Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should candidates who are able to generate profits for media ask them to donate to charity ?
YES 30 61.22%
NO 11 22.45%
Depends on the charity ? 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times

Advertisements

This is something that no other presidential candidate has ever done that I can recall.

On Tuesday we will be in Los Angeles aboard the USS Iowa battleship. Veteran’s for a Strong America is hosting a ‘Make America’s Military Great Again’ rally. I bet we can expect to hear more about that in his speech in L.A. I have to say I enjoy how Trump uses and treats the media and this puts them on the spot.

Most politicians are only raising money for themselves or their campaigns.

Is CNN only interested in the additional profit or will they bite and make some kind of donation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM

587 posts, read 379,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
This is something that no other presidential candidate has ever done that I can recall.

On Tuesday we will be in Los Angeles aboard the USS Iowa battleship. Veteran’s for a Strong America is hosting a ‘Make America’s Military Great Again’ rally. I bet we can expect to hear more about that in his speech in L.A. I have to say I enjoy how Trump uses and treats the media and this puts them on the spot.

Most politicians are only raising money for themselves or their campaigns.

Is CNN only interested in the additional profit or will they bite and make some kind of donation ?
CNN is a private company. It's nobody's business what they do with their profits.

Trump needs to move to Venezuela or Cuba where he can take over the private sector

Or better yet he can donate his own money if he is as wealthy as he claims he is and if he is that concerned about veterans

How much has he donated to veterans causes? Probably zero dollars. Typical Hypocrite telling others to donate to charity when he rarely donates any money himself.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
CNN is a private company. It's nobody's business what they do with their profits.

Trump needs to move to Venezuela or Cuba where he can take over the private sector

Or better yet he can donate his own money if he is as wealthy as he claims he is and if his that concerned about veterans

How much has he donated to veterans causes? Probably zero dollars.
Yep. CNN has no obligation to give to charity just because somebody tries to shame them into doing so.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Trump should say he will match any donation CNN makes from the profits of the debate.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:26 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
It is up to CNN to make that call.. Trump probably would like to see someone step up to the plate and contribute to the VETS if only a small portion.. It would actually help CNN because I am sure it would be a write off on taxes and would generate more good will for CNN. It is a good suggestion but it is CNN who has the total call.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:30 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Considering that the last debate broke records as far as viewers went, CNN is charging 40 times more than their normal advertising rate. It's not too much to ask CNN to donate at least a portion of the revenue. But the record profits - as usual - will only serve to enrich the corporate officers and stockholders.

Celebrity Apprentice donated all proceeds to charities chosen by the celebrities. Even the charities of the "losers" were given consolation prize money. Trump's suggestion isn't out of character for him.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
This isn't about CNN donating to anything. This is Trump putting CNN on the defensive.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post

Or better yet he can donate his own money if he is as wealthy as he claims he is and if he is that concerned about veterans

How much has he donated to veterans causes? Probably zero dollars. Typical Hypocrite telling others to donate to charity when he rarely donates any money himself.
Trump is not making any money for performing in the debate, but a large part of it's appeal is because he is participating. CNN is taking advantage of that.

As far as veterans causes, your hatred of Trump is blinding you to the facts. He has donated to Paralyzed Veterans of America, The Wounded Warrior Project as well as these following charities:

https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/donald-trump

Or course, the next accusation will be he hasn't donated enough?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Liberals rail against corporate profit do if CNN is raising the cost 40 times normal I would think liberals should be outraged!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 PM

587 posts, read 379,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Considering that the last debate broke records as far as viewers went, CNN is charging 40 times more than their normal advertising rate. It's not too much to ask CNN to donate at least a portion of the revenue. But the record profits - as usual - will only serve to enrich the corporate officers and stockholders.

Celebrity Apprentice donated all proceeds to charities chosen by the celebrities. Even the charities of the "losers" were given consolation prize money. Trump's suggestion isn't out of character for him.
Nonsense you obviously never watched the show. Most of the money was raised by the contestants(they had to call their rich friends for donations) and through sponsors. The Donald rarely donated any money himself and I'm sure he was making a lot more money from the show. It was a for profit show. Stop making it sound like all profits went to charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections