Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM

782 posts, read 1,088,013 times

Advertisements

I have always stated that the polls numbers for Trump are skewed due to political climate of media, etc. I think Trump's support is much higher than the 23-25% range.
Yeah, I know there are many who would disagree. So, to those I say; bookmark this page and then come back in several months to see who was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM

22,483 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Not well, from what I've read, which is why she never speaks in public. She and Jeb! converse in Spanish at home. Wouldn't that just put Conservatives in a tailspin, to have a First Lady who only speaks Spanish?
I would think that it would put anyone "in a tailspin"---on either side of the aisle---to have a first lady who doesn't speak English. After all, English is the language that binds us all and the days of the quiet first lady are long gone. First ladies are now expected to be in the public eye and take up a cause that's important to them.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,489,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Can someone explain Ben Carson to me?
He's very intelligent, has a great life story, and he's a likable person.

Pros: Very popular with the evangelical branch of Republicans, Very popular with the establishment Republicans who feel we need to appeal to certain demographics, and very popular with Tea Party conservatives. He also appeals to people who don't understand Trump, and don't like his blunt communication style. They can't see past that, and therefore see him as and ignorant blowhard, despite his impressive life long record of excellence in business, quick wit, and Trump's history of predicting outcomes of past events. It is very hard for me to understand how you couldn't like Trump. I'm an unapologetic Trump Supporter, but I'll take those who don't care for Trump at their word and accept that his personality isn't for them. They see Carson as an outsider and a more refined rational choice over Trump, but I think a lot of them gloss over some of Carson's shortcomings.

Negatives: Way too far right on social issues. This will alienate far too many young voters, even those who self identify as Republicans. When he goes off script he can delve into some fairly strange conspiracy theories, and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually gets called out on this in the future. I don't like his immigration plan, as one of the millions of voters who are pushing to bring this issue to the forefront I can't support him for that reason alone. I do not support a "guest worker plan". It just wouldn't work. We don't even enforce our current laws, and I suspect that Carson's Plan would be a slippery slope towards amnesty.

I don't see Carson winning, and as a Trump supporter I don't see him as a threat.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
377 people who identified as Republican were polled.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I would think that it would put anyone "in a tailspin"---on either side of the aisle---to have a first lady who doesn't speak English. After all, English is the language that binds us all and the days of the quiet first lady are long gone. First ladies are now expected to be in the public eye and take up a cause that's important to them.
I agree. I've been doing some research on Columba and it seems she hates politics, hates anything and everything to do with it, and frequently declined to accompany Jeb! to fundraisers or political affairs when he was governor. She even told someone in the press once that her husband’s career had damaged their children, and that she reportedly told Jeb he had ruined her life. Here's an interesting profile of Columba if anyone is interested.

Who Is Columba Bush? - The Atlantic

I'm kind of surprised that he is running for president with a wife who seems so opposed to it. As you said, the days of the quiet little woman who isn't expected to do much but smile and wave is long gone. These days we have expectations of our First Lady, and I seriously question if Columba is up to the task, or even wants to be.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

I'm kind of surprised that he is running for president with a wife who seems so opposed to it. As you said, the days of the quiet little woman who isn't expected to do much but smile and wave is long gone. These days we have expectations of our First Lady, and I seriously question if Columba is up to the task, or even wants to be.
Not to mention that she knows what some people think of her already (the white-is-right crowd are fully as vile toward her as they are toward Michelle Obama. I googled Columba once, and needed a bunch of chocolate to recover from what I saw).

I wonder whether this is one reason for Bush's seeming lack of fire on occasion.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,293,333 times
Is there video of Colooomba coming down the escalator?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not to mention that she knows what some people think of her already (the white-is-right crowd are fully as vile toward her as they are toward Michelle Obama. I googled Columba once, and needed a bunch of chocolate to recover from what I saw).

I wonder whether this is one reason for Bush's seeming lack of fire on occasion.
Yes, she has to have seen how vile conservatives have been toward Michelle Obama and knows they would turn that on her, so it's not like she has any delusions in that regard. I have to say that frankly, this makes me lose even more respect for Jeb! than I had to begin with, which admittedly wasn't much, for him to be dragging her into the limelight when it's so obvious she doesn't want to be there. For the life of me I can't figure out what he's doing in the race. He never looks like he wants to be there, either.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 PM

22,483 posts, read 12,022,969 times
This is the only video that I found of Columba Bush speaking English:

Columba Bushs broken English speech | Video | C-SPAN.org

She is reading off a sheet of paper that has a prepared speech.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,293,333 times
No wonder he is keeping her in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections