he really a Republican? - CSMonitor.com

Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
As little as the Republicans have worked with Obama I have a difficult time believing Republicans would vote for another black man. The Republican Party isn't exactly known for being inclusive.....
Oh no? Then explain why the Democrats are only running white people

Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
He's actually a registered Republican believe it or not. He self identifies as a moderate Republican. Remember, northeastern Republicans are sane. They are not lunatics.
Geraldo Rivera Senate run: Is he really a Republican? - CSMonitor.com
Northeast Republicans are Progressives, therefore they are NOT sane, they are as crazy as they come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections