Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I honestly think Perot was working with Bill Clinton to steal away votes from Bush Sr. Having Perot taking away votes was the only way Bill had a chance to win, and it worked, Bill won with only 37% of the vote.
Perot went after Clinton - his entourage-300 people with him when Perot went to the debates.. Perot had 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Perot won every debate.. the pundits didn't say that till after Clinton was in.. Both sides bashed Perot calling him crazy... sound familar?

Perot was right on every point.. Nafta was strong armed in by Clinton.
Perot in some aspects was crazy. The main thing I knew about him for years was an interview with MTV. In this interview he went off-topic and talked about kids having sex like jack-rabbits.

As for NAFTA, unless Perot won and vetoed it, we all knew it would happen. Even if he did veto it, it might have been passed by a 2/3rd majority of both houses of Congress.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I wouldn't vote for either one, but what does Perot s height have to do with anything?
Because it seems America "might" prefer taller presidents.

18 presidents were 6.0 tall or taller" (Abraham Lincoln 6.4")
7 presidents were 5.11"
8 were 5.9-5.10"
5 were 5.8"
3 were 5.7"
2 were 5.6"
1 was 5.4" (James Madison 5.4")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height..._United_States

Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Bill Clinton won in 1992 because of Ross Perot stealing many votes from Bush Sr. There are people close to the Clintons that said Ross, and Bill talked almost daily during the election.

Trump is chummy with the Clintons, I wonder if Trump will ultimately run as an independent to make sure that Hilary wins.
Nope. Exit polls in 1992 indicated that 38% of Perot voters said Bush was their second choice, an identical 38% said Clinton was their second choice, and the remainder said they would not have voted.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ross-pero...rump-candidacy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archiv...-f3ee9f2325d1/

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Is there a character difference?
One has some class, the other not so much, but both are narcissists and both want to be Emperor, neither will ever get close.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 PM

587 posts, read 379,532 times
I remember that election. Bill Clinton was very popular back then. I remember most people around me saying they were voting for Clinton.

I don't know if it was because Bill Clinton back then was a fresh young face or because people didn't like Bush Sr because of the Gulf War

Ross Perot was sort of a joke. Everybody knew he wasn't gonna win. I don't recall his agenda but I don't remember it being as negative as Trump's who has offended Mexicans, women, blacks and even POW.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
I remember that election. Bill Clinton was very popular back then. I remember most people around me saying they were voting for Clinton.

I don't know if it was because Bill Clinton back then was a fresh young face or because people didn't like Bush Sr because of the Gulf War

Ross Perot was sort of a joke. Everybody knew he wasn't gonna win. I don't recall his agenda but I don't remember it being as negative as Trump's who has offended Mexicans, women, blacks and even POW.
It wasn't the Gulf War, at that time it wasn't as protested as even Afghanistan was. Then again the UN just wanted Iraq out of Kuwait as oppose to toppling Saddam (a bit of a mistake in the long run.) Bush was very popular at that point. It wasn't until late 1992, the tide turned with the economy and factories shutting down.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Perot in some aspects was crazy. The main thing I knew about him for years was an interview with MTV. In this interview he went off-topic and talked about kids having sex like jack-rabbits.

As for NAFTA, unless Perot won and vetoed it, we all knew it would happen. Even if he did veto it, it might have been passed by a 2/3rd majority of both houses of Congress.

that makes his crazy for going to MTV over 20 years ago and telling kids to have self control.....I guess he was right on, have you seen MTV lately?

He was right on again on NAFTA.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post

you have no idea what you are talking about. Bill Clinton wasn't popular. He got 43% of the popular vote in 1992 and the reason he won was that Ross Perot a conservative took votes from the Republican Party.

Ross Perot never offended Mexicans, women, blacks or POW....you are a low information voter.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
There are quite few similarities between Perot and Trump. Perot had a disdain for career politicians, the same as Trump. He tapped into the public's dissatisfaction with how elected officials did not represent the people's wishes or were not acting in their best interest. He seemed to make sense and his claim that NAFTA would lead to job loss was correct. Working class Americans felt he would protect their interests. I know many folks who were disenchanted by politics and had not voted in years (and in some cases never before) who voted for him, myself included.

The pundits were constantly disparaging him, same as Trump, but his popularity was growing. He was definitely on a roll, but after he dropped out and then returned, the momentum was lost. I remember him giving the reason for his dropping out was some kind of threat to his family, which was attacked as "crazy". But who knows? Given the antipathy towards Trump by the GOP, and their plans to derail him, I would not put anything past them. Look what they did to Ron Paul and his supporters. Politics is a dirty business. It will be interesting to see if Trump can withstand all they will do to destroy him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections