Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should candidates who are able to generate profits for media ask them to donate to charity ?
YES 30 61.22%
NO 11 22.45%
Depends on the charity ? 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM

587 posts, read 379,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump suggested that he could say to CNN: "I'm not showing up unless you give $10 million to cancer, to this, to that. You pick 10 great charities, $1 million per."
He also mused that he should be paid to show up for interviews.
"They should all pay me for this," Trump told The Hollywood Reporter in August. "I'm doing this for nothing.".
He says he is doing for nothing? Please. He is doing it to promote himself. That's free advertising that usually costs millions in political ads.

I think Trump is trying to avoid going to the debate. He wants to run all his campaign on Twitter. Last time threw tantrums for weeks when they asked him "a tough question"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Well CNN are you going to do it? It is about time that someone is recognizing the Veterans need more then what they are getting now. Everyone is turning the blind eye to them. Instead of saying thank you to them give a hundred to the vets.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:09 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There are very few commercial breaks in televised debates. Just 1, maybe 2, in the Fox debates and was mainly for a pee break for the old men. How would you determine profit as opposed to revenue?
If that’s the case why is CNN promoting it every 5 minutes?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
I believe that Veterans deserve what they were promised at the time they enlisted. Access to VA healthcare has always been a part of that promise. If we can train, equip, and mobilize hundreds of thousands of soldiers to fight the enemy on foreign soil. Then we can make the same effort to provide the benefits promised. No solider should be discharged without first being enrolled in the VA system. If they use that system in the future is a choice they can make. No one should have to die waiting to get into the system. If the politicians had a desire to fix this problem it wouldn't be a problem now. If you can do the discharge paperwork when the solider is no longer useful then the paperwork to enroll them into the VA can be done at the same time. No excuses are acceptable.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If I was CNN I'd tell Trump to go blow himself. It's black mail and a poor precedent to set. What next, will a winning quarter back demand a network donate money to his favorite charity, or other celebrities who go on talk shows do the same? These networks and cable shows are in the business to make money. They have a right to do that. So what if some shows make more than others. I'm sure they help pay for the less-profitable-but-badly-needed media coverage.
Who picked Fox and CNN to run the debates? Does anybody know? it was a bad idea to start with. They should be covering the news, not make the news. RNC should run the debates and invite whoever wants to cover it to show up.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
CNN is a private company. It's nobody's business what they do with their profits.

Trump needs to move to Venezuela or Cuba where he can take over the private sector

Or better yet he can donate his own money if he is as wealthy as he claims he is and if he is that concerned about veterans

How much has he donated to veterans causes? Probably zero dollars. Typical Hypocrite telling others to donate to charity when he rarely donates any money himself.
Actually, it reminds me of college football and basketball players. Their schools make a lot of money off of them but they don't get a dime...unless you count scholarships.

In the case of the politicians, in the past and for the majority, you could translate the debate scenario as CNN is giving them free publicity. That would be publicity they would have to pay for in advertising to be able to reach the vast audience that CNN will reach in the debate. So, I think that's a wash.

Trump is saying that their audience will be a lot smaller if he doesn't appear so he wants CNN guy to pony up for the vets. You may not realize this but Trump is doing something else. He's trying to show voters there is a deal to be had and he's the one who initiated it. What if CNN Head Guy says "No way, you first" and Trump says, "I'll pony up $5M if you pony up the other $5M? Then, the deal is made. Trump has now shown voters he knows how to negotiate plus the veteran's organizations get some money, CNN still makes money, the candidates get their free publicity and Trump proves to the voters he's good at deal-making. Everybody wins. Plus, the good will is there between Trump and CNN should Trump become President.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If that’s the case why is CNN promoting it every 5 minutes?
True and quite dramatically, too. There may be less breaks but they may be longer plus there are viewers who will hang around for the after debate and pre-debate analysis.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This isn't about CNN donating to anything. This is Trump putting CNN on the defensive.
No, it's Trump showing voters he knows how to make a deal.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Trump is not making any money for performing in the debate, but a large part of it's appeal is because he is participating. CNN is taking advantage of that.
I wonder how much $$$ the participants in Trump's beauty pageants make if they don't win and how much of his profits from those pageants he contributes to charity?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Its all about the Hype right now for all involved.

CNN and all the other Networks know the money/viewership is with the Repug primary and everything surrounding it for the next 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections